Kiwiskydiving

Vector micron V306 or V319? Opinions on same main but bigger reserves.

According to UPT's sizing chart, http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf V306 and V319 has the same main canopy range, but V306 fits a OP126 while V319 fits a OP143. I however see a lot more V306s than V319s on the market. If I were to pick one, I'm leaning towards a V319 because of the bigger reserve. I'm also 6'1", so the 2" difference in length might help. Is there a reason why most people go for a V306 other than it looks smaller?

I know a few folks that have a V319 and tried the OP143. All now have an OP126 in there as it was like a brick. I have a 308. Again, some use a 143. I can't imagine doing so...so have a 126, as do most I know.

The better answer is to step up a rig size instead of fiddling around the margins.

Also, per UPT: Caution if you put a full fitting main canopy and full fitting reserve canopy in the same container; this may be very hard to pack if bulk distribution is not correct.
This is particularly true for the containers V303, V304, and V306

You can put smaller canopies in the v306, many jumpers have put small pads/pillows in the rig to allow for smaller canopies. On another note...

http://www.kiwiskydiving.com/2016/09/fast-ish-downsizing.html

That's your blog correct? You're on a 150, and you're already thinking about a container that will take a 120 max and are asking about a Katana/Crossfire 97?

Haha don't worry it's just a question that popped up looking through the chart because I don't see a UPT container that has a full fit for KA97/XF99. The best they got is standard fit, so it seems possible that a V306 must fit a KA97/XF99 or else ppl will have to switch containers all the time. I'm staying on my 150 for another half an year.. I promise :D. The original question though, came up because I see that UPT makes containers that hold the same mains but different reserves. And I'd like to know why most people opt for the smaller reserves. I could've named V308 and V320 but I chose to put V306 and V319 in the question since those are more common. Just a curious question guys.

As you have suggested, it is almost entirely because the smaller reserve container looks cooler. And smaller rigs are sometimes more comfortable.

Personally I am happy the option exists to have a range of sizes - I am not entirely sure I have finished downsizing mains forever (though I've been on this size for about half my total jumps now), but I'm pretty happy I don't have to get a reserve smaller than the one I have now :)

Other people say care a lot about having a main and a reserve that will play well together if they end up with two out, but I think the idea that a highly elliptical 109 will fly nicely with a Smart 110 is suspicious - and the vast majority of us will go our entire careers without a two-out. Nearly all of us are going to land our little reserve at some point though, and some proportion of us will be in a tight spot or injured or freaked out while we do it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've got a 306 with Xaos 21-94. I put an OP113 in because I didn't want a full fitting reserve (don't want that thing hesitating when it's coming out of the container) but it's a small reserve when you're trying to put it down in a tight spot off the DZ. If I was buying again, I'd go 319 for sure. Same thickness as the 306, just a little longer and the 306 sits high on my back already (I'm 5'10" but my torso is quite long)

I've seen quite a few people buy small containers that fit only "small" reserves simply because they think it looks cooler.
What an idiotic thing to do.
Or they will try and justify their stupid decision by saying their rig is now more comfortable.
I call Bullshit.
A modern rig that fits is comfortable regardless of compatible canopy size.
Why would anyone think that wearing a rig that looks like an 8 year old's school bag looks cool anyway?
I say, leave them to it and don't be an idiot too.