rrobinn

Upsizing

Whats good fellow skydivers!? B|

I have a question about the size of my first own canopy. I have now been on the ground for about 5 months because of lack of money and bad weather (such as winter time in Sweden) [:/] I'm gonna buy my first gear during the winter and I'm not sure what to get.

My last 50 jumps was on a 168 pilot, i know that when i get back into the sky i will not jump a 168 pilot because of "uncurrancy" and i dont want to break anything...

BUT i know that if i get maybe 20 jumps on a 190 i would like to go down again.

Is it worth buying a 190 instead of 168 and then buy a 168, or just buy a 168 and rent a 190 for the jumps i need? :)
Thanks!

rrobinn

Whats good fellow skydivers!? B|

I have a question about the size of my first own canopy. I have now been on the ground for about 5 months because of lack of money and bad weather (such as winter time in Sweden) [:/] I'm gonna buy my first gear during the winter and I'm not sure what to get.

My last 50 jumps was on a 168 pilot, i know that when i get back into the sky i will not jump a 168 pilot because of "uncurrancy" and i dont want to break anything...

BUT i know that if i get maybe 20 jumps on a 190 i would like to go down again.

Is it worth buying a 190 instead of 168 and then buy a 168, or just buy a 168 and rent a 190 for the jumps i need? :)
Thanks!

I would say, come up with a plan that you think is safe and then do the math and see which options makes sense from an economics perspective. As opposed to first finding a cheap option and then convincing yourself that it's safe.

Jeez, it doesn't seem all that complicated. It's not like you are looking at jumping something with a massively increased performance.

You have plenty of jumps on the 168, and are taking a long winter off, that's all. So you do a few jumps on the 190 and go back to the 168. If you're not comfortable after a few jumps on the 190, do a few more, and make sure that includes low wind conditions too.

While rental fees can add up, it's still probably easier than buying a whole new canopy just for that. Unless you really want to put the time into searching and negotiating, or you just happen to see a really great deal come up. There here can be a lot of time spent getting a canopy and getting it into service. On the other hand, if you find a decent deal it is possible you might sell the 190 for the same price you got it, after putting only a few jumps on it.