Skydive_Gregor

Dangerous stowless bag from Seamless Rigging !!!

timrf79

Just some food for thought about the fully magnetic gear bag, a friend of mine had a bag lock with a fully magnetic bag.
Which is quite contradicting to the discussion here about lack of closing power.

I suspect there are magnets and then there are Magnets, and not all of them are created equal - I don't believe there's an industry standard that all bag manufacturers use, but am willing to be corrected on that.

Not only that, the attractive power of magnets follows an inverse square law so if you double the distance between magnets the power quarters. It's not too hard to believe that different bags might have different thicknesses or densities of material between them which would result in differing attractive forces in bags compared between manufacturers.

Again, I ask why a solution with so many variables is a good idea for anyone other than someone who is using a very twitchy canopy? The bag rocking as line stows release from rubber bands on something like a moderately loaded 150 is not the end of the world. In fact I doubt it's even noticeable. As you state, both types of bags require proper packing technique so there's really no saving there.

In fact the only big save I can see if if you have arthritis in your fingers - Getting stows around the line bights can be a pain in the arse. (or fingers, more accurately)

Get the magnet strength wrong and you'll either get bag-lock or bag-strip, then again you can say the same things about elastic bands.

Fully stowless bag are very convenient and the one I use has a decade of usage and many happy customers.

Now just for fun here is a video of mega powerful magnets destroying stuff......the sausage crushing really makes me squirm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhk8Atatp0

Iwan

I've been watching stowless bag without magnets, quite smart idea, for more than 3 years of hard work on DZ. Without any problems.

could you pm me a picture of it one day you happen to have a photocam with you at the DZ? I'm really interested in its design. Is it closed via flaps like on the semi stowless PODs from Sunpath and UPT, just with the whole bag or does it utilise a different sollution?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends