pushykat

shute gifted

I recently have been gifted with a shute (specs to follow) from a retired fellow skydiver. (Thank you!!!) A pro mate has said that it is ok for me. I love these guys but would like to trust myself with everything I fly with. As a novice, how do I check stuff? My AFF won't happen until mid 2017. But would like to start practising folding and packing. Also his altimeter.
Dad... so proud of you for having no hesitation and jumping with me. Proud daughter of a vietnam vet with ptsd!

Checking if a parachute of unknown history is airworthy is a rigger's job. The best you can do is go to the DZ where your AFF is scheduled and ask for their rigger to have a look at it. Prepare to tell him everything and anything you know about the parachute. Also, ask away at him. Many riggers are friendly people who will gladly answer questions, especially if you lubricate them with their favourite drink!

As for packing, look into packing courses given by your DZ. They will likely use DZ equipment, but that's no issue as the packing techniques are pretty much generally applicable. If your parachute requires special techniques, then it's unlikely to be a beginner-friendly parachute anyway.

Do your AFF with the student equipment the DZ will provide you with, and start learning about gear after that. Talk with your AFF instructors about the suitability of that parachute for you, there are too many variables for a bunch of folk on an internet forum to give you a solid and clear answer.

pushykat

I recently have been gifted with a shute (specs to follow) from a retired fellow skydiver.

'Canopy' or 'parachute', not "shute".
You're welcome. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Thanks for the replies guys! Umm... I am australian and everything here is abbreviated or slang, so "shute" here is ok with us, sorry if I offended anyone. Its actually his entire rig. Sabre 135, reserve Airforce 120, rig vector team rig ridgy didge. Belonged to Jethro Abraham.
Dad... so proud of you for having no hesitation and jumping with me. Proud daughter of a vietnam vet with ptsd!

Hi mate! Totally going to take it to a local rigger and make sure he looks at it....before I well lubricate him! Lmao! And certainly will jump with the student gear and learn. I'm also wanting to do my packing licence as I want to pack my own "canopy" everytime before I jump.

Depending on your exit weight the Sabre 135 could be quite a long way down your road. Get the rig checked and in order but don't expect to be able to jump it any tine soon (200-500 jumps?!)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

pushykat

Thanks for the replies guys! Umm... I am australian and everything here is abbreviated or slang, so "shute" here is ok with us, sorry if I offended anyone. Its actually his entire rig. Sabre 135, reserve Airforce 120, rig vector team rig ridgy didge. Belonged to Jethro Abraham.

Hi there. I know that rig. I was also a member of that Oz 8-way team (Rijidij). We got those team rigs in 1993 - so pretty ancient now. May not even be set for AAD installation unless it got a retrofit. The main canopy really will be too small for your use for quite a while.
Great to read you are booked on that AFF course - hope you have a ball! Contact me directly if you like, for a further chat. B|
Kim Hardwick
Technical Officer at the Australian Parachute Federation.
[email protected]