jdhill

When Does Life Begin?

Just curoius what people think?

J

Nice read

http://zygote.swarthmore.edu/intro5.html

Biologists were unanimous in agreeing that life starts at fertilization, and that there was no dispute in the scientific literature. Besides being a parody of science (i.e., that scientific facts are the objective truth and that all scientists agree what these facts mean), it is wrong. I have read a wide range of scientific positions on when life begins, and these positions depend on what aspect of life one privileges in such discussions. Here is my classification scheme concerning when human life begins. You may have others.

1. The metabolic view. There is no point when life begins. The sperm cell and egg cell are as alive as any other organism.

2. The genetic view. A new individual is created at fertilization. This is when the genes from the two parents combine to form an individual with unique properties.

3. The embryological view. In humans, identical twinning can occur as late as day 12 pc. Such twinning produces two individuals with different lives. Even conjoined ("Siamese") twins can have different personalities. Thus, a single individuality is not fixed earlier than day 12. (In religious terms, the two individuals have different souls). Some medical texts consider the stages before this time as a "pre-embryonic". This view is expressed by scientists such as Renfree (1982) and Grobstein (1988) and has been endorsed theologically by Ford (1988), Shannon and Wolter (1990), and McCormick (1991), among others. (Such a view would allow contraception, "morning after pills", and contragestational agents, but not abortion after two weeks).

4. The neurological view. Our society has defined death as the loss of the cerebral EEG (electroencephalogram) pattern. Conversely, some scientists have thought that the acquisition of the human EEG (at about 27 weeks) be defined as when a human life has begun. This view has been put forth most concretely by Morowitz and Trefil (1992). (This view and the ones following would allow mid-trimester abortions).

5. The ecological/technological view. This view sees the human life as beginning when it can exist separately from its maternal biological environment. The natural limit of viability occurs when the lungs mature, but technological advances can now enable a premature infant to survive at about 25 wks gestation. (This is the view currently operating in many states. Once a fetus can be potentially independent, it cannot be aborted).

6. The immunological view. This view sees human life as beginning when the organism recognizes the distinction between self and non-self. In humans, this occurs around the time of birth.

7. The integrated physiological view. This sees human life as beginning when it has become independent of the mother and has its own functioning circulatory system, alimentary system, and respiratory system. This is the traditional birthday when the baby is born into the world and the umbilical cord is cut.

Carpe Diem

About 5 billion years ago?

As today I already was called a smartass, let me follow that tradition:

Question is: When DOES life begin? :P:P
:)

uh,,,, 4 billion years ago?

(actually, tonight when the door opens and I hear a loud rushing noise)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> Just curoius what people think?

It never stops. Your ovaries or testes are alive. Your sperm or egg cells are alive. An unfertilized pair is alive, as is a fertilized egg. Once the fetus begins development, _its_ ovaries or testes are alive - and it goes on forever.

If the question is when does a fetus become human, I think it happens when it gains the one thing that makes us human - a mind.

> I think it happens when it gains the one thing that makes us human -

solar cells and a hybrid car?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>> I think it happens when it gains the one thing that makes us human -

>solar cells and a hybrid car?

Naah, a sub-100 sq ft main canopy.

Then I am likely never to really live
Look, the clouds have cleared up - have a good weekend

> Just curoius what people think?

It never stops. Your ovaries or testes are alive. Your sperm or egg cells are alive. An unfertilized pair is alive, as is a fertilized egg. Once the fetus begins development, _its_ ovaries or testes are alive - and it goes on forever..

exactly... although i would qualify that as simple existence...

When the door on the Otter opens.

this is the Real answer...

those who dont understand the difference have never really been alive....B|

Ditto. Vinny the Anvil on a sub-100 ft^2 main?

Nooooooooooo way.

I'll remain a sexy but weak-swoopin' JACKASS. My legs are stubby enough as is - they have enough problems.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Life begins in the back seat of the daddy's car.

My momma told me life starts (at least mine) when salt is applied on the margartia glass.

My legs are stubby enough as is - they have enough problems.

Yeah, but c'mon, Vinny. Look at the positives! You get to save so much money on pants by buying shorts since they still come to your ankles anyway!:D
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™