Darius11

What Age should the age of consent be?

>Personally I think 16 is far more in line for most of those limits
>then the current rage from 18 to 21..

Perhaps. When I grew up you could drive at 17 and drink at 18. We seemed to have no problems. Then the age went up and it seemed like the problems associated with it (drunken brawls at parties, drunk driving) went up as well.

Since I "had" to work, I got a hardship driving permit at 14 and remember taking that first drink around 15 or 16. Usually we wouldn't drink and drive though. Most of us would meet at a friends house whose parents were out of town for the weekend, where we would drink and spend the night.

Always wondered what the friends parents thought about all the weak booze they had since we watered it down so they wouldn't know we had sampled all the open bottles!

Blue skies,

Jim

Perhaps. When I grew up you could drive at 17 and drink at 18. We seemed to have no problems. Then the age went up and it seemed like the problems associated with it (drunken brawls at parties, drunk driving) went up as well.

Some ppl were just born at the right time :)

At 17 I was in Viet Nam, we could drink at the em club, same held true in NC in advanced training.
When I returned to the states I was stationed in Cali, 21 was the age. I was discharged just b4 I turned 21, I turn 21 and they lower the age to 18.
Drunken brawls never happened in the Marines, we did fall down a lot though.

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

I was still a kid, but I remember when the voting age in the US was lowered from 21 to 18. It was during the Vietnam war; and during the campaign for the lower voting age, the slogan was "Old enough to fight; old enough to vote." Once that age of majority was effectively lowered to 18, lots of states followed suit and lowered their drinking ages to 18. Now I think just about all the states in the US have raised the drinking age back up to 21, but I think that's been done mostly on the basis of drunk-driving accident statistics. Currently in the US, 18 yr old men must register for the draft, but there's no active draft. (yet...but wait until we invade Iran and N. Korea detonates a nuke test...) It was easier to sell a lower drinking age back when we still had an active military draft. I wonder what the climate will be next time around? If the active draft resumes, should a drinking age exception be made for active-duty military? Seems unfair to draft an 18 yr old into life-hazardous duty but not let him have a beer.

Andy I think it's a different culture. 18 year olds in the US, like 21 year olds would drink until they die.

Europe, where drinking laws are sane, that sort of binge drinking doesnt occur.

The UK straddles the two. Drinking laws are somewhat stupid at 18, which leads to a great deal of binge drinking - although less hazardous than US binging, statistically.

However, pub culture (something which is totally alien to the US) means that most UKians grow up in close proximity to beer and people drinking it - which takes a lot of the edge off.

So basically, yes, American's can't hold their drink - don't make or drink decent beer (Sam Adams excepted) and are generally like weight pussies until its too late for it to be cool.

I base this on myspace pictures of 'THE DAMAGE!!!' and it being of 9 bud light cans and 4 empty hard lemonade bottles between 4 people, including 1 who's over 230 lbs.

Fuck those american legal age drinkers.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Hahaha. Thats a poor effort ;) Normally do a good 5/6 cans before I go onto the hard stuff, normally double vodka & Red Bull - I can taste it now... mmmm

Beer tastes of shite. I change drinks once I cant take anymore. If your not going to the toilet 3 times an hour... your not drinking enough :D

i think we fucking rock were drinking is concerned B|

Can you imagine a typical yank out on the piss with us on a Saturday night? he'd be taken home in an ambulance at 10pm, while we get even more bladdered :D

don't get me started on us Brits on the piss when we go on holiday..... COME ON, lets 'av it !!!! B|

when I first came here to vist in my early 20s I'd go to college parties and watch these huge football player kids falling down drunk after sniffing a budweiser.......ok, thats not fair, basically they drink sixpacks of beer that have about the potency of heineken (the UK version, not the premium EXPORT yuppie US version - yes boys, only in the US can piss be sold as a yuppie awesome beer status symbol - kinda like shitty mexican beer in the UK).

So yes, US binge drinking college kids are absolute pussies and my 8 year old could drink them under the table.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

and my 8 year old could drink them under the table.

Thats the spirit, get him or her trained up young. Build up an immunity. Dont want them to be one of these 'half a shandy bass and im anyones' type of drinkers. *shudders*

Pedophilia jokes are not allowed here. That's clearly stated in the Forum Rules:

2. No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

The point of this rule is to establish a certain minimum standard for discussions and conduct in this community. Everyone else involved in this discussion seems to have understood that, and taken the topic seriously. You have obviously not.

You already received your last warning. I've banned you from Speakers' Corner permanently.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It's a bad linkage.

You don't need to be 18 to know that killing is bad. And there's no age where murder becomes a reasonable option.

Actually...

...the understanding that "death is forever" comes to children later than many of the other understandings they need to function in the adult world.

I think this figures into at least some of the killings we see committed by children.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It's a bad linkage.

You don't need to be 18 to know that killing is bad. And there's no age where murder becomes a reasonable option.

Sex, otoh, is perfectly fine for the right reasons. Our society holds that minors as a rule aren't emotionally mature enough to know when not to.

Why is it appropriate to second-guess when NATURAL BIOLOGY tells a person that he or she wants (is ready for?) sex??

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

It's a bad linkage.

Actually...

...the understanding that "death is forever" comes to children later than many of the other understandings they need to function in the adult world.

I think this figures into at least some of the killings we see committed by children.

rl

I don't. I think that a sick mind, fueled by sick information and sick examples and sick entertainment go a long way toward making a kid just not care about anyone in society but him or herself.

And I think that kids certainly do understand that death is forever. But, like many things, it is the GRAVITY of that truth that may elude them for a while.

I am only now realizing the stark permanence of death, having lost my mother and my grandmother (in that order) in recent years. I realize now that I can never again ask either one of them questions to which I might really want to know the answer. I can't ask my mother why she chose my name as she did? I can't ask her about what it was like to carry me. These things don't occur to you until years later (in my case, my thirties).

But that doesn't mean a kid can't understand that killing someone kills them forever. I think that the sick murdering kids these days simply decide, "Humph. I don't give a fuck!"

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Andy I think it's a different culture. 18 year olds in the US, like 21 year olds would drink until they die.

Europe, where drinking laws are sane, that sort of binge drinking doesnt occur.

The UK straddles the two. Drinking laws are somewhat stupid at 18, which leads to a great deal of binge drinking - although less hazardous than US binging, statistically.

However, pub culture (something which is totally alien to the US) means that most UKians grow up in close proximity to beer and people drinking it - which takes a lot of the edge off.

So basically, yes, American's can't hold their drink - don't make or drink decent beer (Sam Adams excepted) and are generally like weight pussies until its too late for it to be cool.

(There's an age when drinking makes one cool?)

Wait a minute, please.

Isn't England one of the places (in Europe, duh) where the drinking age is 18?

Isn't England the place that has the police handing out CANDY BARS to drunks who are crawling out of pubs 'n' clubs in search of munchies, who can't manage to behave in a civil manner as they do so?

Yeah. That's what I thought. :|

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Why is it appropriate to second-guess when NATURAL BIOLOGY tells a person that he or she wants (is ready for?) sex??

Mankind probably survived many thousands of years with just that scenario -- kids having sex and bearing children as soon as they could. That was back when career paths were limited to hunting and gathering positions. (still the case in Alabama and parts of Africa).

Then civilization came along, and life got more complicated. As a result, it took longer to prepare kids for "real life", including education, so parents began deterring their kids from having kids so quickly. You get the idea.

This is why it is appropriate to "second guess" biology. 10-12 year kids are just not prepared to survive in the modern world; thus having sex and bearing children is a bad idea for them.

. . =(_8^(1)