AlanS

Which digital altimeter should I get?

I recently lost my digital altimeter an Altimaster Neptune 2. It's not coming back, so I need to get a new digital altimeter. Usually I take a year doing my own research and then procrastinate for a decade before purchasing something. This time though I need a replacement quick and would like to hear what other skydivers recommend.

Here is my wish-list...
Simple to use both in free-fall and under canopy.
It has a backlight for night jump.
Is accurate for HALO jumps up to 30,000+ feet.
Easy to put on forearm which seems a better place to check altitude when tracking away.

Optional.
Stores parameters about jumps... top-speed, start and deployment altitude, free-fall time, etc...

Any thought or recommendations? Should I just go with the latest Altimaster Neptune, or are there other options?

Atlas is the newest altimaster product.
Viso2+ is from L&B.

Let's start by saying, they're both great products and you can't go wrong.
If you "only" need an altimeter, I'd go with L&B, cheaper, reliable, amazing customer service.

If you need something that doubles up as an audible, then Atlas, much simpler interface when you want to change alarm settings, also really easy to dowload logged data with a USB cable, etc. The Atlas is considerably more expensive and I personally find it less rugged (this based on the N3, though, not sure if they have changed their casing construction?).

The only other functional difference: the VISO2+ has a non-chargeable battery, which means you change the battery every couple of years. The Atlas has a rechargeable battery, which means you charge it with a USB cable every 1 or 2 months.

That's pretty much it, both altimeters will satisfy your requirements and you can't really go wrong with either of them.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I have an Atlas, an Optima 2 audilble and a ION.
The Optima 2 has crashed on me now several times, which makes me hesitant towards other L&B products.
I also prefer the USB charging and logging function.

Between the ION and Atlas... the ATLAS is slimmer and feels more mature.
The ION is missing the Eco system, but is half the price.

Personally I prefer Atlas

grantunderland

Because the Viso was too complicated for him, so he bashes them whenever he can. Facts are meaningless, just check his thread about getting rid of USPA

You're the one saying complicated, I'm just not stuck in the 80's.
Looks like USPA is too complicated for you to grasp, you're the perfect lemming they feed off of. I'll give them kudos for that.

To the OP, salesman who sold me one said 19k ft trying to upsell the N3, so apologies for getting it wrong and thx for the corrections from others.

The interface for the viso, optima, protrack is really awful, and complicated. That has nothing to do with the decades in which a person has lived.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

The interface for the viso, optima, protrack is really awful, and complicated. That has nothing to do with the decades in which a person has lived.

Agreed, but kids of the 80s are more used to remember long key combos for Mortal Kombat fatalities and special moves, so they might find changing altitudes or modes on L&B products slightly more familiar.
As an example, UP-UP-DOWN-LEFT-R1-HOLD Y - TURN ON YOURSELF- PRESS SHIFT FOR 3.4 SECONDS - RIGHT- RIGHT - ATTACK - PULL MY FINGER - RIGHT 360, gives you the number of jumps on your viso.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

Agreed, but kids of the 80s are more used to remember long key combos for Mortal Kombat fatalities and special moves, so they might find changing altitudes or modes on L&B products slightly more familiar.
As an example, UP-UP-DOWN-LEFT-R1-HOLD Y - TURN ON YOURSELF- PRESS SHIFT FOR 3.4 SECONDS - RIGHT- RIGHT - ATTACK - PULL MY FINGER - RIGHT 360, gives you the number of jumps on your viso.

NO, NO, NO! ... LEFT 360 gives you the number of jumps on your VISO. RIGHT 360 gives you unlimited ammo. DUH!

To be honest I find the viso and optima interfaces pretty straight forward, you just have to know how to unlock it (same idea as for turning on your AAD), how to cycle through items (press the only button that doesn't change parameters), and how to enter the settings menu (push and hold the center button for a few seconds)..... then again, I am an 80s kid with lots of hours of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Killer Instinct :D