RichyR

2-piece / detachable slider for general canopy

Does anyone know of a 2-piece / detachable slider suitable for general canopy use i.e. 150 Sabre 2?

I'm not looking for a RDS system, just something that's easier than stowing it behind my head, which I find a faff getting over the brakes/dive loops and it reduces my FOV to the sides once stowed.

If there's nothing off the shelf , can anyone see any potential hazards in getting a rigger to make one up? I was thinking something like a zip in the middle, potentially with velcro cover if the zip would cause wear/ or allow air through.

As far as getting it over the brakes and dive loops, the primo SS Sweedish grommets have a metric size. The ID is smaller than the 1 inch stock that the risers toggles etc. are made of. The original #8 grommets have slightly larger ID, making the slider go over them alot easier. It is now suspected that this situation may cause alot of the unreported toggle fires. (One brake release on opening). Which may end up as a cutaway. There are a few remedies for this possible situation. I got tired of having my grommets jammed up in the brakes! Usually on the left for some reason. Anyone else have this situation?

------------------
I've contacted PD and they don't do a split slider suitable for the Sabre 2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any old-school rigger can "split" a stock slider.

If your local rigger still has tools for setting #8 grommets, he/she could sew a new split slider for you, but they would still charge you $120. (same as PD).

If non stainless grommets are used, it would be wise to check them for wear more often. I believe the new style lines are harder on the non stainless grommets. Something also about creating more heat maybe, causing spectra to shrink. Anything to avoid a cutaway.

Split sliders typically have four (#0) grommets set just right of the Center-line and a long piece of thick suspension-line (e.g. Dacron). The long suspension line is only sewn to the leading edge and trailing edge and flops free in the middle.
The other (left) slider half has 4 "closing loops" sewn to its inboard edge.

Before packing, you slip the 4 small loops through the grommets and secure them with nights of the long loop of suspension line.
IOW the long loop "pins" the slider together along its Center-line.

To release, merely pull down on the long loop.

I think Para Gear still makes and sells split sliders. The last one I bought a couple of years ago was $105. At the time you had a choice of colors, any size you wanted, and either F111 or ZP, but I think they only used brass grommets. You might check with them and see what the current deal is.

Could be interesting. A Sabre 2 150 slider is 31x23 inches. The split slider I have is 24X17. You could be a test jumper! But I would not, because I would expect a snappy opening could be an early result of the test program. The slider you have is a pretty standard PD size. It goes on all Sabre 2s from 170 down. It's the same size that is used on many of their canopies.

Seriously, I advise you to abandon the whole idea and just learn to get along with the stock slider. Pulling a slider down always brings risks. Not only premature brake release, but issues with distraction from the task of flying safely as well. And visibility problems when you try to see behind you.

That said, I am one of those who nearly always pulls them down. You need to be careful and watch while you are doing it so you do not pop your brakes. Or catch your fingers in the loop of excess line. Or you could just collapse it and leave it up. Install the slider hats on your risers if you plan to do this.

At least you have learned about split sliders. They are usually a CRW, I mean CF tool. I'm attaching a couple pictures so you can see what it looks like. One from the top and one from the bottom. You just pull on the line running through the centre to split the slider apart. It takes a minute or so at packing time to reassemble it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Richy R
If you are going to get the old school slider (like the one pictures or one from Para Gear) it would be to your advantage not to have long risers. Lunging up to get the Dacron releaser line is distracting. All at a time when you may also be on the lookout for other jumpers. Shorter risers are a good thing for these sliders.

Apart from being a split slider testjumper, the packing hassle that comes with it and flapping of the two pieces once the release is pulled:

You will have to get used to pulling the slider over the risers if you want to get anywhere canopy skills wise. It should get easier once you've done it a few hundred times. You can also soften the risertips by repeatetly pulling the slider over them on the ground. Or ask PD for slightly larger grommets on your slider.
Field of vision obstruction once pulled down can be minimized by twisting the slider a bit before stowing it. Also loosen your chest strap as much as possible. The more you are flying leaning forward the less your slider will concern you.

Because I had the same issue with my FOV I got an RDS and never looked back.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

i tried ordering one from pd when i got my new canopy a few years ago. they said no. period. wouldn't sell me one. of course, they wouldn't put vectran lines on it either, but now i see they will, so maybe they've changed their stance on removable sliders as well.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Pobrause

As he apparently lives in the UK I'd suggest a Lookma-RDS in case he changes his mind about a removable slider.
Much easier system for reattachement, better ring design, very good quality and way cheaper than the US - systems.

http://www.lookma.de/

Good point about the OP's location and ordering the Lookma-RDS.

Although the Fluid Wings RDS attachment mechanism is a bit 'fiddly' (as aptly described by another poster here), it's still a good system. It just takes some practice. I removed / re-attached that thing 4-5 times at home before jumping it.