alana

Canada approves of killing baby seals

The thing about baby seals are that they're cute. It's easy for a human to see "human" emotions in them. Little soft furry things, quite defenceless.

Of course, rat kids are little soft furry things too. Except most don'tthink they're cute.

Pretty sad that an animals inherent worth is proportional to how cute or human it is.

Probably just as cute as that chimpanzee that recently ripped that guy's testicles off and bit off his nose. I'm sure he was real cute. :D Those are wild animals.

It would be a crime to drive either species to extinction through harvesting, sport killing, poisoning etc. But as long as care is taken so that doesn't happen, it's no more evil or horrible than 'slaughtering' any other mammal, from rats to deer to cows.
=====================================

I disagree with this. I have seen documentaries of how seals are killed and I find it extremely inhumane. I can not understand for the lights of me how they could find that many a$$h0le$ willing to do this and I am not even talking about the ones that get skinned alive.
But now to address what I specifically disagree with that you wrote here, I will cite as an example gorillas. They are about to go extinct. I have heard about these worthless people that I would not feel at all bad executing them myself cutting off the gorillas hands and leaveing them to die. Some people will say, "look and because of this the gorillas may become exinct." I however, prefer that they go extinct rather than go through this kind of torture.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Hey Alana; Canada and the USA have approved the killing of millions of baby humans every year.

Stop that, and don't worry about a few animals.

Bill Cole

seperate issues...do I agree with the other one?...again, seperate issues

>I have seen documentaries of how seals are killed and I find it extremely
> inhumane.

Agreed. But it is no more inhumane than how chickens are raised and slaughtered, or how rats are poisoned and killed. If you are willing to trap a rat in a rat trap and have it slowly die over the course of several days, I don't see it as any more or less humane to club a seal to death. And we're a lot closer to rats, evolutionarily, than we are to seals.

>I have heard about these worthless people that I would not feel at all bad
> executing them myself cutting off the gorillas hands and leaveing them
> to die.

That's also inhumane. But again, it's not more inhumane than what we do to many other animals. It bothers us a lot more because we feel more of a kinship to gorillas, and that's certainly a valid argument as to why it _feels_ different.

I agree with you that we treat a lot of animals inhumanely. But it's somewhat hypocritical of us to go on about the poor seals while we order another bucket of Chicken McNuggets and pick up a bunch of rat traps at Home Depot.

I agree with you that we treat a lot of animals inhumanely. But it's somewhat hypocritical of us to go on about the poor seals while we order another bucket of Chicken McNuggets and pick up a bunch of rat traps at Home Depot.

So true. If you look into what actually happens in slaughter houses for example, it's not always as humane as we would like it to be, many animals are still alive as they are strung up and sliced open.

But hey, I can't take the moral highground this because i'm a meat eater.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I think that one has to be careful when forming opinions based on documentaries. These films are often produced by groups that have an agenda that they want to promote. Per a previous posting, even Greenpeace has admitted that they produced their piece primarily to raise funds to support their other efforts and that the sealing situation is really isn't that bad.

Its been said here that very young animals are targeted. I suggest that those that believe this review Greenpeace's article that says the animals being hunted are 2 years and up and that they are not the cute little white coated creatures that are pictured in the ads against the hunt. http://www.greenpeace.org/international_en/news/details?item_id=455020

For a different take on the situation, from a group that has their own agenda, here is what the Canadian government says regarding the 2004-2005 sealing season. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/facts-faits/facts-faits2004_e.htm
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I have seen documentaries of how seals are killed and I find it extremely inhumane.

So if the harvest was done humanely, then you wouldn't have a problem with it?

If it was done humanely I would have far less of a problem with it. I am no vegetarian lefty. If somebody comes breaking into my house I won't think twice about laying him to rest with my 45. If I am in the woods and a bear comes charging at me I will do the same. But the senseless in humane slaughter of anything is something I can not understand. How anybody can gladly participate in it, is beyond my comprehension.

Agreed. But it is no more inhumane than how chickens are raised and slaughtered, or how rats are poisoned and killed. If you are willing to trap a rat in a rat trap and have it slowly die over the course of several days, I don't see it as any more or less humane to club a seal to death. And we're a lot closer to rats, evolutionarily, than we are to seals.
==================================
First, I don't believe that a rat trap is more inhumane than being clubbed to death. Think about it. One whack or 25. In anycase the point is one whack come from a trap that was set. The 25 is coming from the a$$hole that is swinging the club. How he could look at this poor defenseless animal and carelessly continue to whack with the club is what I don't understand. Next is what threat does the seal pose as compared to the rat. The rat spreads diseases, leaves droppings all over the place. Imagine your house full of rats as it would be if you did nothing. Could you live like that? Now you see with the rats its either them or you. Its quite a different story.
The way chickens are killed means nothing. Their neck is chopped off with an ax. Its almost an instant death. To compare that to being clubbed to death suggests you may not have thought this through.
------------------------------------------------------------

That's also inhumane. But again, it's not more inhumane than what we do to many other animals. It bothers us a lot more because we feel more of a kinship to gorillas, and that's certainly a valid argument as to why it _feels_ different.
====================================

I am not sure what you mean by we certainly not me. I for one boycott veal because of the way its killed. I oppose any redundant animal testing for sure and would probably be opposed to alot of animal testing to begin with. Maybe its just who I am. I remember in high school, we once disected frogs. I remember there were atleast 15 frogs killed for the class project alone. I did not believe at that point that the knowledge that was being gained their was worth the killing of all these frogs. I know for sure now that more than 95% of my classmates there retained absolutely no knowledge from that day whatsoever. But while most of them continued to joke around with the dead frogs the only thing that kept going through my mind is what a$$hole$ they were. I guess humans are generally not good people. I know from my parents the went to med school that medical students often joke around with dead babies that they disect. Hell abortion is legal. What more can I say.

>First, I don't believe that a rat trap is more inhumane than being clubbed to death.

Would you rather be hit over the head until you're dead, or have your pelvis crushed by a boulder, and then left there until you starved to death? Most rat traps break a rat's spine and then hold him there until he dies of starvation or suffocation.

>Next is what threat does the seal pose as compared to the rat.

Beaches are closed down here due to seals. Their scat spreads disease.

>Imagine your house full of rats as it would be if you did nothing.
> Could you live like that?

Heck yeah! We had four rats in our house for years. They were great. Rats are very clean animals; their fleas are what spread disease.

>The way chickens are killed means nothing. Their neck is chopped
> off with an ax. Its almost an instant death.

Uh, no. They are suspended upside down, shocked to stun them, and then they are allowd to bleed to death (in most slaughterhouses at least.) And this is done by the tens of millions.

>I am not sure what you mean by we certainly not me. I for one
> boycott veal because of the way its killed.

If that's the case, I'm fairly sure you would boycott other types of meat if you knew how they were killed.

>I guess humans are generally not good people. I know from my
> parents the went to med school that medical students often joke
> around with dead babies that they disect.

I've had fun with the dissections I've done, on animals from rats to humans. It's human nature; there's a reason for the term 'gallows humor.' The important part (in the case of human cadavers) is to show respect for both the body and the person's last wishes (which, in this case, was that their body be donated to science.)

the senseless in humane slaughter of anything is something I can not understand. How anybody can gladly participate in it, is beyond my comprehension.

The slaughter wouldn't occur if there wasn't a market for the products, and since it is government-controlled to protect the species, I'm not so sure that it is senseless. It may just appear to be that way to those who don't have all the facts.

First, I don't believe that a rat trap is more inhumane than being clubbed to death. Think about it. One whack or 25. In anycase the point is one whack come from a trap that was set. The 25 is coming from the a$$hole that is swinging the club.

Sorry I gotta call b*** s**t Again!
25 whacks? It does not happen that way. The aim is one solid hit there by not damaging the pelt or a single shot from an approved weapon.
Read up on the facts instead of spouting emotional and incorrect dribble.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

here is what the Canadian government says regarding the 2004-2005 sealing season. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/facts-faits/facts-faits2004_e.htm

Wow, facts! What a refreshing concept. Thanks for posting that, to counteract the emotional and biased message which started this thread.

]

My initial post was fact based. Is this happening or not? Yes it is. Anything this traumatizing to any living creature is going to have some emotion evoked within; Whether you agree with it or not. A person wrote the article, which will portray some kind of personal feeling to it. It's human nature. Your posts are highly emotion based. Killing unborn children raises emotion as well as the killing of innocent human beings around the world. Is it happening? yes. My initiation of this topic was to express my dislike of the situation and to raise awareness. We all have our own reasons for believing if it is right or wrong.

And as for the "facts" just reported.....I tend to be hesitant in believing all the "facts" government prints. I would assume by your response, you're a die hard believer in the government and their representation of the facts.

To reply to your last statement: In my opinion this is senseless killing. You're right, if there wasn't a demand for fur coats they wouldn't be killing these creatures. Is it senseless in my book, regardless of how other things are being killed in this world? YES. Again, if you don't live in some arctic area of the world there is no need for such a LUXURY item. TO kill something for necessity (like food) is one thing, to kill inhumanely based on your own personal greed for something that you don't really need is another. Again, just my opinion.

You're right, if there wasn't a demand for fur coats they wouldn't be killing these creatures.

Not necessarily. I think it's already been mentioned, but these creatures, left unchecked, could ruin the fishing industry as well. Also, pay attention to Bill's post about the spreading of disease and the closed beaches. I have a feeling that the killing would continue regardless of our demand for fur coats.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

First, I don't believe that a rat trap is more inhumane than being clubbed to death. Think about it. One whack or 25. In anycase the point is one whack come from a trap that was set. The 25 is coming from the a$$hole that is swinging the club.

Sorry I gotta call b*** s**t Again!
25 whacks? It does not happen that way. The aim is one solid hit there by not damaging the pelt or a single shot from an approved weapon.
Read up on the facts instead of spouting emotional and incorrect dribble.

Rather than reading propanda one way or the other, rent the movie/Documentary "Faces of Death" and watch it being done.

LOL, if you call that a documentary, then anything Moore does is equivalent to gospel.

say what you like about the bear or the aligator footage, where the camera was swinging all over the place. But I doubt that the guys with the clubs we actors hitting mechanical seals. That part was clearly real footage.

say what you like about the bear or the aligator footage, where the camera was swinging all over the place. But I doubt that the guys with the clubs we actors hitting mechanical seals. That part was clearly real footage.

And I am sure Moore used some real footage as well.

You are refering to a video series that only has one purpose, to shock people. Do you really think it paints a true picture of the seal hunt?

And I am sure Moore used some real footage as well.

You are refering to a video series that only has one purpose, to shock people. Do you really think it paints a true picture of the seal hunt?

All I know is I clearly saw it being done. Not to one seal but to an entire flock and not by one man but by a group of more than 10. It was not something out of the ordinary, its the way its done. And I can't understand how somebody can be so heartless (such and a$$hole!) to swing that club over and over again until that seal is dead. And I don't believe for one second that these seals are posing any threat to humanity as they are in the own habitat, unlike some rat that creaps into your house by a crevice. Instead they are being tortured to death because of the dollar value that their skin brings in the open market. It be interesing to see if there was so much concern for disease being spread by these creatures, if they carefully disposed of the naked carcases they leave behind after they skin them. No, taking care of that would not fill anybody's pockets.