golden

i'm a music fan....

I'm sure its fine when everything goes right; but when everything goes wrong it could land you in trouble.

For Example:
Imagine getting in a canopy wrap/entanglement with another jumper but your ipod has rendered you unable to communicate and you chop before the other guy is ready; you've just killed your friend.

I wouldn't bring music and I won't jump w/ you if you do. I think music is best when added to the video after the fact.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

I asked my instructor about this once and he said its ok for the ride to altitude but when it comes to freefall its probably not a good idea. He also said that its not real easy to hear the music during frefall anyway because it is so loud.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

This has been discussed more then once and there have been some good threads about it.

The short answer is its not real bright to freefall with music. Its one thing if you're doing a solo clear and pull from altitude and really have no canopy traffic to worry about, though.

Think about it, while on a group RW or FF dive I'm concentrating on the dive and all the parts of the dive and doing my best. I don't need the distraction of music. Not only that but think about the damage to your hearing you'll sustain from having the music up THAT LOUD to hear it under your helmet in freefall. Now, under canopy, even if its a 182 load with only 4 jumpers, are you going to want to limit your ability to see and hear other jumpers? I don't.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Noise polution... :o

I have considered it for when I am the only up jumper in a 206 filled with two tandems. In that event I would have no one in my airspace but me, but don't think I would consider it in any other situation.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I rarely have strong reactions to questions, but I did with this one. Skydiving is serious, at exit, in freefall, and under canopy. If you are listening to music you are distracting yourself, and putting yourself in much more danger, and more importantly, putting me in much more danger.

I very, very strongly urge you to never do it. In fact, I beg you. I would respond the same to anyone, with any experience level.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

And let me chime in again.. there is nothing quite like dancing on air during a freestyle dive... just movin to the music...

BUT keep the MP3 down to 45 sec or so...groovin for longer could be hazardous to your health:P

Even my 275 MPH+ Speed jumps are usually only about 40 sec or so ... I figure 45 sec is long enough to dance on air.

BUT to the Original Poster.. DUDE.. get a whole lot more air time before you try something like this.

Now, under canopy, even if its a 182 load with only 4 jumpers, are you going to want to limit your ability to see and hear other jumpers?

Not trying to be a ass, serious question here... What about jumpers that are deaf? Wouldn't listening to music essentially be the same in that you aren't going to hear anything going on around you? Though with music you might be jammin to the tunes and just not paying much attention to your surroundings.

Either way, probably not the best idea.

Now, under canopy, even if its a 182 load with only 4 jumpers, are you going to want to limit your ability to see and hear other jumpers?

Not trying to be a ass, serious question here... What about jumpers that are deaf? Wouldn't listening to music essentially be the same in that you aren't going to hear anything going on around you? Though with music you might be jammin to the tunes and just not paying much attention to your surroundings.

Either way, probably not the best idea.

You basically just answered your own question - the music is a distraction, which is different than silence. A deaf jumper obviously has to keep himself extra-aware at all times, since he can't use an audible, and he can't hear other jumpers under canopy in the sky with him.

I don't know any deaf jumpers, but I have a deaf cousin and when she drives, she has to keep her head on a swivel more than a hearing person to compensate. She's in her 40's now and I don't think she's had any accidents.

Depends on the music. But really, it's been done - a lot. It depends on you and your experience and your ability to stay in the present on your skydive. It is not the music or the listening which is inherently dangerous. As with most of skydiving, the weak link is the human involvement. If you can't handle it, it'll kill you. (Like hook turns. They're innocent. We're the guilty ones. A good hook is a thing of beauty. And they will absolutely NEVER kill untill the skydiver commits suicide. You can be low, or you can be "too" low. There's a serious difference.) Biting off more than you can chew doesn't make eating a liability. It makes you a liability to yourself.

I asked my instructor about this once and he said its ok for the ride to altitude

I respectfully disagree with your instructor. I'd hate to be distracted by music when "EXIT EXIT EXIT!" comes from the cockpit.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Wussies! (Not a personal...rather a general attack!) I've done it a bit...It's a waste of effort really. If your doing anything cool in freefall you wont even hear it till you dump. I was always shocked to hear music when I deployed cause I was so focused on the skydive durring freefall. It's entertaining on the ride to altitude, not as entertaining as making fun of your friends though;) Especially if one of you ipod wearing friends is singing. I would wait until you have a good amount of experience till you start adding shit to your skydive.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

I respectfully disagree with your instructor. I'd hate to be distracted by music when "EXIT EXIT EXIT!" comes from the cockpit.

Yeah, sure we have it all the time too. :S

How about those guy relaxing or sleeping on ridding to altitude?

[shrug] I hold the same opinion. It only has to happen once. If people are comfortable with it, I don't have a problem with it unless it effects my safety. I may be crazy, but it doesn't hurt to stay on my toes.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

[shrug] I hold the same opinion. It only has to happen once. If people are comfortable with it, I don't have a problem with it unless it effects my safety. I may be crazy, but it doesn't hurt to stay on my toes.

Aircraft emergencies does not some without a notice. After some dives you should know and feel the normal behavior of the jump plane and the pilot. You should see and feel the difference between a crisis situation and normal life.

I'm not realy sure what this nonsense about "distraction" is all about. Unless you're laying back, groovin' to the tunes, humming along, tapping your toes, digging the sunshine, thinking of "her", getting off on those nasty guitar riffs, and otherwise actually listening to the music - which I tend to doubt even happens on the ground - and if you occasionally see the earth below you whether you took the time to notice it intentionally or not, I cannot imagine the music can be a distraction. It won't blind you. Jerking off does that (so don't even consider it in freefall). Not too long ago, before audibles and reliable - and therefore ubiquitous - AADs, we knew we had two good altitude detection devices we could count on. They're on either side of the nose. Once these are operational, then (other than an in-air injury) it would take various forms of mental retardation, or, as a substitute to that, suicidal tendencies, to efffectively cause one to become disoriented and miss pull time. Otherwise, this talk of music being a distraction is insane. The most it is is a waste of time and something mostly only a beginner would bother with or consider in the first place. The music and the skydive will not enhance one another. The skydive won't suddenly become better. I say try it. Go right ahead. But you'll outgrow it in less than a season. And if you're too young in the sport and are hesitant to make all your own decisions, go ask an Instructor or S&TA and just do what they tell you.You won't know one way or another if they're right anyway. You'll have to trust them. The other option is to forget the whole question. Look around you. How many experienced skydivers do you see doing this? Now go ask them how many of them already asked this question. It's as old as the Walkman. Maybe older. Bottom line: Remember your pull priorities. Outside of that, as Will Shakespeare's Macbeth almost said, "Rock on, Macduff!, and damn'd be him that first cries, "Hold, enough."

They're on either side of the nose. Once these are operational, then (other than an in-air injury) it would take various forms of mental retardation, or, as a substitute to that, suicidal tendencies, to efffectively cause one to become disoriented and miss pull time. Otherwise, this talk of music being a distraction is insane.

It is not just about missing pull time. End of the skydive is when you get back to packing area. Once I was almost hit by a rolling glider plane. I think its quite dumb to use headphones and listen music even on a bicycle or motorbike. We should open up and not close our senses in this hazardous environment .

Of course the skydive isn't over till you're back... I got taken to the hospital in a chopper two years ago when some asshole hit me after I'd been on the ground almost a whole minute. Yes, you're right there. However, I believe the original question is about music in freefall. I maintain that listening to music in freefall will not amount to closing our senses. We have to do that on our own. It won't be the music, but the person, who brings his or her own distractions. Listening to music in freefall is not at all a danger unless the person listening can't handle it. For whatever reason. So the question isn't one of taking music along. It's how the individual responds or doesn't respond while listening. In freefall. Not at the landing area. That wasn't the question.