ajay

RSL on outside of riser

Hey guys, quick question, is there anything inherently wrong with having the RSL on the outside of the riser? Apart from adjusting EP drills and ensuring the routing is correct, is it ok? I did a quick search but couldn't really find much info...
Cheers B|
blank

It should be done as the manufacturer has it configured. Thats how it was tested.

I think the vast majority have the RSL on the inside of the riser so that the RSL does not need to go over or under the reserve risers.

I can only think of one manufacturer that has the RSL ring on the outside of the main riser.

skytribe

I think the vast majority have the RSL on the inside of the riser so that the RSL does not need to go over or under the reserve risers.

An RSL should never pass under the reserve risers. At best it will prevent it from functioning correctly, the scenarios get worse from there.

I see the 'outside RSL ring' issue from time to time. I don't recall any rigger or anyone objecting and forcing the jumper to buy new risers. But it is a visual distraction ('Is that right? Is that routed right?') and the jumper has to be very careful about the routing of the RSL webbing.

I'd have an rsl on my rig of the manufacturers would just add a small loop for connecting it when you don't want to use it. If I'm doing CReW I don't want it connected, but I don't want it flapping around either. There should be someplace to attach it when not connected.

Iwan

Are you sure that risers are original? Some manufacturers have RSL on left, some on right side. If you have different risers and you are using left, for the right side then the ring for connector could be outside

Yeah that's basically what's going on. Pretty sure they're vector risers but on a G4, puts the ring on the outside left as opposed to the inside right. It's not being jumped yet and I have mirage risers organised.
Obviously factory spec, as tested is a more fail safe route, but I was just more interested in the RSL being outside causing problems you otherwise wouldn't face if it were on the inside.
blank

Racer risers have RSL rings on both sides.

When I worked at Square One we had dozens of rental rigs and canopies. To eliminate compatibility hassles, we installed Racer risers with mini rings on rental harnesses with large rings (RW-1).

Outboard RSL rings slightly increase the risk of accidental snagging and pulling the reserve ripcord prematurely ..... slightly.

You would probably do well to have a rigger take a look for you and make sure all the routings are such that it will function correctly. Better yet, a skilled master rigger can install a ring on the other riser (so it'll be inboard on the correct side - then you can use those risers with any make of rig). It would be worth the $$ and downtime to do so if the risers are in otherwise good shape.

You can also add a ring that requires no sewing on the riser. Ring on a loop of small webbing larks headed onto bottom of riser where riser large ring goes through. This is Ray Farrell's field approval for a RSL on anything. Value of this? Back when we had risers break no matter where they broke this ring would be left behind and not fire RSL. Not an issue lately.

http://www.actionair.com/Rigging.html
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE