RichyR

Flysight tracking setup - Breakoff vs Max distance

I've just bought a Flysight to help improve my tracking skills.

I want to improve tracking for both general skydiving break-off e.g. 4-way FS, and for future BASE.

For BASE I want maximum horizontal separation over an altitude, so I take it I set up the Flysight to feedback on GLIDE RATIO?

What about general skydiving break-offs? Would working to max GLIDE RATIO work here too, or would I be diving below other member of the break-off?

RichyR

For BASE I want maximum horizontal separation over an altitude, so I take it I set up the Flysight to feedback on GLIDE RATIO?

Yes.

RichyR

What about general skydiving break-offs? Would working to max GLIDE RATIO work here too, or would I be diving below other member of the break-off?

Max glide would work but yes, you could be diving compared to others (depending on how they track, obviously).

The key to getting a good glide ratio when tracking is forward speed, which generally is increased by taking a steeper angle of attack.

But remember for break-off you really just need to get clear of your fellow jumpers.
A really good tracker using all the altitude available to them on breakoff could potentially track into the air-space of the next or prior group (especially if you have an equally good tracker coming the opposite way from that group), so just be aware of where you're headed and how far you're going.

Hire a coach and get video to see how your tracking skills are and how you can improve body position and angle. Then use flysight data to back it up.

Flysight is amazing for learning canopy skills (how many feet does it take my canopy to do X and recover).

You can change the body inut you give so much with only slight movements, I think the flysight data would be most valuable when paired up with outside video to account for body position changes (so you can see where you dipped your head to check altitude, finally pointed your toes, or have your legs closer or wider apart).

Are you aware of the instant feedback of the Flysight via tones through headphones, as your post seems to imply you think it's just a data-logger?

Tones can be set to indicate changes to glide ratio, horizontal speed etc, so changes in body position can be tested and refined in realtime.

Surely this is way more straight-forward and beneficial than post-jump video analysis or even coach jumps?

RichyR

Thanks.

So for break-off, maybe work on increasing GLIDE RATIO whilst keeping a fixed shallow angle.

Yeah that seems like a good idea.

I would do dedicated tracking dives with a Flysight both 'slick' and with a tracking suit to improve your glide ratio first.

Then if adopting that body position causes issues going too steep on break-off then just go a little flatter for those jumps instead.

And yes - use the tones as you've said to get real time feedback. :)
Do dedicated solo tracking jumps with a Flysight or coach jumps - not group tracking jumps where you're trying to stick with someone else.

If you're getting good performance out of your tracking suit (past 1:1 GR) then it can be really helpful if a wingsuiter films your body position.

Here's some more advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTQXxaGWSE0

No probs.

Also, for a first tracking suit I highly recommend the standard Phoenix Fly tracking suit.

I've noticed that many people who decide to go straight to a high performance tracking suit (perhaps expecting the suit to just fly itself) find it harder to fly at first, which inhibits their learning and as a result the suit has the exact opposite effect of actually making it harder to get a good track than with the standard PF model (which you can get a great track with anyway).

But whichever suit you get, if you put in a lot of dedicated tracking jumps working on your best glide with a Flysight, your first trip to Europe will be awesome. :)

RichyR

Yeah, I've picked up an old PF Orignal.

Think the Squirrel Sumo will be next as it's supposed to be fine for a beginner, but up to other advanced suits when flown right.

Can you please share/post your flysight config file you use to track your tracking progress.
I tried to do this and I am too dump to get the config right that I get good audio feedback during the track...