Henryhops

Rig checked luggage?

Hello everyone, I need to check my rig (flying LA to Shenzhen, China) and am having trouble finding a proper suitcase for it. The rig is new and I've not held it in my arms yet (friend is bringing it over) so I'm not 100% on what dimensions I'll need - it's a Mirage G4 with a170 main. I was told 24"*16"*16" ... does that sound right? That last 16" deep seems pretty thick... I need to get a proper hard case for him to bring it back in - can anyone suggest luggage to check a rig in? Thanks!

have him carry it on as a personal item in itself. I never, ever, ever check my rig. Some wierd shit can happen on the way from the check in counter to the luggage pickup at your destination. Make sure he has the aad xray card if you have an aad. I have a buddy that packed and checked his rig and it was opened and stuffed back into a suitcase by security with the leg strap hanging out which proceeded to get hung up in the conveyor and melted through half the leg strap and cover. itd be a shame something happen to a new rig... and if you think theyre going to cover the damages, think again... keep it in sight at all times.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

The point is that TSA in the US can open your checked bag and can and have opened packed parachutes. PIA worked with TSA to provide guidance on parachutes but TSA has their own non-public policy and procedures. Expect that any checked parachute and carry-on parachute may be opened, main and/or reserve, for inspection. If carry on be prepared to either reclose it or have a bag big enough to contain it. If checked, well all bets are off.

These inspections usually don't happen but may happen. Make sure nothing else suspicious is packed with it. Leave out any other instruments, hook knives, rigging tools etc. Even if allowed they may increase the likely hood of inspection. I don't fly much but my biggest argument over carry on was pre Sept 11 2001 and I think was caused by a packing pin hiding in the bottom of the carry-on bag with the rig. I didn't find it until I was home but airport security at that time argued with the airline about it being allowed.

IF your going to check it anyway, Pelican cases are a usual go to standard for rugged, gorilla proof luggage. FORGET any commercial, dept store suitcase. And over size is a good thing for everything mentioned above.

This is a good deal on a used $350 case.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-1630-Black-Watertight-Transport-Case-w-Foam-and-Wheels-/381885032412?hash=item58ea1f27dc:g:DKYAAOSw2xRYUZtY
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Agree completely with carrying your rig on. I type this as I sit in the airport with my rig about to board. If you must check, I also agree with the Pelican recommendation. I have a Mirage G4 M4 with a 176 Optimum and a 170 main. My rig fits perfectly without mashing it into a Pelican 1560.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E9JREC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1