FlySteep

Measuring line under tension

A question for the riggers out there please.

My understanding is that when measuring a new length of line, it must be done under tension, and some manufacturers have their reels setup in such a way that it's drawn off at that tension anyway. (20lb?)

My question is how do you achieve this in your loft/setup? Or even in the field?

Thanks, Jordan.

This is not the most high tech way to do this but It's how I build line sets. Keep in mind that I'm not really set up properly any more I'm just improvising on the floor of the rocket hanger.

I set up two cam pull cargo straps across the floor using some old line to reach the wall and a heavy bench. I tie the line to one hook. Mark the points on one end for the insert. Clamp the long tape to it with hemostats. Pull the line around the other hook with a little extra length. And I just loop it back and forth laying out that set of lines, A's, B's, C's... G's what ever. Tie it back off to the first hook. I have a set of matching Bungees, fairly stiff. I take the loops of line off the hook and holding them tightly pull one bungee at a time and hook a loop. So now they are all under tension. Go and mark all of the lines at the first end. By then the lines are fairly set. Go and mark the second end based on the tape clipped to the lines. Unhook the bungees and cut. Chain link and label. I can hammer out a set for one of our big canopies including finger trapping in under a day and that's 1,300 yards of line to cut.

This shit isn't magical. With just a little care you can do it your self.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

A fellow rigger used a saw and long 40 foot (13 metre) packing table.

He started by finger-trapping one end of the line, the anchored it to the hook at one end of the table.
He tied his power-saw to the other end of the line and hung it off the end of the table. Any 20-ish pound (10 kg) weight will do.
Then he marked the line and cut it.

Gluing a tape measure to the table helps.

riggerrob

A fellow rigger used a saw and long 40 foot (13 metre) packing table.

He started by finger-trapping one end of the line, the anchored it to the hook at one end of the table.
He tied his power-saw to the other end of the line and hung it off the end of the table. Any 20-ish pound (10 kg) weight will do.
Then he marked the line and cut it.

Gluing a tape measure to the table helps.

Who would do a nutty thing like that?......hmmmmm