RiggerLee

Tailor Pencils?

I bought several boxes of them years ago. I'm starting to run out. I caller paragear and they told me that they no longer carry them. Dixon has stopped making them. What's the new favored brand that people are using right now which does not degrade nylon? And where are you sourcing them?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

The loft I used to work in had ONE yellow pencil that I completely loved. Brand name was "Prang" (which made me snicker - another reason I loved that pencil!). The "lead" was soft enough that I could mark on canopy fabric - even F-111 - without pulling the weave out of whack. Best pencil EVER.

There are multi-colored boxes of Prangs available all over the place. I'm not sure whether those are the same quality as my beloved yellow pencil, or whether it's possible to buy them in single color boxes.

I'm not so confident with the assertion that a specific brand of pencil is going to degrade nylon. When someone soaked their rig/reserve with scotchguard I had to do a lot of research into it including talking to the chemists at dupont and at the factory where most ZP fabric is made. It turns out that Nylon itself is chemically quite resilient and the coating they use on, F111, ZP and the R and L treated webbing is also quite chemically resistant.

If someone can direct me to a brand of pencil they feel damages Nylon then I'd be happy to test some samples, but for the most part, pencils contain similar ingredients. Chemicals that would damage nylon (acids for example) would also cause undesirable effects on paper and other mediums so it is not likely you're going to find them.

-Michael