Acoisa

Best place to do AFF...

Hello,

I'm hooked after my 2nd Tandem and want to do my AFF!

I can pretty much go anywhere I want for about 2 and a half weeks to do my training...

I really want my training to be good and I want to have a really solid foundation after my training..

Are all Dz's the same regarding the training or have you seen students that trained at specific places that were just better than others...

Mike

If you have that kind of time and the resources to do it, I would suggest going somewhere that will incorporate some tunnel-time into your training.

Edit: I'm having one of those mornings where I'm one key off on the keyboard.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I think the best place for you to do AFF is the drop zone you plan on jumping at regularly for the next year or so, even if that means you are going to have to wait for the season to start.

You are going to build your first relationships in the sport there, especially with the instructors and very experinced jumpers that you are going to rely on for advice and mentoring. I think there is more to the student progression than simply getting signed off.

Otherwise, proximity to a tunnel would be very helpful.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If you can't jump at your local DZ right now, what are you going to do once you complete AFF and have to head back home?

Seems like a waste to spend all that money to do AFF now, and then be unable to jump for several months until your season starts back up.
=P

It matters less where you go than it does how you approach it. Go in with an open mind and be eager to absorb what the instructors are teaching and practice everything until you could do it in your sleep. Then when it is time to jump you are free to relax and not fight the air because you aren't struggling to remember what you are supposed to be doing.

That being said, a large busy drop zone can often get you through AFF in 4 days or less but you will only get out what you put in. It is also hard to describe how helpful tunnel time is with solid coaching.

Enjoy.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Seems like a waste to spend all that money to do AFF now, and then be unable to jump for several months until your season starts back up.

This brings up a good point to consider. Just because you can't jump for a while doesn't mean you can just forget about skydiving.

Visualizing your skydiving procedures and keeping emergency procedures fresh in your mind will minimize the impact of a long break in jumping. If you don't forget something you don't really have to relearn it. I hope all you snow bunnies will be thinking of the skies and pulling imaginary handles this winter. You will be much safer in the spring.

This brings up a good point to consider. Just because you can't jump for a while doesn't mean you can just forget about skydiving.

...You will be much safer in the spring.

I was thinking more about the learning curve, then I was saftey.

Granted you fly with more students than I do since your an instructor, but as a jumper who was just recently a student, I think it is important to keep those first 25 or 50 jumps happening regularly.

There is a big difference with some one who has 1000 jumps taking a three month break, compared to some one with 8 or 9.
=P

I think it is important to keep those first 25 or 50 jumps happening regularly.

There is a big difference with some one who has 1000 jumps taking a three month break, compared to some one with 8 or 9.

That's true, but with 2 and a half weeks if he's focused, has the cash, and gets somewhere with decent weather that operates daily he could easily get 25 jumps (or more) and an A in that time. This may be a better option than if waits for his local DZ to reopen, if that means he can only do AFF on weekends?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking.

It is also not really possible to seperate safety and the learning curve in skydiving. Skdyiving is such a high speed sport that safety needs to be an integral part and not a add on. I understand what you meant but doing a couple of jumps every 7 days doesn't really keep the curve so steep either.

Thanks for your tips everyone and merrx Xmas!

I was actually thinking of going to Eloy or Perris, also because the dollar will make it a bit cheaper for me. I will also be visiting a friend in Sebastian, FL in February and will probably only be there for about 10 days. I have the 2 1/2 weeks in April and May but it is such a long wait!

It would probably be cooler to do it in April because I'd have more time to complete everything and wouldn't have be stressing myself (jet lag and all)..