linestretch

reline a reserve?

I have an older PD reserve (1993) that I sent back to PD for recertification (placard was all full). It had a total of 5 rides (and likely a shit ton of pencil packs). I'm being told it's out of trim and needs a relign (3/8")! Then they'll recert it for another 35 repacks. Has anyone ever heard of this? Out of trim?....really? Yeah, I know it will be cheaper than buying another reserve but come on....really?

Unless I hear others saying it's the norm...I'm calling it a sham.
my pics & stuff!

I've sent back 8 or 10 canopies for inspection/recertification. Some come back with a new data panel good for 40 packs/25 jumps, some for fewer. One came back with a death certificate and is now used just for test packs.

Some are recertified with no work done, some get a line set (like the three canopies I have there right now). I'm never surprised about the ones needing a line set; there are lots of ways to damage PD's snag-prone lines. Your current Infinity has pretty good protection for free bag Velcro. What about previous rigs?

Mark

It's been locked up in my 2001 infinity the whole time and was planning on putting it back in it as a back-up rig. The only velcro snags are really the toggles and toggle covers. Prior to that it was in an eclipse that that sat on a shelf for several years....prior to that I don't know. I was sent pics of the 'fraying' that they said 'compromised' the integrity and honestly think it's very minor.
my pics & stuff!

I don't think Performance Designs is in the business of Shaming people. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money and it looks fine to you, but if you can't trust the Manufacturer who can you trust? If it were me, I'd be thankful they were willing to recertify a 23 year old reserve at any cost. They have every right not to.

rmarshall234

I don't think Performance Designs is in the business of Shaming people. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money and it looks fine to you, but if you can't trust the Manufacturer who can you trust? If it were me, I'd be thankful they were willing to recertify a 23 year old reserve at any cost. They have every right not to.

You're absolutely right. I guess what I was expecting was a return with a much shortened life. Now I'm faced with spending 350 for a reserve I already own. Yeah...I don't wanna pay it but probably will.
my pics & stuff!

ChrisHoward

***Now I'm faced with spending 350 for a reserve I already own.

If the placard is full then you no longer own a reserve, you own a worthless grounded canopy. So $350 for an airworthy reserve sounds pretty cheap :-)

PD is the only mfg that puts those blocks on the placard (which I do like...but of course not now since it's gonna cost me). So I wouldn't say it's worthless...it's just full of check boxes.
my pics & stuff!

Warning!!!! Grammar police!!!

Sorry, but I can't read another "relign" post without saying something. "Relign" is not a word.

I think you are looking for one of the following:

realign: to restore to a previous position, or
reline: to replace line.

Either will work in this case, but the latter is probably more appropriate. Sorry for the interruption. Carry on.

Crispy.

Warning!!!! Grammar police!!!

Sorry, but I can't read another "relign" post without saying something. "Relign" is not a word.

I think you are looking for one of the following:

realign: to restore to a previous position, or
reline: to replace line.

Either will work in this case, but the latter is probably more appropriate. Sorry for the interruption. Carry on.

shit...you're right. lets move the post to putting new 'shroud lines' on my very old reserve.
my pics & stuff!

JerryBaumchen

Hi JJ,

needs a relign ( or re-line, or . . . )

Did you ask them about you doing the reline? You might save a buck or two doing it yourself.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I've got a 42 stitch bartacker.

Jerry, I did consider it and while I have no problem with relining a main....a reserve is something I won't do. I've already just accepted the fact that my choices are to say fuck it and not have a reserve or pay for it....and I'm going to pay for it. I was really hoping I'd see a lot of replies saying 'no way...a reserve never gets relined' but that's not the case.
my pics & stuff!

I don't doubt PD's assessment of the reserve in question but it also brings up a couple of additional questions.

What type of lines are on this reserve ?

What is the history of the reserve ? (ie. deployments, date of manufacturer etc.)

Most reserves don't get deployed much and for the most part are simple inspected and repacked. So I'm just curious as to how a canopy can get seriously out of trim in such a short time or whether there has been some change in the line trim since it was manufactured.

Below is what I was told about the lines;

The reserve line set is being replaced more because of being out of trim which I know puzzles some people. With an untreated microline, the lines get out of trim merely by pulling and tugging through the repacking process and since it does have five jumps on it, even more so with this line set. The lines are off side to side by as much as 3/8” either longer or shorter throughout the line set. We are more concerned about that than the fraying at the lower steering lines and brake to toggle.
my pics & stuff!

So PD should do the Brian Germain thing* and tug some more on the appropriate lines? Measure immediately, record results, and ship out of the factory. Problem solved.

How well that works, I'm not getting into.

* Ref: thread named "Stretching lineset back to trim", # 4418737, 2012

So 5 jumps and 40 pack jobs and its that out of trim requiring a reline. You could have done 24 jumps on this thing and less than 40 repacks and continue packing it without having to send it back.

The fact the microline is used on mains, are we expecting that they are out of trim in such a short period of jumps.

I could potentially see this as a manufacturing or material defect but I would not expect for the lines seriously out of trim requiring a reline with such limited deployments and pack jobs. Or perhaps they should re-evaluate the 25 deployments/40 repacks, materials if it can get so out of trim so easily.

It's 3/8" "out" of trimm, 0,95cm. That's close to nothing on a main and perfectly normal for untreated lines that where used in terminal, fast reserve deployments. what's the fuzz about?!
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I have a 1993 reserve that was in the first rig I bought (at the time it had 1 ride). In 2006 I had a rigger mark all the boxes because he decided that it was times the canopy should have been (repacked). Long story short I sent that canopy back to PD and they insisted on a reline. I think that something changed in specs. I don't think your canopy or mine "went out of trim". I have 2 rides on that reserve now and pack it every 6 months. I don't care about the $200 or whatever it was to get PD to reline it 10 years ago. That reserve is old enough to drink and I would step out a of a plane with it tomorrow with zero qualms.
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."