warchild69

Current places to source Class-7 Singer parts???

Hey guys, Just picked up a decent Class 7-34 Singer for a song... Going to run through and do a full restoration on it, powder-coating and plating pretty much everything... I know I'm going to need a few parts here and there...

My usual places like Henderson and Universal are not showing they carry much at all for them (I have not called them yet).... I know there are still 1,000's of these machines in use... Does anyone have any sources they would like to share?

Also, anyone have the plans for the reverse hookup? I'm a machinist by trade and can make about anything, but a tried and true print could be very useful!

Also, I've seen most ppl have done away with the bobbin cover slides and have placed a solid piece over top of where they used to be, ow does this workout with spacing the feed dogs up higher and the throat plate?... I can buy or burn out the plate/cover, just curious on how that all works out...

Blue Skies,
Kelly

Pennsew also has some parts but it's more difficult to find them based on part number. I've bought a lot of parts for my machine to find they were substandard chinese junk and not worth putting on. I troll ebay constantly because there will be liquidated new old stock from sewing repair shops that went out of business.

There are still some quality parts being produced but you can expect to pay lots of money for them. I scored a new singer shuttle for $20 while a quality one is usually $300. Yay.

-Michael

Well, at least there is good new of parts being avail and all... I'm a machinist by trade & welder, so repairs shouldn't be to bad, i hope!

This machine is pretty rusty and I will need to replace all the springs & probably the thread tension plates and a few other pieces that I can't sandblast, bake or burnish... Probably lots of screws and thumb nuts too...

I have searched for the springs via part numbers have not been able to come up with anything...

Thanks for the info guys.... I need to go pick this up on Tuesday as it's already bought and paid for... I'm sure I'll have a list together soon... This will be a winter project!

Well, I was able to get everything all free'd up and rotating again... It actually looked much worst in the photos than it actually was... I have the machine about 90% stripped down and should have the upper, lower and hand wheel all stripped/touched up and powdercoated within a couple weeks...

This is actually going much faster than expected... I have found almost no parts that actually "need" replacing... With exception of the tension springs and disc... Will probable replace most of the generic type bolts/screws... Might machine new replacements for some of the larger shoulder bolts if I can't find replacements for them....

Anyone know if all the upper moving parts was originally plated or black oxide coated or etc?.... Having a local shop do the coating and plating if needed.... Should look like new in a couple months...

I'm curious.

Could you post some before, during and after photos we can slobber over?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I know that UPT/Vector has a person whose main duty is to machine new/replacement parts for old Singers that aren't made anymore. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to share their time/labor, but it may be worth asking.

If nothing else, they might be able to point you in a different direction.