tso-d_chris

Would You vote for Billvon for President?

First, my apologies to Billvon, Who, AFIK, has no desire to run for President. Of course, I have long held the belief that a desire to hold such a powerful office should immediately disqualify one from attaining it.

He is intelligent, educated, articulate, (usually) very patient and diplomatic, and used to working tirelessly for low pay for the benefit of others (as a mod). IMO the nation could do (and has done) worse when electing our leader.

Of course this post is not really about getting Bilvon elected. I'm not even saying he is the most qualified person that contributes to these forums. I'm just using him as an example, as he seems to have a well deserved respect among most DZ.commers.

The US population seems to have the perception that professional politicians contribute to, if not cause, many of the nations problems. Yet, when given alternative options, we rarely take them seriously at the polls.

What would it take to ignore corporate opinion of candidates, and vote based on the actual qualifications and platform with respect to real, relevant issues and the best interest of the nation?

As far as I can tell, both of the entrenched political parties have gone to great lengths to manipulate thought and offer disingenuous arguments. The 2004 election campaign, as usual, was more about finding out who the more effective fact distorter was than who was the most qualified candidate.

Personally, I think the whole charade is getting old, and would like to see real change. I don't see how that is going to happen if we continue accepting the status quo. Which means electing officials that are not already part of the problem.

So, would you vote for him?

You don't have a 'yes, but I disagree with many of his political views' option.

That's OK though. When we have President JACKASS in office, Bill will probably be requested to be Secretary of Energy...or VP...or something more important, such as Secretary of Keeping The President Supplied With Tequila.

:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Hell, _I_ wouldn't vote for me. I don't have any political skills, and I'd take really long vacations to skydive.

Your lack of political skills is a strength as much as a weakness, IMO.

And you realize that you could be the first skydiver ever to jump from Marine One and swoop the Rose Garden, right? ;)

my vote would be for you in light of your post. :)
you are absolutely correct in your synopsis of america's current situation. too many people are working toward being "electable" when, in reality, it takes a true leader/first-class human being to work as much as is necessary to be the leader of this mess and have it turn out right.

i gave up my illusion/delusion of being america's leader when i realised that it takes more energy to be the leader than it does to benefit from the freedoms that this country offers me. i am content in knowing that i put the effort into researching who i vote for and being a citizen of value.

this is why i'm totally committed to being a good scientist during the week and using the funds to have as much fun challenging myself in the air as possible...yes, i have been bitten by the skydiving bug and my existance revolves around it.

i am a person that believes that each individual needs to participate in the advancement of our nation in some degree, as opposed to being a detriment to it. other than that...do what you want to do because, in the end, it will make you a more productive and happy person.

if you are a detriment to the society that you live in...then you deserve nothing that your society offers.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Good post, and yes it is the sign of a largely whiny populace that there is so much complaining but so little real effort to change. Stop electing the same genre of people over and ovewr again. Bottom line though is that humans, like all animals, resist change at a very deep level. It's part of survival. Better the evil you know (as well as the comforts they provide) than the evil you don't know. It's why genetics, and not freedom of will, works as a change agent for the natural world, because genes have no mind and blindly allow adaptation without any kind of sentience that could resist change.

But I digress.

I really just wanted to nominate myself for a cabinet post. I want the one that gives me Wednesday nights off for skydiving. Perjaps the Minister of Silly Walks.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Hell, _I_ wouldn't vote for me. I don't have any political skills, and I'd take really long vacations to skydive.

And you'd be having secret service skydivers along on every jump... no freedom... if someone's about to make a hard dock on you, the SS might shoot them out of the sky... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

my vote would be for you in light of your post. :)

:$

Thanks, but I'm not qualified, according to the Constitution. I guess I can't use the "I don't wanna be" excuse though; it would be hypocritical of me. I think Billvon would be better qualified. ;)

I very much agree with your post, though.

Of course, I have long held the belief that a desire to hold such a powerful office should immediately disqualify one from attaining it.

AGREED

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wouldn't vote for him, not because i don't think he'd do a good job it's because he'd neved fulfill his 4 year term. Someone would just assinate him! J/K BillVon. ;) Plus, i don't think he could stand the pay cut. B|

He would be a whole lot better than Clinton or Gore!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Sounds a little bit like the one we've got now.....but I don't think you'd invade some sandpile halfway around the world just to settle a grudge with your dad either. Besides, have you considered the retirement benefits (medical, Secret Service detail, your own Presidential Library, etc.) ????

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Besides, have you considered the retirement benefits (medical, Secret Service detail, your own Presidential Library, etc.) ????

You might be onto something trying to lure him with a Presidential Library.

I am curious as to why 18 (at this time) people would consider him unqualified, and what eactly they consider to be the most important qualifications for a Presidential candidate.

I am curious as to why 18 (at this time) people would consider him unqualified, and what eactly they consider to be the most important qualifications for a Presidential candidate.

I thought it was would you vote for him, not is he qualified.

I think qualifications are as follows:

1 - must be at least 35
2 - Home born citizen/resident
3 - Likely some caveat for criminal record

It's in there somewhere. I like his style quite a bit here. I wouldn't vote for him mainly because of repeated statements indicating how little he thinks of the average guy's intelligence and judgement. That leads to a nanny attitude if you're good intentioned (this is inferrable in the specific case), it leads to a master race attitude if your bad intentioned. We don't need either. But he scores points for not wanting that type of job.

Plus I'd hate to see any skydiver running because of the grief they'd get from the opposing party. I don't mind candidates getting gigged on the stuff they do. But I really hate seeing anybody getting crap for things they didn't do, didn't 'really' say, etc. And this is 90% of the crap. What a waste of energy.

Edit: Definitely for the USPA board. I like reasoned critical thinkers

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I thought it was would you vote for him, not is he qualified.

You're correct. That was the question. What I was curious about was how the majority (as of this posting) would vote for him. However, of those that would not, the majority voted he "would be a waste of ballot space."

That seems odd to me, especially when considering that one of the more conservative SC posters suggested (too late, unfortunately) a *Yes, in spite of disagreeing with his political opinions* option.

It just seems an odd way for the opinions to break down, IMO.

Bill and I disagree on almost everything. I disagree with his views and do not believe he has the political experience. He's still a cool guy though. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I disagree with his views and do not believe he has the political experience.

The older I get, the more I believe that "political experience" is nearly synonymous with "won't disrupt the staus quo." I would prefer an informed, intelligent candidate without political experience to someone who has that political experience, but is unwilling to ruffle the feathers of their political party members.

Maybe I'm one of few that is sick of the left vs. right stautus quo.