Baksteen

Pros and cons of different types of reserve ripcords

I disagree completely with you about Spectra ripcord specifications.

They are :
1) stronger (1000 lbs versus 920 lbs for steel cable)
2) have a bungee inside therefore there will be no floatting rip cord
3) easy to inspect, just check the bar tack at both ends, you cannot do such an inspection with pin and ball cable ripcord.
4) they are not subject to fray. I tried to get one fray by pulling back and fore through the cable housing for 3 minutes while applying a good tension. Using a magnifier the result was no significative fraying.
5) the larkhead knot at the ripcord is simple and sure. And there is no hole in the ripcord to weaken it
Just advantages as you can see.

Note: I understand that after so many years of getting use to rely on steel, some people are still reluctant to use Spectra ripcord. But new materials are now used on airplane tail and wing like carbon fiber which is lighter and stronger than aluminum.
I have had 3 total mal and I had to pull my Spectra ripcord. There was absolutely no problem.

Well, you have to trust better the new technology when it's well tested.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

2) have a bungee inside therefore there will be no floatting rip cord
[....]
4) they are not subject to fray.

While you've made some reasonable points I'll also note that Dokeman (early in the thread) reported bungees wearing out and fraying Spectra ripcords. I'm not sure where he saw it, but I have seen it start where the pin cover flap pushes down on the ripcord's loop.

I'm not sure where I heard the UPT pin referred to by that name. But if you Google the term you will find images of pins that look just like it.

Edit, I now see that it is the marine eye that the pin goes through. So not really a marine eye pin, but a marine eye and a pin.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.