jc07025

Singer 66

I won't get to taking a rigger course for another year, but in the mean time I was going to get a good old sewing machine and have a crack at some gear bags etc. Took a look on craigslist and saw this:

http://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/atq/5735941130.html

It's a singer, searching the plate info tells me model 66, it is 100 CAD/75 USD. I don't think it can do a zig zag. Looks good condition from the pictures but I haven't gone to see it yet.

I'm about to head out of country for a trip otherwise I would do some digging online, should I grab it? Is this model too old? Parts availability? Any help appreciated.

It is an OK drop feed machine. It is one of the most common machines Singer made and parts are available and cheap.

For about the same or a bit more money, I would look for a Singer 401 or 500. They are a newer machine, so less examples out in the market. They can go for big money if in perfect condition and a collector wants it. I found one without a case for $20 at the flea market. YMMV. They have better power from a direct drive motor and can do a whole bunch of decorative stitches, including the 304 and 308 zigzag stitches. The 401 is often referred to as the 401A. The letter just designates the factory where the machine was assembled. The "A" indicates the machine was made in South Carolina. I have seen 401 machines with a G(Germany), K(Scotland),J(Canada) and E(New Jersey).

The 500 is often referred to as the Rocketeer because of the shape of the head.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hi cloud,

Singer 401 good for using size 18 or more needles? using E thread? Binding cordura...?

I built an entire container ( only the container ) using a Singer 401.

I used what is know here as a 'jeans' needle.

I had to really work hard, had to pull some stitches thru by hand, etc; but it did the job.

And I would not want to do it again.

Jerry Baumchen

So are you saying I ll be fine for that I should avoid it...?
Jeans needles are size 18 and i know this size can take e thread. however, can the machine itself handle E thread ? (the one i have now takes size 18 but it skips stitches and often shreds the thread bonding when it gets too thick)

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

A Singer 401 will take up to size 18 needles. Actually all domestic sewing machines will. "Jeans" needles I have seen are all size 16, which is the smallest size you can use with E thread. Size 18 is better when sewing Cordura though.

401s are slant needle machines, and use a class 66 bobbin and hook system. The class 15 machines are actually better IMO. But they only made a few Class 15 zigzag machines before the era of plastic gears. A Singer model 237 is the last all metal gear machine of this type they made. ( I'm talking domestic machines only here) It has plastic trim parts, but the parts that count are metal. It lacks the 401's worm gear drive, it's an external motor belt drive. The class 15 bobbins hold twice as much thread, which is a real advantage. And they are an oscillating hook design. Very simple and very robust. The disadvantage here is speed. But that is not really a factor except in manufacturing. You will spend far more time setting up your machine for each job then you will actually sewing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Personally, unless you know a very good sewing machine mechanic I'd stick with something really common like a 20U. There are lots of guys out there who can set them up and time them with their eyes closed. I can also get a hook, bobbins or any of the parts inside a day.

While the machine in your pictures may be perfectly serviceable, there is considerably less knowledge out there and if you're just getting started that's a recipe for being discouraged.

-Michael

While the machine in your pictures may be perfectly serviceable, there is considerably less knowledge out there and if you're just getting started that's a recipe for being discouraged.

The machine in the picture is a Singer 66. Extremely common. That said, if you are going to start with an older domestic straight stitch Singer, get a 15-90 or a 15-91. The 15-91 has a gear drive motor a lot like the 401. The 15-90 has an external belt drive. Singer model 15s are the most copied sewing machine ever produced. You can still buy a brand new one made in India. But the quality is not nearly as good as an older one. They are just as cheap, and a little more suitable with the large class 15 bobbin to boot.

It's easy to spot a model 15, or one of it's many copies. They are the machines with the tension dial on the left face plate instead of facing the operator.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.