Cloggy

POD or bag for ParaCommander

Question for you oldtimers ;)
I just got an old Paracommander with NAA Mini System and Kohnke chest reserve. The rig and reserve are far too old to jump (and I'm too chicken to try B|), but I'd like to put the Paracommander in my Centaur rig to make the occasional old school jump.
Currently the PC has a long sleeve, unfortunately this makes it too bulky to fit in that rig. Would anybody know where I can find a suitable bag or POD or would anybody have construction drawings with dimensions so I can sew up my own?
I'm also wondering what type of PC this could be. The stamp just says Paracommander (not Mark I or II), the year of manufacturing is 1974.

Thanks, Bart

I made a jump with a PC in the last summer. First we tried to pack it in a student Vector using an old sleeve for that. But there was no chance to close the container. The only thing that worked was a tandem gear. Also using the old sleeve....

Great experience to jump such an old high performance round.

Congrats on your find.
The only significant difference between deployment bags and Parachute Opening Devices is the #8 grommet on the top and extra line stows (for crown lines) on the top.
As for POD size ...... the first step is determining if your container can contain the huge bulk of a Para-Commander.

Which version of Centaur container are you referring to? ..... the modern piggyback container currently sewn in Eastern Europe?

A tandem rig would work, but I don't want to add yet another rig to the collection...

I quoted the wrong name for the rig, it's a NAA Centaurus. At least 25 years old; I use it to jump a 282 Parafoil.

A while ago I made a few jumps with a PC Mark I and a POD-like bag with this rig, it more or less fitted with the closing loop at max. It looked a bit messy with the stows sticking out, but it worked ;)

At the time I didn't take a close look at the bag and I can't get hold of the guy I borrowed that PC from, hence my question here. But a bag with extra line stows on top makes sense, I can see that work.

This question has come up a few times before on DZ.

A Paracommander works fine with a bag. Old timer purists might say a sleeve is better, less dumping-it-out-all-at-once, and they could be right. But later on in the era of PC's bags were used.

On one PC of mine, I stowed the crown lines in elastics I installed on the inside top of the bag (although it was a bag with a velcro split, making it easier to access the inside top of the bag). Or as Riggerrob says, they can come through a big #8 grommet and be stored ontop of the bag.

Looks like you already discovered that the Paracommander is bigger than a Parafoil 282. There's a photo I uploaded on dz.com somewhere, where I compare one of each, packed side by side, with a ruler to give some idea of scale.

gb1

I bet Councilman (Terry) has a full selection of bags, pod's, or sleeves. Probably still in use. ha ha

Well, my comp pc that I have about 300 jumps on is packed up in the Crossbow rig in a sleeve. The 24' flat unmodified reserve is a little out of date.

The RW PC still needs a little repair work but has a weird ass pod.

The UT-15 I'm still learning about in its sleeve. And somewhere is a red dbag for a PC with a number 8 gromment and tapes for rubber bands for the crown lines on the outside.

BTW I do expect all of them to be jumped if I can find a sucker or loose even more weight.

BTW have a number 8 grommet set if someone needs o e intalled.😉

To OP, use the minisystem with a modern chest reserve unless it moldy.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

BTW have a number 8 grommet set if someone needs o e intalled.

I have one of those too. It popped up on ebay a couple years ago for $20. Came with a dozen sets as well!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

councilman24

To OP, use the minisystem with a modern chest reserve unless it moldy.

I thought about that, but I don't have a suitable reserve, only MIRPS that doesn't fit. Besides that, I can't think of any rigger here that would recertify the Mini System.

No, we want it to jump ! Why doesn't the MIRPS fit? Find a pop top, put a 26' lopo in it, have a rigger pack it. Then put on the mini system and go jump.the damn thing.

Assuming it isn't falling apart. If it has shot and a half capewells see if you can find some R-3s for it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Lol. No, the Mini System isn't falling apart and it looks jumpable to me. But for me it's just easier to put the PC in a rig I already have.

With the MIRPS, I guess I'll end up with at least a broken nose should I deploy the reserve :S. The V-rings on the mini system are much higher on the MLW when compared to the D-rings on a military rig, and it has no belly strap.
The MIRPS would be covering the Capewells and sit right under my chin.

The Kohnke reserve container is attached at the 4 corners: two B-12 snaps on top to the V-rings and two straps on the bottom that clip to the bottom corners of the Mini System to keep it down.

councilman24

Come to MI and I'll loan you a chest reserve built 4 years ago.;)

Only if it has a Cypres pocket (you said modern chest reserve :P)

With tie downs. Whate we call the bottom comnections. BTW I've seen those rigged up for one jump with 550 cord.

I learn new (or old) tricks every day. Not going to try that one though...

Cloggy

***Come to MI and I'll loan you a chest reserve built 4 years ago.;)

Only if it has a Cypres pocket (you said modern chest reserve :P)

With tie downs. Whate we call the bottom comnections. BTW I've seen those rigged up for one jump with 550 cord.

I learn new (or old) tricks every day. Not going to try that one though...

Tie down is fine. Just keeps comtain fom flopping. There may be a place for low mount d rings on harness.

If you've made 1600 jumps without a Cypres have one for an occasional conventional grear jump isn't important. But no reason this chest couldn't have a cypres. I'll ask the manufacturer.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

No, we want it to jump !

Yeah no shit we want to not only jump it, we want to save it from the junk pile... if it's in good condition and airworthy why let it go to waste. And all that other shit the honorable councilman24 said, I'll just add a yup, what he said! ;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

See
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageparachutegear/albums/72157628083833002 for examples
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageparachutegear/6326471894/in/album-72157628083833002/
for specific measurements for a Strong Starlite Canopy short sleeve/bag/slag

I squeeze a Mk1 PC into such a bag though if making one new for a PC, I'd make it about an inch bigger all round for an easier fit. This then fits into a 280-300 sq foot main container (such as used for students), with a long loop.

Hope that helps.