64rky

Pelican Cases - Travelling with your rig

Hi there

Now I know there are a few threads on this, but I didn't get an actual answer from them, so going to try ask this here and hopefully this can help.

Which pelican case would you recommend to travel with? I have heard of the 1650, and 1510?

Advice?

But a Pelican case that classifies as carry-on luggage: 21" X 14" X 9".

Pelican 1510 measures 22" X 14" X 9" so you MIGHT be able toe ram it on as carry-on baggage, but I would buy the next smaller model to carry a solo rig, plus jumpsuits, helmet, etc. You might have to carry the helmet in a second bag. Airlines usually allow you to carry a carry-on plus a briefcase.

No case for me. My carry on is my rig. My "personal item" is a shoulder bag with helmet, altimeter and personal stuff (gloves etc), the jumpsuit I consider essential for the trip, and my travel stuff (money, book, phone, etc). I'm more comfortable with my rig in my hands the whole time. If my luggage gets lost I will need some new clothes but I can still jump :)

I'm more comfortable with my rig in my hands the whole time.

Of course that makes you more comfortable.

Sometime you may encounter a security agent that wants you to open both the main and reserve. It may not matter what "letter" you show them that says they shouldn't require it, they can demand it, or they can decide that it simply isn't allowed for carry on because they have the power to do so. Anyone traveling with a rig should be prepared to have it go as checked luggage.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have a storm 2620, which fits a rig and two jumpsuits easily, plus other small stuff. I also have a 2750 which can easily fit a rig, my helmet bag, two jumpsuits, and some other junk. You can also get two rigs (snugly) into ththe 2750. I got the "storm" versions instead of the "pelican" versions because they are a couple of lbs lighter, and with my gear I'm always bumping right up against the 50lb checked bag limits when I fly. Mine have at least half a million miles of commercial flights on them and they're pretty much indestructible...
  • Like 1