GaryP

New containers with pullout option

JerryBaumchen

Hi Peter,

built a super-light weight rig in the '80s with a throw out PC at the top of the left shoulder

Back in the 80's, a local dz bum built himself the same type of rig. He did make a few test jumps on it to make sure it worked.

***Perhaps a throwout reserve PC is better than a pull-out reserve PC

I have yet to see how an RSL/MARD will work with either one.

Jerry Baumchen

80lb break cord or other suitable breakinking strebgth, weak link similar to stativ line pc assist? Problem is varying pull angles.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

chuckakers

******Apart from Racer, can anyone please advise what other H/C manufacturers are offering a true pullout as an option? It's not all that apparent from the order forms and websites.

I can see a nice setup on the Mirage. Wondering who else...

Many thanks !

Gary

My question is why you are interested in this option? I think it is fair to say that the pull out has been shown to be not the best system available.

Why do you say that?

Because of the countless reserve rides due to a floating / drpped pull out. Saw a cypres save because of that and the guy had been jumping pull outs for 20 plus years. He immediately had his gear converted to a BOC.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Rover

Because of the countless reserve rides due to a floating / dropped pull out. Saw a cypres save because of that and the guy had been jumping pull outs for 20 plus years. He immediately had his gear converted to a BOC.

That's it?

Mark

It's been years since I checked the statistics, because I thought this was settled long ago, but if I remember correctly: In actual use, pull outs have a 5 times higher total malfunction rate than throw outs. Plus, almost no one advocated pull outs for students. The mean a transition to pull out must occur sometime after student status...and we all know transitions form anything to anything can cause problems. These are the main two reasons most people jump throw outs.

gowlerk

******Do you really want to jump without an AAD?

. Well actually yes. But I don't recommend it to others.

Me too, except not tandem. like I said I don't recommend it to others. But once you have had one fire your reserve pilot chute over the tail. And your left hanging on to your bridle watching it bounce off the rudder. The pilot said he felt that in the controls very clearly BTW . and had to drag your shit back in to keep from getting pulled thru the side of the airplane and killed it's sort of sours you on them. ;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Bill,
the worst malfunction you can get on pull out is a total. The worst mal on throw away is PC in tow. Which one would you rather have?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

As there are very easy steps to avoid a PCIT during packing I'd always choose the one that is less likely to cause problems.

That being said I'd love the feeling of positively opening my container with a straight pin like on my reserve.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

With the right inventive mind or minds, I would think that in a weekend a system could be formed and in another weekend a prototype could be built. It is all about coming up with new ideas from yourself or with the input of those around you. Otherwise, we would still be jumping rags. That is how you became such a well known inventor.

JerryBaumchen

Perhaps a throwout reserve PC is better than a pull-out reserve PC

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry, Mark Hewitt's Sorcerer BASE rig used a pull out on the reserve, and was the first (that I'm aware of) rig to be marketed with a MARD. Basically, the RSL lanyards were attached to the reserve handle, so a cutaway would pull and hold onto the reserve PC handle and static line the reserve off the main. In the event of a total, the jumper would pull the reserve handle, which would disconnect (and split) the RSL lanyards, allowing the reserve PC to deploy the reserve.

I did my first Sorcerer cutaway at Bridge Day '92:)

Hi Kelly,

Mark Hewitt's Sorcerer BASE rig used a pull out on the reserve, and was the first (that I'm aware of) rig to be marketed with a MARD

I have received a PM describing what you describe.

I never said it could not be done. I've designed too much stuff to ever say that.*

Jerry Baumchen

* Some worked, most didn't; the trials & tribulations of design work.

***Bill,
the worst malfunction you can get on pull out is a total.

Not quite true, the worst malfunction I ever had on a pull out, was an open main container and horse shoe of said pull out. Think 6' of bridle looped back on itself with a jammed main pilot chute. Wasn't fun. How it was resolved is a tale for another day.

M.