rhino

Volunteers to patrol Arizona-Mexico border

>1 - I would expect here that your "watch station" stocked with guns and beer is likely someone's home.

Unless the guy lives on a card table on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere - I doubt it is his home.

Let me make it clear that I do NOT have a problem with someone sitting somwhere drinking beer and looking around (provided it's legal to drink there etc.) I don't even care if they bring their guns with them - as long as all they do is watch for illegal immigrants and call them in. Nothing illegal about any of that.

Now, if it _becomes_ a problem, then the government will likely step in and pass some "drinking and volunteering" law or something. We can hope it doesn't come to that.

Illegal drugs or people.....You will never stop the flow no matter what the US does...It like a sieve,you'll plug one hole then they will find another way to get in!!

Speaking of drugs, anyone catch the story a few weeks ago about a submarine that the drug ppl built to transport drugs to the US?

Built? I heard rumors a few years back that there was some interest from smugglers in old Russian subs. I hadn't heard whether they actually bought one or not. I doubt even the cartels have the money to build one though.

Also, I think the US defense infrastructure would detect a submarine approaching the coast, don't you?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

[ I doubt even the cartels have the money to build one though.
reply]

Not true. they definitely have the cash but they lack the contractors to build it in secret.

A few years back, there was a russian guy that tried to broker a deal between a drug cartel and the moth balled russian fleet, but was foiled by the good old FBI

Built? I heard rumors a few years back that there was some interest from smugglers in old Russian subs. I hadn't heard whether they actually bought one or not. I doubt even the cartels have the money to build one though.

They did build one.

Also, I think the US defense infrastructure would detect a submarine approaching the coast, don't you?

Absolutely. I doubt that would stop them from trying though.

BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) - Colombian police found a homemade submarine capable of carrying $200 million worth of cocaine on a Pacific Ocean smuggling mission, police said Friday.

Police, who acted on a tip, made no arrests after finding the submarine hidden in the port of Tumaco, near the border with Ecuador, the Administrative Security Department detective force said.

It was the second publicized case of Colombian drug smugglers trying to use submarines. In 2000, another underwater vessel was found far from the coast in the Andean mountain capital, Bogota.

Full Store Here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050328/od_nm/crime_colombia_dc_1

->Unless the guy lives on a card table on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere - I doubt it is his home. it's a trajedy, the government should buy him a home. Either that or everybody else deserves 'affordable' card tables to live on.

->as long as all they do is watch for illegal immigrants and call them in. Nothing illegal about any of that.that's what these seniors are supposedly doing

->Now, if it _becomes_ a problem, if 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts, then we'd all.... something something

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you -really- wanted to stem the tide of illegal immigration you'd do something to make them want to -stay- in Mexico to begin with.

You know that won't happen as long as Bush is enabling Fox and his plans. >:(

ltdiver

Bingo.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

illegal is illegal

True.. But who made it illegal? A bunch of thieving congressman that give themselves raises while servicemembers at war have their families on food stamps.. ?? MY ASS!

illegal my ass... Immigration should not be illegal. That isn't what this country was founded on.. NOTHING is wrong with a Mexican wanting a better life, coming to the US to feed his family, taking a job that fat ass, lazy, wanting something for nothing Americans wouldn't take to begin with...

Who gives a shit.. Saying they are taking our jobs is just a means of whining like a fucking crybaby and being lazy...

These people have rights to better lives even here in America. I believe that. We should help them in any way we can. MAKE IT LEGAL for the legitamate ones.. Do it in a way that allows them to keep their dignity for gods sake...

They are people.. Not trash..

Grow the fuck up people... Stop being so fucking selfish...

This wasn't directed at anyone particular..

Rhino

>True.. But who made it illegal? A bunch of thieving congressman that give themselves raises while servicemembers at war have their families on food stamps.. ?? MY ASS!

nobody ever made immigration illegal, you can still put your name on the list, stand in line and show that you meet the requirements of being a us citizen.
but congress did get out their crayolas ands draw a map showing BORDERS.

>illegal my ass... Immigration should not be illegal. That isn't what this country was founded on.. NOTHING is wrong with a Mexican wanting a better life, coming to the US to feed his family, taking a job that fat ass, lazy, wanting something for nothing Americans wouldn't take to begin with...

NOTHING is wrong with a Mexican wanting a better life. the problem is, that mexican is a MEXICAN....NOT A US CITIZEN! to become a legal citizen he must take a test or two, sign a book, be able to somewhat speak the language, get a health check....silly things like that. BUT that would be the legal thing to do....not sneaking thru the desert and breaking the LAW

>Who gives a shit.. Saying they are taking our jobs is just a means of whining like a fucking crybaby and being lazy...

as an AMERICAN....you should give a shit that after we were attacked on 9-11, you can still walk across the border with a nuke and nobody would know. as stated during the debates.....7000 a day cross illegally into our country......they aint all mexicans

>These people have rights to better lives even here in America. I believe that. We should help them in any way we can. MAKE IT LEGAL for the legitamate ones.. Do it in a way that allows them to keep their dignity for gods sake...

ummm.....NO RIGHTS, the constitution was written for legal citizens. its illegal under federal law to assist any illegal in any way
it is legal for the legitamate ones......its called PORT OF ENTRY, and signing the book
silly things like that...

>They are people.. Not trash..

they are mexicans.....not americans, and breaking the law isnt a good start

>Stop being so fucking selfish...

i dont see you cashing in jump tickets to feed the poor illegal mexicans...no wait....that would be illegal....

>This wasn't directed at anyone particular

and this tread isnt directed at mexicans ....its about protecting our borders against illegal's who dont have our best interest at heart.

its about americans protecting america because the government wont

we are still allowed to do that under the constitution

got to go....

dang mexicans are wackin in my shed again.....

g

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43664

Minutemen catch 141 illegals so far
New Mexico official hopes to expand citizen volunteer project to 2nd state

Posted: April 6, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

In its second day of operations, the civilian volunteer Minuteman Project claimed to have aided the Border Patrol in the apprehension of 141 illegal aliens along the Arizona border and deterred many more from attempting to cross from Mexico.

With the project gaining favorable attention, a city official from New Mexico announced he would like to expand the project to his state.

"It has been successful," said Chris Simcox of Civil Homeland Defense, a group aiding the Minuteman Project. "No one has come across."

While President Bush and other officials have characterized the Minutemen as "vigilantes" and Mexico's President Vicente Fox has threatened them with prosecution, the group is getting more favorable attention from some media outlets and radio talk-show hosts impressed with their composure, discipline and orderliness.

Meanwhile, Santa Fe City Councilman David Pfeffer said he wants to bring the Minuteman Project to New Mexico. Pfeffer said he wants to be personally involved in the volunteer effort to patrol the border for illegal immigrants and smugglers.

"I would be willing to get involved with an effort along New Mexico's borders," Pfeffer said.

Pfeffer said he attended a gathering Friday of Minuteman volunteers in Tombstone and that the meeting helped persuade him to support the effort.

"What I understood from their message ... was that we have a serious problem at the border," Pfeffer said.

Pfeffer said he would "absolutely" be willing to get involved with a New Mexico citizen border-patrol project.

As for carrying a weapon, Pfeffer said he "wouldn't go out there unarmed."

"There is a Mexican drug cartel that has threatened peoples' lives because of this," Pfeffer said. "The smugglers that come across the borders will shoot at you. So no, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some people have armed themselves."

Pfeffer said some residents of Santa Fe, New Mexico, were also present in Tombstone for the purpose of learning from the experience to expand the effort to their state.

Meanwhile, in Tombstone, Simcox said the effort has exceeded his expectations so far.

"I'm just ecstatic with how successful it's been," Simcox said.

Hundreds of the citizen volunteers, armed with binoculars and radios, are casting themselves as the eyes and ears of the Border Patrol, whose top officials have also denounced the action, though rank-and-file agents have been spotted thanking the Minutemen for their presence.

"We want to continue through the summer until the government caves," Simcox said. "Our president and Congress have continued to ignore this issue, the most serious threat to national security is this border."

The Minutemen, named after U.S. War of Independence militia group in New England, is made up of civilians from across the United States, many of them retired servicemen or law enforcement personnel.

The Minutemen are guarding a 23-mile stretch of the border where one out of every five of the 1.1 million illegal immigrants arrested last year crossed into the U.S., according to Border Patrol statistics.

The volunteers report illegal crossers to the Border Patrol rather than confront or detain illegal aliens themselves.

"Our aim is to send a message to Mr. Bush and Congress that they have not listened to the demands of citizens," said Simcox. "We are modeling what homeland security should look like. There should be National Guardsmen every 2,000 yards from the Pacific to the Gulf of Mexico. You can't find a greater threat to the U.S. than right here."

So far, more than a thousand Americans have descended on a remote stretch of the U.S.-Mexican border to join the Minuteman Project.

The Minuteman Project is having an impact. Smugglers have told the Mexican press that crossing in the area where the Minutemen are patrolling is now virtually impossible and they have to go elsewhere or wait 30 days until the Minutemen are gone.

But Simcox is hoping more volunteers will join the effort and sustain it through the summer.

About 66,000 illegal immigrants were caught last month in one area where the Minutemen are now patrolling. Border Patrol officials admit many more evade capture.

Besides deterring illegal immigration and helping capture some aliens, the Minutemen believe their action is raising awareness of the border problem and may force Congress and Bush to rethink the guest worker plan many of his core supporters oppose.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, leader of the House Immigration Reform Caucus, and a supporter of the Minuteman Project says the Department of Homeland Security's decision to send 500 more Porder Patrol agents to the troubled area last week is no coincidence.

But he points out those agents were transferred from other parts of the porous Mexican border.

"If we secure the Arizona border, then we will see a massive shift ... to New Mexico border," he says. "And then if we secure the New Mexico border, we'll see a massive shift to the Texas border. So it goes until you actually seal the border."

Tancredo says a security fence, like that built by the Israelis and many other countries, is a "perfectly acceptable, low-tech method of trying to stop people from coming into your country without your knowledge." Tancredo says even though Congress has passed legislation authorizing 2,000 more agents per year for the next five years, the Bush administration does not want to hire them.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Just my opinion...but I don't think any of these militia style border volunteers are doing any of this to prevent the smuggling of terrorists into our country. I believe that they are a bunch of angry/disgruntled people who hide there bigotry under the banner of patriotism...some just can't stand the thought of a Mexican crossing the border to get work.

The flow of migrant workers is a product of labor demand...we look to blame Mexico and the Mexican migrants for coming north across the border when we should be looking inward at our own market forces as the cause. As long as US employers are willing to hire workers illegally, then we will have migration from Mexico. Seems to me, the "problem" has been created by demand for cheap labor from our own US based employers.

I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers, and border security surely is important...but here are a few things to think about:

1. Who is coming here to work, and who is coming to "attack".
2. Who is more wrong...the migrant worker who crosses or the person who employs them?
3. Does securing the border from terrorists also secure it from migrant workers?
4. Is our Southern Border more vulnerable to terrorists than our Northern Border (or even the coasts for that matter)?

I believe the last round of terrorists that entered were here on Visas...they didn't just "slip" across the border undetected.

I believe that they are a bunch of angry/disgruntled people who hide there bigotry under the banner of patriotism...some just can't stand the thought of a Mexican crossing the border to get work.

Curious about why you have this opinion. Do you know any of these people? Do you have any information about their backgrounds? Have you investigated to see if any of them have ties to racist organizations? In your opinion, have any of them ever demonstrated any bigotry? What evidence do you have they are angry? Do you believe all of them are angry racists or do you believe just some of them are? Why do you think they would be angry and hate Mexicans?

Curious about why you have this opinion. Do you know any of these people? Do you have any information about their backgrounds? Have you investigated to see if any of them have ties to racist organizations? In your opinion, have any of them ever demonstrated any bigotry? What evidence do you have they are angry? Do you believe all of them are angry racists or do you believe just some of them are? Why do you think they would be angry and hate Mexicans?

You know, your right...I shouldn't cast judgement across the whole group...but my opinions come from the impressions I have living in Arizona. The people I talk to that support this action tend to only talk about the problems the "Mexicans" are causing. The interviews that have been aired by Minuteman Project members in Arizona are with people who ONLY talk about what the Mexicans are doing to our country. I've not heard any substantial discussion on protecting our border from terrorists.

This leads me to believe, that many people who are part of this project are there to stop the "Mexican" problem...which I don't personally see as a problem.

Here's a link to one random article that I pulled here in Arizona:

http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?S=3183042&nav=DIH7YQL2

Should illegals be allowed to enter the country, yes or no?

Has there been/ is there continuing work to prevent visas for terrorists, yes or no?
witty subliminal message
1*

You know, your right...I shouldn't cast judgement across the whole group...but my opinions come from the impressions I have living in Arizona. The people I talk to that support this action tend to only talk about the problems the "Mexicans" are causing.

Statistically speaking, that's probably who they'll be coming across.

The interviews that have been aired by Minuteman Project members in Arizona are with people who ONLY talk about what the Mexicans are doing to our country. I've not heard any substantial discussion on protecting our border from terrorists.

I don't recall them saying that's what they were there to prevent.

This leads me to believe, that many people who are part of this project are there to stop the "Mexican" problem...which I don't personally see as a problem.

You don't. The people that deal with it on a daily basis do see it as a problem.

From the article:

Marc says, "One of them just ran up the wash and there's possibly four more." Across the highway, more Minutemen show up with video cameras, eager to catch a real apprehension on tape. After 10 minutes, Border Patrol agents arrive and take five illegal immigrants into custody. The Minutemen here follow their instructions - keeping their distance - and observing, as the agents do their jobs. It's a relief for my producer and myself, given the fact - everyone in our group - except us - is armed with handguns.

I don't understand why you have a problem with what they're doing.

I don't understand why you have a problem with what they're doing.

But as the sun goes down, problems keeping control of a group as big as the Minutemen begin to surface. Marc says, "There was a standoff and people got killed." The man from Tucson is asked to leave our group - because he keeps talking to reporters. John says, "People like that, they'll drag down, they'll drag down the whole thing." And as the night goes on, a drama unfolds across the highway. Some of the volunteers are carrying shotguns, which is against the rules and our group leader admits: Minuteman organizers are having trouble deciding what to do about it. Adahm/John says, "(What's up with the shotgun guys? How are you going to deal with those two?) I have no idea.. that's out of my.. I don't even want to go up there." Adahm/John says

This above part of the article does give me pause...

I've lived in Arizona, I've lived in Southern California, My family has a farm in San Diego, and I spent 5 years in the Central Valley near Stockton and Lodi, CA...I've never had a problem with migrant workers who are here illegally. It's not that I don't have to deal with them, it's just that I don't have a problem with them being here. I think they serve an economic purpose and there are benefits for both the illegal immigrant and the US employer, and that the whole reason for a migrant worker or illegal mexican immigrant to be here is driven by economic forces not by a sinister plot to bring our country down.

It seems we are putting all this energy into worrying about the loss of jobs to migrant workers, who are for the most part picking lettuce and working as farm labor...or in some cases going to work cleanup on the kill floors of the big meat packers in Iowa (IBP)...while we sit by and watch call center and technology jobs readily shipped offshore to India, Romania, etc.

>I believe that they are a bunch of angry/disgruntled people who hide
>there bigotry under the banner of patriotism...

Some may be. But there's nothing racist about helping enforce laws - if that's why you are doing it. And I believe that's why most are.

>some just can't stand the thought of a Mexican crossing the border to
>get work.

I would imagine you would be annoyed by people who commit crimes that put you out of work, too.

>As long as US employers are willing to hire workers illegally, then we will
>have migration from Mexico. Seems to me, the "problem" has been
>created by demand for cheap labor from our own US based employers.

Partially true. However, the problem of people robbing banks is not _caused_ by stores requiring money for purchases. Sure, people wouldn't rob banks if no one used money, but that's ignoring the real problem, which is that people are robbing banks.

The bottom line is that people who break the law are criminals, and should be stopped. If you want to change the law, perhaps add a way for them to cross the border legally to work, then return home after they are done, then great. I'd be all for it. But until then, the problem isn't that they are working, or that they are mexican - the problem is that they are criminals.

I would imagine you would be annoyed by people who commit crimes that put you out of work, too.

Actually, I'd be more annoyed that I was picking lettuce as a career choice.B|

The bottom line is that people who break the law are criminals, and should be stopped. If you want to change the law, perhaps add a way for them to cross the border legally to work, then return home after they are done, then great. I'd be all for it.

AMEN...I definitely feel there is need for an easier work permit process. I definitely think a big part of the problem resides around the immigration process to get approval to enter to work. I think the difficulty in attaining approval is the biggest deterrent for a worker to return to Mexico during the off growing seasons.

Again, I don't pretend to have all the answers...but I'm with you on the above point on changing the laws to develop a legitimate immigrant work program that works for the Mexican/Central American/South American migrant workers...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43859

INVASION USA
Border Patrol union supports Minutemen
Says it has had no complaints about monitors, blasts Bush over amnesty
Posted: April 18, 2005
5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

The largest local union of Border Patrol agents in the country has declared its support for the Minuteman Project in Arizona, while at the same time slamming both the American Civil Liberties Union and President Bush.

According to its website, the U.S. Border Patrol Local 2544, which covers the Tucson sector of the agency, the volunteers involved in the border-monitoring Minuteman Project have been nothing but supportive.

"We want to make it clear – because we've had a lot of questions about this – we have not had one single complaint from a rank-and-file agent in this sector about the Minutemen," says a statement on the site. "Every report we've received indicates these people are very supportive of the rank-and-file agents; they're courteous. Many of them are retired firefighters, cops, and other professionals, and they're not causing us any problems whatsoever."

The group blames the ACLU for setting off ground sensors in the area of the Minutemen activities:

"Reports of [Minutemen] causing 'ground sensors' to go off are exaggerated because most of those are being set off by the ACLU sneaking around trying to find the Minutemen doing something wrong."

As WorldNetDaily reported, the ACLU has sent representatives to the 23-mile Arizona border area to monitor the Minutemen and report any civil-liberties abuses to authorities. Instead, said Minuteman Project spokesman Grey Deacon, the law group's people are flashing lights, sounding horns and warning off illegals and their "coyote" human smugglers from entering territory patrolled by the volunteers. Deacon claims such activity amounts to aiding and abetting illegal aliens.

The Minuteman Project has attracted hundreds of volunteers, many legally carrying guns and waving flags, from across the country. They plan to keep watch around the clock until the end of the month, intimidating illegal aliens with their presence and alerting the Border Patrol via cell phones or radios when they see people crossing.

The Border Patrol local emphasizes the Minuteman Project is "shifting the bulk of the illegal-alien traffic out of the Naco corridor."

The statement then takes the president to task for his immigration proposal.

"If only President Bush were so supportive of the rank-and-file agents," the site states. "While President Bush hangs out thousands of miles away in the White House, these people are willing to give up their time and energy to actually do something. While President Bush entices millions of illegal aliens to keep coming with his amnesty proposals and his demoralizing statements that he doesn't want Border Patrol agents chasing 'good-hearted people just coming here to take jobs Americans won't do,' the Minutemen are trying to get our laws enforced.

"The Minutemen have made it very clear that they fully support rank-and-file Border Patrol agents. If only we had such support from the politicians we have to work for (aren't we really supposed to be working for the citizens of this country anyway?)"

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43859

INVASION USA
Border Patrol union supports Minutemen
Says it has had no complaints about monitors, blasts Bush over amnesty
Posted: April 18, 2005
5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

The largest local union of Border Patrol agents in the country has declared its support for the Minuteman Project in Arizona, while at the same time slamming both the American Civil Liberties Union and President Bush.

According to its website, the U.S. Border Patrol Local 2544, which covers the Tucson sector of the agency, the volunteers involved in the border-monitoring Minuteman Project have been nothing but supportive.

"We want to make it clear – because we've had a lot of questions about this – we have not had one single complaint from a rank-and-file agent in this sector about the Minutemen," says a statement on the site. "Every report we've received indicates these people are very supportive of the rank-and-file agents; they're courteous. Many of them are retired firefighters, cops, and other professionals, and they're not causing us any problems whatsoever."

The group blames the ACLU for setting off ground sensors in the area of the Minutemen activities:

"Reports of [Minutemen] causing 'ground sensors' to go off are exaggerated because most of those are being set off by the ACLU sneaking around trying to find the Minutemen doing something wrong."

As WorldNetDaily reported, the ACLU has sent representatives to the 23-mile Arizona border area to monitor the Minutemen and report any civil-liberties abuses to authorities. Instead, said Minuteman Project spokesman Grey Deacon, the law group's people are flashing lights, sounding horns and warning off illegals and their "coyote" human smugglers from entering territory patrolled by the volunteers. Deacon claims such activity amounts to aiding and abetting illegal aliens.

The Minuteman Project has attracted hundreds of volunteers, many legally carrying guns and waving flags, from across the country. They plan to keep watch around the clock until the end of the month, intimidating illegal aliens with their presence and alerting the Border Patrol via cell phones or radios when they see people crossing.

The Border Patrol local emphasizes the Minuteman Project is "shifting the bulk of the illegal-alien traffic out of the Naco corridor."

The statement then takes the president to task for his immigration proposal.

"If only President Bush were so supportive of the rank-and-file agents," the site states. "While President Bush hangs out thousands of miles away in the White House, these people are willing to give up their time and energy to actually do something. While President Bush entices millions of illegal aliens to keep coming with his amnesty proposals and his demoralizing statements that he doesn't want Border Patrol agents chasing 'good-hearted people just coming here to take jobs Americans won't do,' the Minutemen are trying to get our laws enforced.

"The Minutemen have made it very clear that they fully support rank-and-file Border Patrol agents. If only we had such support from the politicians we have to work for (aren't we really supposed to be working for the citizens of this country anyway?)"

-
Jim

This is just more right wing propaganda. Lies, lies, all lies I tell you. But then again... maybe these folks aren't the racist rednecks they have been made out to be by the media. Who knew?

*** "I think they serve an economic purpose"

THey do serve an economic purpose, for the employers who exploit the mostly uneducated Mexicans who continue to pour into OUR country. These rouge employers enjoy higher profits, and do not pay taxes that they would otherwise were they using legal labor. The whole system of using illegal mexican labor hurts our economy in a myriad of ways.

The bottom line is that we don't need them, they are not welcome here, and that they are IN FACT, ILLEGAL. Thank goodness there are still plenty of Americans who are willing to stand up for the USA and defend its borders. Mexico is practically a third world country, so we can see what how Mexicans manage their own country. With enough illegal Mexicans the US is only going to go one direction, DOWN.

I am going to contact the Minuteman and find out what I can do in my own community to help the INS weed out these illegals. They are breaking the law and it is incumbent on the citizens to step up when our spineless politicians fail to protect our interests. >:(