mathrick

What kind of slider (?) is this

https://youtu.be/DMk0jzfc3Bs?t=2m8s

I've been watching the 1988 Olympics opening demo, and noticed that while everyone else had non-collapsible sliders, the camera flyer has an unusual arrangement with what looks like slider separated in two when under canopy. Am I interpreting it correctly? Does anyone have better pictures of that system, both prior to and after deployment?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Hi mathrick,

slider separated in two

Commonly known as a split slider. I used one for a number of years.

They have a lanyard that you pull to split the slider after it comes down; sort of hard to reach the lanyard until it comes down. :P

No photo, but you can buy them here: http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000166/P826S/

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks. I imagine they're held together with a lolon cable routed through a series of loops on alternating sides of the split, much like RDS sliders are anchored to their rings or wingsuit wings are rigged for cutaway (for those that have cutaway wings)?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

Thanks. I imagine they're held together with a lolon cable routed through a series of loops on alternating sides of the split, much like RDS sliders are anchored to their rings or wingsuit wings are rigged for cutaway.

No, actually the original designs use medium to large diameter line with bights in it, to push into (very small and tight) loops that pass through #0 grommets on one half of the slider.

Grab the line and yank it, instant split slider.

If you ask enough skydivers here, I bet you will find someone who has their canopy unpacked and can take a picture for you. (Mine is packed.)

peek

No, actually the original designs use medium to large diameter line with bights in it, to push into (very small and tight) loops that pass through #0 grommets on one half of the slider.

Loops as in elastic ones (bungee or similar)?

Do you still use that arrangement, or have people moved to cables + interleaved loops? It seems to me the latter would be nicer to pack, but I might be mistaken.

mathrick

Loops as in elastic ones (bungee or similar)?

Do you still use that arrangement, or have people moved to cables + interleaved loops? It seems to me the latter would be nicer to pack, but I might be mistaken.

No, just Dacron line loops. They are very tight where it takes some effort to get the bights through them.

I only made one for myself, and I copied an older style like accuracy jumpers used.

Split sliders were fashionable with precision landing competitors. Splitting the slider allowed lines to separate wider, improving lateral stability.
That was before we had connector links small enough to allow jumpers to pull the slider all the way down to neck level.
I have fabricated a bunch of split sliders, but now find it easier to install small soft links on narrow (Type 17 webbing) risers and pull the slider down to neck level. Slider catchers sewn to the risers help keep the slider down at neck level.

Returning to the OP's question: I suspect that Tom Sanders split his slider to make more room for his huge camera helmet.