CLWDDNCR

Any experience with a Firebolt 180?

I’m a total novice and apparently shouldn’t be flying one, but I’ve done 7 jumps on a Firebolt 210 loaded at 0.85 and my observation in comparison with two larger student canopies is that the snivel is very long (I thought I had a malfunction on the first of those jumps) and the slider tends to get stuck for a moment about a foot above the risers, sometimes requiring a pull on rears to get it down.

benlangfeld

I’m a total novice and apparently shouldn’t be flying one, but I’ve done 7 jumps on a Firebolt 210 loaded at 0.85 and my observation in comparison with two larger student canopies is that the snivel is very long (I thought I had a malfunction on the first of those jumps) and the slider tends to get stuck for a moment about a foot above the risers, sometimes requiring a pull on rears to get it down.

Hi Ben....sounds like you're doing things right....wing loading at 0.85 sounds ok...did you buy this canopy or are you renting.

benlangfeld

Renting. I only discovered it was a firebolt after those 7 jumps. Scared me when I found out it’s definitely not a beginners canopy.

Here's what I found on the Firebolt and wing loading:
The FireBolt can't be compared directly to any other canopy. When lightly loaded (.5 or .6 pounds per sq. ft.), it can be a beginner canopy. When heavily loaded (2.3 pounds per sq. ft. to 1.7 pounds per sq. ft.) it is a high performance canopy, that will please the most aggressive canopy pilot. canopy. When loaded from .85 pounds per square foot to 1.6 or so, it is a great all-around canopy, capable of slow flight with lots of stability and great toggling range.

The firebolt is pretty dated and is between the Stiletto and Sabre in terms of its performance. The Pilot is close to how the Firebolt flies. Not many really high performance pilots would really be that pleased with how it flies when its compared to any of the current designs out there even when you look at the non-crossbraced models. At a light loading it would be fine but if you load it up there are much better flying canopies out there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Typical openings are 300 – 400 feet to a fully opened canopy. The FireBolt is tuned for soft, comfortable openings. That is why it's a "cameraman's dream". Front riser pressure is relatively easy. The flare is terrific, and what I mean by that is, it’ll “pop you up” if you come in with a lot of speed and apply brakes all at once; or it will give you a sustained surf if you give it a little bit of brake as you enter ground effect. It’s a very effective flare. If you land conservatively (no front riser or hook turn), you’ll still get tremendous lift and consequently a good flare with the FireBolt.

The current production FireBolt patterns and line trims has been refined since it was first introduced and since we started using Ultrasil 0-Porosity canopy fabric, FireBolts are wearing much better. The best thing to do is demo one to see how the NEW FireBolt performs.

NancyJ

Typical openings are 300 – 400 feet to a fully opened canopy. The FireBolt is tuned for soft, comfortable openings. That is why it's a "cameraman's dream". Front riser pressure is relatively easy. The flare is terrific, and what I mean by that is, it’ll “pop you up” if you come in with a lot of speed and apply brakes all at once; or it will give you a sustained surf if you give it a little bit of brake as you enter ground effect. It’s a very effective flare. If you land conservatively (no front riser or hook turn), you’ll still get tremendous lift and consequently a good flare with the FireBolt.

The current production FireBolt patterns and line trims has been refined since it was first introduced and since we started using Ultrasil 0-Porosity canopy fabric, FireBolts are wearing much better. The best thing to do is demo one to see how the NEW FireBolt performs.

Thanks for the update Nancy