flyingwallop

Pilot 188 ZPX vs Vector 348

Is anyone packing a Pilot 188 ZPX in a Vector 348 ???

There is plenty of information leading me to think this is in fact realistic and possible.

But UPT have suddenly come back saying it is not and that a Pilot 188 ZPX packs the same size as a Sabre 2 190.

I know the container manufacturer is probably right but they haven't provided an explanation and all other sources seem to indicate a mistake has been made.

Very annoying. [:/]

flyingwallop

and all other sources seem to indicate a mistake has been made.

What other "sources" do you need other than 1) the manufacturer's own words and 2) their long-standing published sizing chart?

Low-bulk fabric isn't some sort of miracle-worker...especially when you're 20+sq over what the manufacturer considers a "tight fit."

Buy a properly sized container FFS.

The answer you want to hear is that UPT made a mistake and that they do not understand Aerodyne ZPX sizing. And maybe they did, or maybe not. But since I'm a nice guy I will say it.

UPT is wrong, the canopy will fit in the container no problem at all.

There you have it, the answer you need. Go ahead and buy it, the internet has now told you it will work. Seriously.

Really, I do think it will work. But that is only my guess and means nothing more than that.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

That is the answer I want only if you actually have a 348 and Pilot 188 ZPX that you have packed safely in the container.
Video proof in HD might also be required.

I know for sure that a Pilot 210 ZPX packs one size smaller and was assuming the same for the 188.

Many on here actually testify that Pilot ZPX's pack closer to 2 sizes smaller.
  • Like 1

I do not have that container or that size ZPX.

However, my Son owns the Pilot 168ZPX and it packs snugly into a rig sized for a 150 main (Icon I4)...

You may be able to interpret that as a Pilot 188ZPX will pack as small as a 170. Depending on canopy make, cells, etc.

Also, his experience was that "new" ZPX felt Super Slippery and then packing got much easier after 50 jumps or so.. Just FYI.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

It will pack fine but like with most canopies best not try with a brand new slippery one. ZPX is tough to pack new just like regular ZP but after 100 or so jumps it packs tiny. My brother has a 168zpx in a vector3 v310 built for a sabre2 150. Fits fine and not that hard to pack for an experienced packer with an older canopy.

Heed the wise people's words. I bought a brand new 168ZPX to put in my brand new 150 container, and ended up simply not being able to bag it. After about 40 jumps with 38 or so paid packjobs, I gave up and went back to my Sabre2 170, which was still easier to stuff in the d-bag than the Pilot. Brand new ZPX is insanely slippery, probably more so than the ZP material PD uses.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mjosparky

I often wonder why people get an answer from the manufacture and come on line and shop for an answer that fits what they want to do.

I generally agree that following the manufacturers recommendation is the way to go. But you have to consider that they can't possibly test all container and canopy sizes together, and that lot of things come into play (humidity, logo or not, type of lines and dbag, etc). I don't think that asking people that tried a particular combination is out of line.

Besides that, there are degrees to everything. "Will work, but you have to be a good packer and therefore it is not recommended (because we don't know how good packer you are)" is not the same as "will distort the container so badly and be so damn tight that will be uncomfortable and unsafe".

Just my 2 cents.

I own a Vector 348 and am renting a Pilot 188 ZPX, have a PD 160 reserve. I am renting the canopy from a Master rigger who is highly regarded- he verified it was going to fit and would be safe to jump in that size container. It is a brand new canopy, I have been learning to pack with it, jumping it both with other packers packing it for me and also packing and jumping it myself a few times. There have been no problems with the bag extracting or the canopy coming out of the bag so far. Am using the original D bag that came with the V348
It was fitted with a near new Sabre2 170 that I packed for practiced a few times before getting the Pilot 188 ZPX. Feels very similar to pack into the container as that did- both are a full fit. I had to work about the same to close the container for each canopy type. Neither are fun to pack yet.
The Pilot ZPX that is brand spanking new is extremely slippery, not even close to fun to pack or bag. It is not easy for me to pack, I am slow and I take my time. And sometimes swear when packing ;) But openings have been sweet.
Bear in mind this is just my opinion based on what I have felt and seen packing it as a less experienced skydiver, and that I took advice from a rigger that knows his stuff. UPT do say the V348 is a full fit with a LPV Pulse 190 which is also equivalent or so pack volume to a Sabre2 170.
Talk to a rigger you trust about it.
Hope this is helpful. :)

• Like 2

>I often wonder why people get an answer from the manufacture and come on line and shop for an answer that >fits what they want to do.

I'll answer your rhetorical question: $Money$

So then, the question becomes: Why do people make safety decisions based on money when we all know (or should know) that the decisions we make on the ground determine our safety in the sky.

rmarshall234

>I often wonder why people get an answer from the manufacture and come on line and shop for an answer that >fits what they want to do.

I'll answer your rhetorical question: $Money$

So then, the question becomes: Why do people make safety decisions based on money when we all know (or should know) that the decisions we make on the ground determine our safety in the sky.

For sure the money is part of the equation. Certainly not the priority in this particular case. Although parting with money is bound to induce some kind of resistance. Through some healthy research said resistance should certainly be extinguished if there is a safety concern.