Tigerfly

Buying used gear

I'm a student currently, but anticipate getting my license within a month. I hope to buy my own rig within a few months. Where do I start? Used would be great. However, if I buy online, such as on the classifieds on here, how do I know what condition the gear is really in? Do people usually pay the rig owner to bring it to a rigger, then I can call rigger to verify its good and jumpable? Also, I'm jumping a 200 now. I'm about 5'5", F, about 140 lbs. what size canopy should I look to purchase? Also, some of the ads mentioned height/weight of the owner. Do I want to make sure we are around the same size? Or can the harness be altered to fit better? As you can see, I'm kind of clueless with gear here...please help! :)

All good questions. Yes you can talk to a DZ/rigger to act as a go between and have the sale depend on rigger inspection. Have it shipped to the DZ. Harness size you can figure out by either the size of the seller if its posted or the main lift web dimensions will be listed. If you are looking at a Javelin it will have a letter and number which can be looked up at their web site to tell you the main lift web length and yoke size. Canopy size is always case by case. That is a question for your instructors. There are a couple of manufacturers that make canopies in the 180 sq ft range which is not a big jump from a 200. Altering a harness can be done but it is not always cost effective, as it takes a fair amount of work by the rigger.
Good luck

Now is the perfect time to start looking, even if you're not ready to buy. You've already come up with some questions from looking, and you'll come up with more. The more questions you know to ask the better, because it means you understand more.

If you can get to a DZ with a gear store, go looking at the used rigs, even if they're not what you're in the market for. Try them on, and get a feel for what "too big" and "too little" feel like. Or you can ask folks at the DZ to try on their rigs. Don't pay as much attention to canopy size for this exercise; it's to get a feel for harness size.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You've gotten a few good answers here. This is a fairly common question, so you might find more by searching around a bit.

To answer a couple of your questions (and a couple that you didn't ask):

The classifieds on here (or on FB or such) aren't a bad place to look, but your own DZ is often the best place. Put out the word that you are looking and see what may be available. The 'local rigger' is often a good place to start, as he/she may have a good handle on who is looking to sell.

The classifieds can be a good place, but beware of scammers. They are usually pretty easy to spot based on poor english, unfamiliarity with the terms, various other "red flags." Look through the "Scam" forum and the 'beware of scam' articles that are linked in the classifieds.
It's also a fairly small sport. You can usually make a few phone calls and verify that someone is for real. Most sellers understand this and are usually willing to provide contacts to allow this ("I jump at XXX DZ, you can call the DZO and he'll vouch for me, you can call the rigger and he'll tell you about the rig, he's the one who packed it last.)

As far as inspections go, it's a standard and well established process. You and seller agree on who does the inspection. Also on who pays for shipping to inspector, inspection, shipping from inspector (either to you or back to seller depending on outcome of inspection) and payment process. Seller ships to inspector; when rig gets ok, you send money to seller; when seller tells inspector that money has arrived, inspector sends rig to you.

The process is known as "Rigger as Escrow". Search this for more info.
The inspection will cost money, but the process doesn't always. Cutingstar offers the escrow service for free (or at least used to) although they charge standard fees for the inspections.

Size of canopy can be a bit...

Controversial.
I'd suggest reading and following Brian Germain's "sizing chart". It's linked as a sticky in the Canopy Forum. It has generally accepted experience/weight/canopy size guidelines. It also has a good article on skills you should have before downsizing. Billvon's "Downsizing Checklist" in the safety articles is a good read too.

Harness size is not that big of a deal. The fit doesn't need to be perfect to be acceptable. As is pointed out in the linked article by Annette O'Neil, you can get measured Instructions are on the H/C manufacture's site - don't try to measure yourself. It doesn't work. A rigger is suggested, but a tailor/seamstress is also a good choice. Actually, anyone who can read a tape measure and follow directions can do it.
Send those measurements and the serial number of the rig to the maker and they will let you know if it will fit as is, if a resize is warranted, practical and how much it will cost.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Along with everything thing said above. Start by knowing what size reserve is needed for you to land safely. Don't very from that size except to maybe go bigger. Then find a container that fits the reserve, your body size, and a reasonable sized main canopy. If you buy a new container to fit your body, and to fit the proper reserve, the canopies can be "used" and your container will always fit. My two cents. Reserve Size First.
Life is short ... jump often.