Texasreb78

Sabre2 is similar to what other canopy?

Texasreb78

Wouldn't PD's Pulse be closer to Safire and Pilot?

no

Magellan by Skylark
Volt by PS
Cayenne light by Firebird
New S-Fire by Icarus Spain
Quadra-V-Tec or Faqtor by Paratec
Monarch by Precision Aerodynamics
... and a few more depending on what you are looking for in a "Sabre2-like" canopy and how you are going to load it.

So, what do you want out of your canopy?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I think the sabre2 is a design that shows some of its age. PD has continued on their R&D programs improving openings, flight and landings. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a Sabre3 or retired it completely in the next few years.

Having said that, it's hard to compare the sabre2 against anything more modern that's on the market.

-Michael

Thanks! I like the steeper glide and slightly longer recovery arc the Sabre2 has, but I'm not enthusiastic about some of the reviews regarding its openings. I'm gearing myself to progress into high performance landings. This is my starting point of my progression and plan to wing load at about a 1.15 for now. Then possibly the same design wing at a 1.25 before advancing to another design.

Texasreb78

Thanks! I like the steeper glide and slightly longer recovery arc the Sabre2 has, but I'm not enthusiastic about some of the reviews regarding its openings. I'm gearing myself to progress into high performance landings. This is my starting point of my progression and plan to wing load at about a 1.15 for now. Then possibly the same design wing at a 1.25 before advancing to another design.

The openings on a Sabre2 are perfectly fine if you pack it right and have good body position at opening.
I would say that if you struggle with Sabre 2 openings at a WL of <1.5 you should not advance to higher loading/ different design.

If you want to swoop, I would further suggest staying on the canopy platform until a 2.x loading. At least 1.5.
Zulu's, Crossfires, etc.. are speced at a min loading of 1.5.
Due to their shape it might not be bad to have flown a higher loaded semi-elliptical first.

Try Safire 2.
Way softer openings, less resistance on the toggles and risers, ability to recover almost instantly if shit hits the fan but you managed to hit the toggles.

I did more than 1000 jumps on Safires, with wingloads from 1.5 to 1.9, and it flies beatifuly.

Hope this link will work, this is Russian social network, but you should be able to see video without logging in. This is my home DZ 10 years ago and the guys saves himself with a Safire 119, WL ~1.7. See the 'instant brake' feature in action :)

">

Texasreb78

What is a good canopy to compare to the Sabre2? Something with similar flight characteristics; as close to "apples to apples" as you can get. I'm going to try to demo soon.

A Fusion is about as close as you can get to a sabre2, I think. A bit less divey maybe than a sabre2, if you want to do front riser approaches. A pilot feels 'tamer', a safire 1/2 is in between. IMO (I jumped all of these, some of them for years).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Here are some canopy angles of depression :

Sabre 2 15.34 degrees
Pilot 15.06 degrees
Safire 2 15.14 degrees

Katana 18.3 degrees steep
Nitro 13.25 degrees quite flat

That can vary slightly with canopy size.

I don't have the figures for the Pulse but I know that the angle of depression is lower than those canopy above. The Pulse is known to have a quite flat flight like the Nitro and Nitron.

Angle of depression is the angle measured between the chord of the airfoil and the horizontal.

The flight steepness of a canopy depends on (according John LeBlanc from PD) :
1) angle of depression
2) weight distribution
3) canopy design
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.