fireflytx

Who has to deal with a smoking ban in their city? What are everyone's thoughts? I'm ENRAGED!!!!!

I live in Austin and am a non-smoker, but unfortunately, was out of town for the vote. In any case, I spend a lot of time in bars seeing live music so I'm interested to see how it will affect the venues that I frequent as well as the music scene. Honestly, I'm not even sure how I feel about the smoking ban. While I believe in my right not to have to inhale that bullshit, I also know that I can choose not to go to those places, but I choose to accept the risk and go anyway.

What's interesting is Wilco just had 4 show's at the aragon ball room in chicago....they specificaly requested a smoking ban for the show's....you can bet everyone of there show's was sold out. and Jeff Tweedy is a smoker and wanted this. Music will always be there...they can always smoke after the show...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I know - I'm so excited! I was one of the ones who voted to ban it. I'll now be able to go downtown without coughing for hours the next day... There just weren't any bars downtown that I ever saw that were non-smoking (except for those inside of restaurants).. Its going to be so nice to not have to go outside regularly just to get some fresh air...

W

I dont think smoking should be illegal, but I think people that choose to smoke should do it in private where the smoke doesnt hurt anyone else
that did NOT chose to breathe it. Not in public places.

Agreed.

I also used to smoke. I don't do so any longer. When I smoked it didn't bother me to be around smoke, of course, and I was a little upset when smoking was taken out of certain bars, etc, here in Florida. But, I got used to it, and came to appreciate the way things didn't smell anymore. I eventually quit smoking and am not longer tolerant of it. I would like to enjoy a meal and a beer without breathing in someone's second hand smoke.

In short, i'm FOR the ban. . . everywhere. Smoke at home or in designated areas. Me, my family, my friends, other people and their children do not deserve to be forced to breathe that crap in while walking in the park, down the street, etc, either. Not to mention cigarette butts that are thrown everywhere, I think people should be fined.

-A

Is there some sort of psychological mechanism that kicks in to distort reality and allows one to actually accept as unchallenged fact there is a health hazzard in you walking in a park or down a street where smoking is not banned?

Whatever ex-smoker ideology you might choose, claiming your health (and never forget to claim 'Save the Children' ) is a risk is a bit lame in those instances. You wanting it banned is your choice. Using bad science and poorly supported rhetoric to support a personal or ideological position is not cool.

non-smoker jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

well if its any consolation:

In Ireland they now have a smoking ban in pubs & restaurants. At first everyone thought it would be devastating to pub owners (since so many Irish smoke) but the Irish took to it a lot easier than expected.

Part of it has to do with bringing in more non-smokers, and also, the same thing is happening in UK & Ireland as happened here: During the last 25 years or so, the % of people who smoke has gone down drastically.

So you might not see as much of a big fall-off in business as you might think.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

True. Now that I think of it, the Gaslamp Quarter allows someone to stroll and smoke. I hope your area has a good front to hang out at.

Actually, the Gaslamp has a smoke shop near Island Ave and 5th.

What is interesting here is that the ban is in Austin, which is where multitudes of Californians are moving to. I had one freind who went there, who told me he kept hearing California accents everywhere while he was in Austin, then he checked out an apartment and the apartment manager was from San Diego. He's telling me that half the population in Austin is from California.

The point is, the smoking ban sounds exactly like something that comes out of California, I really think they are trying to "colonize" Austin, make it more like California and less like Texas to accomadate Californians who are moving there. Next thing youre going to see is alfalfa sprout burritos (yep, they have them here).

I will become concerned about the "right" of some people to pollute the air other people breath, about the same time I become concerned about the "right" of some people to pollute the water other people drink.

And don't try to compare smoking to drinking. If drinkers were like smokers, they would be going around the room pouring alcohol into non-drinkers Cokes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I will become concerned about the "right" of some people to pollute the air other people breath, about the same time I become concerned about the "right" of some people to pollute the water other people drink.

Do you apply the same logic to people who drive gas guzzling vehicles?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It is smoking first, what is next alcohol??? This is prohibition all over again! So I guess if we have a vote that everyone should eat bananas on a Wednesday and it pass we need to eat bananas on a Wednesday. WTF????

A...which one of your inalienable rights is being taken away?

B...they are not banning smoking...just taking it out of the bar and restraunts. Obviously you forgot the part about the 18th ammendment banning ALL forms of intoxicating liquors from ALL places..even at home. this is just not what this ban is about.

the tobacco companies have way to much money invested in congress for smoking itself to be banned. now there is that chance that health insurance companies will start denying clames for people that are smokers...and also for peope to start filing liability suits to others that have been "potentialy" harmed...but who' knows.

Marc

One question...when you say "smoking ban", Im assuming this applies to indoor areas like bars, restarurants, office bldgs, ect? Not to smoking outside or in your house, right?

Im assuming this is that type of smoking ban, the post makes it sound like smoking prohibition.

A STUPID FUCKING SMOKING BAN WENT THROUGH HERE IN AUSTIN! I am really upset my money is going to definitely hurt as of September 1st when this ban goes in effect. I know all the arguments for why it will be better but I CHOOSE WHERE TO WORK AND I DO I KNOW WHAT IT DOES TO MY HEALTH. Last year here in Austin you had to get a certain air filtration system put in and get a permit to have smoking. Ok, Fine. My club did that along with 200 other bars & restaurants. THIS LEFT SMOKERS AND NONSMOKERS A CHOICE OF WHERE TO WORK OR PATRON. And if you know anything about Austin, 200 bars and restaurants is MAYBE a third of what is here. BUT NOW IT IS BANNED!!!!!

I had a plan this year to pay off my credit card, buy a new rig, pay off my car early and get Lasik surgery and perhaps next year take some trips and go to school. Now because of stupid do-gooders that think they know what is best for me I probably won't be able to get my eyes fixed, or persue my life in the way I had planned out for this year.

We lost by 2% or the vote. I think it was rigged. What right does the city have to even bring it to vote?????? THEY DON'T! I am going to fight this. It is smoking first, what is next alcohol??? This is prohibition all over again! So I guess if we have a vote that everyone should eat bananas on a Wednesday and it pass we need to eat bananas on a Wednesday. WTF?????

Our rights are slowly being taken away from us, everyone. We need to stand up and fight. This is America, Land of the Free!

Or maybe not so free.......

calm down there tiger! Did you ever happen to think that alot of people stay out of bars b/c they don't want to go home smelling like smoke for a couple days. not to mention that the amount smoke the non-smokers inhale in unreal. The law was passed b/c like it or not most people in that state don't want to smoke but want to have a good time at a bar.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Let me repeat a big part of what I am saying:

"Last year here in Austin you had to get a certain air filtration system put in and get a permit to have smoking. Ok, Fine. My club did that along with 200 other bars & restaurants. THIS LEFT SMOKERS AND NONSMOKERS A CHOICE OF WHERE TO WORK OR PATRON. And if you know anything about Austin, 200 bars and restaurants is MAYBE a third of what is here."

My right that is taken away.....Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness without harming anyone. Please see above if you think I am trying to hurt someone. All I want is a choice.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

>I've got an issue with the "deaths from second hand smoke" statistics.
> I've seen a few death certificates and I don't ever seem to recall seeing
>"second-hand smoke" listed as a cause.

You've probably never seen "drunk driving", "coal fired power plants" "too many Big Macs" or "stupidity" listed on a death certificate either. But they kill a lot of people.

calm down there tiger! Did you ever happen to think that alot of people stay out of bars b/c they don't want to go home smelling like smoke for a couple days. not to mention that the amount smoke the non-smokers inhale in unreal. The law was passed b/c like it or not most people in that state don't want to smoke but want to have a good time at a bar.

If a bar or restaurant was losing that many customers because they allowed smoking, they would stop allowing smoking in their bars. When I go to the bar and play some retarded song (like Vanilla Ice) on the jukebox just because I'm drunk, and people start leaving because they don't like the music, the bartender tells me to stop fucking playing shit like that, cuz he's losing customers.

If bars were against the ban, obviously they weren't losing enough customers due to smoking.
This ad space for sale.

"drunk driving", "coal fired power plants" "too many Big Macs" or "stupidity" listed on a death certificate either. But they kill a lot of people.

it seems to me the drunks, are the ones who ate WAY too many big macs...and tend to be a tad stupid....and call me. da bastards.B|:P:P:)

Marc

>I've got an issue with the "deaths from second hand smoke" statistics.
> I've seen a few death certificates and I don't ever seem to recall seeing
>"second-hand smoke" listed as a cause.

You've probably never seen "drunk driving", "coal fired power plants" "too many Big Macs" or "stupidity" listed on a death certificate either. But they kill a lot of people.

How about cell phones while people are driving?

It was banned in public places here in California. It pissed people off just like it's pissed you off. a couple months later, nobody cared. It didn't slow the business at all and it sure makes it a pleasure not having to breath smoke and smell it on my clothes.

Filtration systems hehehe... whatever.. If you're smoking along with 50 other people continuously all evening in a room, it gets on me and everything else.

The rule simply makes it better for those who don't wish to smoke when the person next to them is. For a non smoker, smoking sucks. There's nothing good about it. If you choose to smoke, then go for it. I prefer my air to be smoke free. Bars are so much better without it.

I know you don't beleive it now but in a couple months, it won't matter at all. You will have to step outside for a few minutes is all.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The point is, the smoking ban sounds exactly like something that comes out of California, I really think they are trying to "colonize" Austin, make it more like California and less like Texas to accomadate Californians who are moving there. Next thing youre going to see is alfalfa sprout burritos (yep, they have them here).

See more and more like Boulder every day. :P

Now all you need is the insanely fit rock climbers, road bikers, and adventure racers
Fly it like you stole it!

Firefly, I don't know if you smoke, so don't take this personally...

It's amazing, the specious reasoning that addicts will use to preserve the ability to imbibe in their addiction...

I am not one of those addicts.