msplayer

Merit pack volume

A merit packs small, and one with a good number of jumps even smaller. Count on it packing a size or so smaller than say a sabre2.

BTW, are you sure you want to jump one? ;) Hard to very-hard openings. A quite outdated design. Very short steering lines, which might be fun for STEERING but front risers are just about useless and mind that it can fly in full flight, there should to be a bit of a bow in the steering lines when in full flight.

Easy to pack, tho...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

msplayer

what about an electra 190 into the javelin j5?

Can't help you there, I've never packed or flown an electra. Just merit and springo (my tip: avoid both...).

AFAIK an electra is a hybrid canopy too (if I remember correctly?), should pack similar to a silhouette I'd think, it will pack larger than a merit in any case, but I think it will pack smaller than say a sabre2, especially if it has many jumps on it. so my is that since a jav j5 holds ZP up to 230, a 190 ZP will be too small (210 ZP will probably work but soft) and a hybrid 190 would be too small. Ask your (European) rigger to confirm tho.

On all accounts, electra seems to be a much better canopy design than its predecessor merit, anyway all jumpers I know who flew electra were quite happy with it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yea the electra is a hybrid like the silhouette. The other day I jumped a sil 210 and it fits nicely into the container. The things is, isn't "up to" means that the biggest canopy the container can hold? I read from some where that a guy managed to put a sabre 170 into a j5 by shortening the closing loop, is there a need for me to do that as well?

Container size does nog correlate one to one to the canopy size. Pack volume of a canopy depends on many factors, including size, type of materials (ZP packs bigger as a rule of thumb than F111), amount of reinforcement tape used in construction, type of lines, etc. As a practical example: my Silhouette 190 packs smaller than my Lightning 160. Even though its 30 sqft smaller, the Lightning is full ZP, newer, has thicker Dacron lines, and uses more reinforcement tape. The Silhouette is a hybrid with ZP topskin and F111 bottom skin. It also has lots more jumps on it, which tend to increase the permeability of the fabric and decrease pack volume. Combined with thinner lines means it packs smaller.

Shortening or lengthening the closing loop does give you a bit more leeway in packing different canopies in a container, but the closing loop should always be short enough to hold on to the pin with sufficient force (to prevent a premature deployment because the pin just fell out). And since there is a minimum length the closing loop can be, there's a limit to the minimum pack size canopy you can fit safely.