jws3

Rubber Bands on Nylon Webbing

Does anyone know why there would be a problem with using rubber bands to stow excess chest or leg strap webbing? I heard someone at the dropzone the other day say that it degrades the nylon, but I can't find anything online about why rubber would degrade nylon any more than any other material.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense would be that as you pull the stowed webbing out repeatedly over time, the higher friction could cause wear because the rubber band holds it tighter than standard stows (the reason for using it in the first place). Apart from that, it seems like it could easily be one of those things that someone just made up and started passing around.

It will eventually cause the webbing to fuzz up much quicker and ultimately it will cause damage. This is the reason why the manufacturers send out new rigs with proper elastic keeps that will do the job and do not cause this fuzzing (or at least it takes much longer).

Will an elastic band do the job - sure. I could show you numerous examples of various stages of wear but you can get new elastic retainers from local rigger for a couple of bucks.