skydiverek

Crazy line-dump/bag-strip Video !

Probably one of the best line-dump/bag-strip situations ever caught on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C75zeWPgpQ8

"Premature opening in freefly, ZP PC and lazy bag. Maybe it's time to discuss about new solutions in skydiving, which skydivers are testing on themselves for their money. Tested for decades d-bag now is not trendy, but lazy bag in some situations could be quite dangerous. Bag should open only if lines are tensioned. We have now double-stowed campaign and lazy bags are totally opposite idea. Lazy bag like this!"

Nice find.

I can't comment on the Lazy Bag in general, but there could be some "what did they expect" criticism here. If someone's bag is only closed by magnets, there will be some rate of acceleration of the bag that is too much for it to handle...and that jumper found it. Not at normal belly terminal, but only in a failure situation of a premature at sitfly speeds.

Conventional elastics might hold in a canopy at a higher pilot chute acceleration or freefall speed, Tube Stoes might go even faster, and high speed gear might even use other methods like bungees.

That bag was a little too lazy to protect the jumper at that speed...

Yes, deployment closure methods are speed-specific. They also vary with the amount of "snatch force" the pilot-chute imposes on the "deployment bag."
I remember Manley Butler telling me that "rubber bands are good up to 200 knots, but faster than that you need line-stow flutes."

Maybe we need to take a closer look at the "no Velcro" line-stow pockets pioneered by BASE jumpers??????????

JerryBaumchen

Hi flyer,

What are line stow flutes?

Aerodyne uses elastic ones:

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/IconManual_PF_web.pdf

Go to page 22 to see the flutes.

I think Free Flight uses nylon ones:

http://www.freeflightent.com/forms/PV_Pack_Inst_V.pdf

Go to page 8 to see theirs.

Jerry Baumchen

Nice set up. (Fly Aerodyne ).
Life is short ... jump often.

As far as I know, PD, Sun Path and UPT all tested fully magnetic bags and decided it wasn't a good idea and they didn't offer good closing characteristics.
That's more than enough for me, if it was a good idea, they'd be selling it and making money out of it, don't ya think?
Semi-Stowless is good enough for me, it's a good compromise between a quicker packjob, less lines to stow, generally smooth opening, AND tested design approved by main manufacturers.

I get payed to test stuff in my day job, I don't need to pay to test shit for my passion during my personal time. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I can understand normal lazy bags, as kind of evolution from freebag of reserve canopy, of the pocket on BASE canopy. Not like something for making shorter time of packing but the way of avoiding linetwists. But totally stowless bags, sorry, what for? Fashion?
In this particular situation that was the chain of some factors, not only the problem of the stowless bag. Really important was the speed, kind of pilotchute and the hackey. But at the end the CUSTOMER was testing for his own money, the modern product which is not original part of the rig. So that is something we should start do discuss. Why people are going to test on his organism new parts, quite expensive ones, not tested earlier. To have less problems with packing?

Iwan

I can understand normal lazy bags, as kind of evolution from freebag of reserve canopy, of the pocket on BASE canopy. Not like something for making shorter time of packing but the way of avoiding linetwists. But totally stowless bags, sorry, what for? Fashion?
In this particular situation that was the chain of some factors, not only the problem of the stowless bag. Really important was the speed, kind of pilotchute and the hackey. But at the end the CUSTOMER was testing for his own money, the modern product which is not original part of the rig. So that is something we should start do discuss. Why people are going to test on his organism new parts, quite expensive ones, not tested earlier. To have less problems with packing?

Because all the cool kids have stowless bags. They are magical and solve all problems with off heading openings. Just ask anyone who owns one. (In other words they are the current fashion for no good reason at all)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.