waltappel

Re: [PhreeZone] PD in the news

Makes me wonder about the hiring practices of PD and the citizenship of the PD employees.

Walt

Why should it? Plenty of legal immigrants can't speak English well. Things like this are how they learn.

I agree, but is it not an INDIVIDUAL responsibility?

Walt

All this because a guy can't read. Amazing. You know a lot of native-born Americans can't read too, right?

I'm lucky I blend in better than many native-born Americans do. Nobody ever questions my legality.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

All this because a guy can't read. Amazing. You know a lot of native-born Americans can't read too, right?

I'm lucky I blend in better than many native-born Americans do. Nobody ever questions my legality.

_Am

You're losing me here. Can you please clarify?

Walt

>I am an American and I think it is a real embarrassment when an
>American goes to another country and shows that type of arrogance.

I think it's a real embarrassement when an american goes to another country, doesn't know the language _and_ expects to be understood when he speaks english. I spent a month in Africa, and outside the big cities where French was spoken I couldn't speak a word of the language (Zarma.) Since there was almost no chance I would ever use it again I didn't spend much effort learning it. Usually wasn't a problem. But then, I didn't try to just speak english loudly enough to be understood.

My Spanish instructor told us that if, we weren't speaking the language properly... yelling does'nt make it understood any better.:D

Chuck

Your Spanish instructor was, of course, quite correct, but it has mystified me for a very long time why Americans seem to think that speaking English LOUDLY when they are in a foreign country will help people understand them.

Walt

I've noticed that, myself! :S

cHUCK

I think it's a real embarrassement when an american goes to another country, doesn't know the language _and_ expects to be understood when he speaks english. I spent a month in Africa, and outside the big cities where French was spoken I couldn't speak a word of the language (Zarma.) Since there was almost no chance I would ever use it again I didn't spend much effort learning it. Usually wasn't a problem. But then, I didn't try to just speak english loudly enough to be understood.

But, but, but you're Billvon!!! You know everything!!!

I know the above may seem like a dig at you, but please take it as a compliment. If I had not read your postings on rec.skydiving and dz.com for years, and actually had the pleasure of hanging out with you on a catwalk under a bridge in WV, I'd *swear* that the "Billvon" login is a personna that is used by a large group of supergeniuses that possess the entirety of knowledge in the universe!

I continue to marvel at the depth of your knowledge and you're ability to respond with thoughtful comments that actually make people THINK.

Ok, back to regular programming.

Walt

Did you try speaking loud and slowly?

Did you try speaking loud and slowly?

Ok, THAT is what I should have said! Americans speaking English LOUDLY and SLOWLY and expected non-English speakers to understand them is, to me, one of those cultural references that ranks right up there with making the comment that [some exotic food] tastes "like chicken".

A truly indelible piece of Americana.

Walt

>. . . one of those cultural references that ranks right up there with
>making the comment that [some exotic food] tastes "like chicken".

It was in Africa that I first discovered that sometimes chicken doesn't taste like chicken.

It was in Africa that I first discovered that sometimes chicken doesn't taste like chicken.

It's not nice to post a tease like that and not give details. Let's hear 'em!:D:D:D

Walt

And I can confirm that both Crocodile and Snake tastes a little like chicken...B| and I am not an American.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.