CanuckInUSA

Most dangerous religion for the future of the world

On the surface some people might say Islam is the most dangerous religion because some radicals have hijacked that religion and decided to wage war on the infidels. But I'm not so sure that the radicals of Islam are any more dangerous than the radical Christian fundamentalists who believe in the book of Revelations and would like nothing more than to see Armageddon happen in their life times. Christianity is after all is the only religion out there that predicts the end of the world in detail and preaches that this is actually a good thing.

So who do you think follows the most dangerous religion towards life on earth and why?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I wouldn't lay it on any religion, because all have a wide range.

I'd lay it on the zealots, and whichever religion has the largest legion of fundamentalist mold-the-world zealots will probably be the most dangerous.

But it's the extremist zealots, not the religion as a whole.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh boy, this one should be good:P

I thought being an agnostic is to deny religion all together, correct me if I'm wrong, but they believe in life and death and that is pretty much it. Right?

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

I was going to vote for Christianity but realized that it is the American radical right claiming Christian principles that scares me most.

As such I voted Other. No way I can lay it on all Christians.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

religion isn't the culprit just as guns are not the culprit in killings. people are the culprit. all religions (at least the widely accepted ones) teach restraint and non-violence but, in the hands of human beings, religion gets twisted into what we want it to be.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I voted Islam, but not because the religion is dangerous. It's just that the leaders of many Islamic countries are treating their citizens like shit, and the only way to make the peasants happy about that is by having a greater evil to fight - the Western world.

Whether or not you believe America's actions against Iraq were appropriate, religion had nothing to do with it.

Thanks, I learned something new;)

I think the poll is a little flawed, like some others may have pointed out, most of the religions in the poll have a good side and a bad side. The bad side (extremists) make the whole look bad. IMHO

There is nothing to fear from your average Christian or your average Muslim.

But the extremists are all over the place. Turn on your TV and you will see tons of Christians preaching Revelations and what a good thing it is, or watch Al-Jezera (sp?) and how they try to instigate Jihad.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Religious topics make my head hurtB|

Agreed, your average religion, if practiced in it's original form, is not the problem. The extremist are the problem. I understand what you are saying;)

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

There, that's nerdy enough

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No religion is the most dangerous. Ignore the political aspects or religion, without moral guidelines the human species races toward destruction:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The particular religion is irrelevant.

Religion is like alcohol; In moderation, it is harmless; In fact it may even be healthy; But when people consume too much they lose touch with reality and become irrational, violent, and dangerous.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The most dangerous religion is the one with the most fanatical practitioners.

If you were crossing the street and about to be hit by a car, anyone would stop you from whatever harm.

If you firmly believe that eternal torment awaits the unbeliever, then anyone leading you away from The Truth is worse than the driver of the car by many orders of magnitude. The false prophets bring ruin and pain.

A true believer should do anything to stop the other religions from spreading their evil.

In the US, there is people shooting abortion doctors.

There are people using cars to transport bombs.
There are people with airplanes to transport bombs, so they don't use cars.

...all because someone talks to invisible people and no one thinks they are crazy.

At the present time, the most dangerous thing is the traditions around the world. There are repressive cultures (some claiming the right through religion) and downright sick shit going on in some places like Africa. Once that has been addressed, you can talk about religion being dangerous. Until then, I don't think religion is a problem.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Atheism is not a religon.

I knew that. But I couldn't leave it off of the list.

Merriam Webster online...

1 a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

merriam Webster on-line...
1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Thus can an argument be made that atheism is indeed a religion...albeit without a diety head. It is a core set of beliefs (which cannot be proved, as deity cannot be proved) that deity does not exist, and which must then be taken on faith.

The one which is most honest is agnosticism, as it does not concretely rule out the existence of deity nor include it concretely in their life.

;)

And I voted for atheism.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Atheism is not a religon.

Sure it is. You religious nut you.

(see above post)

By those definitions, you're one of the biggest zealots I know. :P
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Islam and Judaism do not evangelise where as it is a duty for Christians. (I just know I'm going to see that as a quote!) But I think it is divisive to ask such a question all religions have extreamists. I belive that it is more important to find the commonality of belife rather than focus on the differences that divide us. I voted for Atheism (even though its not strictly a religion) because a man who belives that there is noting greater than himself when linked with the rapid advance of technology is a dangerous creature indeed. For all his failings (which we all have) I am glad that George W Bush is a Christian (as is Tony Blair) I may not agree with all their political belifes but I have come to the conclusion that they really doo belive that they are trying their best to do the right thing. It doesn't make them less dangerous than an atheist but I'm glad that they belive that they will oneday be held to account for their actions to a greater authority. GWB in particular I have noticed change over the years and I belive he really has a desire to do whats right. But I still don't agree with a lot of what e does.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca