Cloggy

POD or bag for ParaCommander

Andrew, many thanks for the info, very helpful!
This will be a nice little winter project, I'll keep you guys posted how it goes.

Thanks to Peter for putting the Gary Lewis handbook on Parachutemanuals.
What I have must be a Competition PC, with the big hole at the back. Let's see what Gary Lewis wrote about that: "... tendency to land hard", "less stable than Mark I and harder to control", "negative malfunction reputation".
OK.... We'll see B|

A quick update: the D-bag is finished, thank you all for your help and info (I forgot to take a pic before packing...).
Now I'm waiting for the repack of my rig and jump the thing.
Obviously I'm really curious how the deployment will go.

On the original PC's we shortlined them 3ft. The comp PC was probably shortened at Pioneer. BTW is your RSL on the right side of your harness? Jump that on our DZ and you will be signing autographs like Terry.

Did I put the risers on the wrong side ? At least I'm sure I didn't switch back and front ;)
I didn't pay any attention to the RSL, don't have one on my rig. These are old risers from another rig.
If all goes well, I can send you an autographed picture B|

Reserve was repacked, so I finally had the chance to jump the PC a few times last weekend.
I really enjoyed jumping this old canopy :)Weather was perfect, hardly any wind and I made some nice accurate landings, on the T.

The bag worked great: I made a short slomo video of the opening https://youtu.be/_TCgh3Pl86U.

Thanks guys!

I think this is a MkI, not a competition as I first thought?

Yep, not a competition. It doesn't have the BIG hole in the center back like one of mine. Your inspiring me to get mine ready so some other sucker, er lucky jumper, can jump it. Right now I'm a little over the weight that would allow me to walk away from the landing.:S Even though I've got 300 or so jumps on my comp pc. I've got a purple RW pc that should go back in the air too.

I doubt there are many, if any, other videos like yours of a PC opening. It was interesting, but not unexpected when you think about it, to see the crown lines deploy before the bag lifted out of the container. Mine is in a sleeve so the PC lifts the sleeve. No force on the crown line stows until the suspension lines unstow and the sleeve opens.

If you've got a drawing of the bag you made would be willing to share that would be great. I have other options but may make a new one.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry, I chose this bag with crown lines on the outside as I thought this was the smallest packing solution, compared to short sleeves, pods etc. Also the easiest to make.
I was somewhat worried the d-bag might dump the canopy in a ball, because it is more wide than deep: the S-folds are about 30cm. It seems to work OK. So far :P
I don't have a drawing anymore, but I'll measure it next packjob.

Accumack, thanks for the tip. I thought I might get away with leaving the guide rings on the back risers and avoid the work. But it's better to change it, I'll probably do more jumps than I initially thought.

DougH

Was the UT-15 what I hear sometimes referred to as a Jumbo PC?

Jumbo PC = Pioneer manufactured 28ft PC
Packs humongous

UT 15 is a 24ftish Russian manufactured very steerable Lemoigne canopy that Pioneer tried to reproduce on 27ft and 23ft "Russian PC" versions.

gb1

I bet Councilman (Terry) has a full selection of bags, pod's, or sleeves. Probably still in use. ha ha

I have by original rig, Crossbow H/C with a Crossbow 26' lopo round reserve and my comp PC in a sleeve still packed up. I used to make wanna be riggers before I was a dpre pack the Crossbow back to get ready to go to a course.:):)

I have a pod of some sort on the RW pc that was giving to me but haven't quite figured out one part of it. Hmm, Bill or Winsor or some sent me another sleeve too. And I have a PC bag with stows for the crown lines somewhere. Used it for my Strato Cloud. Probably some more stuff I don't remember.:S
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Jerry:

The Jumbo PC & the RW PC ( made out of lightweight ripstop fabric )

Only the RW PC was made out of lightweight ripstop. The Jumbo was good old taffeta like the other PCs.

Mine is in a sleeve and it packs pretty big. I would say comparable in size to a T-10. It is only a PC in shape. It is a real slug in the sky.

Beatnik

Hi Jerry:

The Jumbo PC & the RW PC ( made out of lightweight ripstop fabric )

Only the RW PC was made out of lightweight ripstop. The Jumbo was good old taffeta like the other PCs.

Mine is in a sleeve and it packs pretty big. I would say comparable in size to a T-10. It is only a PC in shape. It is a real slug in the sky.

Now see, if I had a jumbo I might be willing to jump to. And I'd load enough to get it to turn.😉
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Now see, if I had a jumbo I might be willing to jump to. And I'd load enough to get it to turn.😉

Maybe I will bring it out to your neck of the woods sometime. I have a pretty good loading, about 265 lbs exit weight, on it and it didn't turn like any of my other PCs turn. I haven't jumped it that much because of its performance. It is a shame because it has very little jumps.