alana

Canada approves of killing baby seals

>You can't tell me that if someone hurt someone or something you love
>care about that you wouldn't imagine making them feel the pain they
> caused so that they understand what they did?.....that's all I was saying.

I guess I see a difference between people and animals. Americans torture and kill millions of animals a year, from mice to buffalos, for everything from makeup testing to meat. A seal is (sometimes) cuter than a cow but I don't think they have any more 'right to exist' or 'right to a merciful death' than a cow does - and we think nothing of torturing and killing them.

>The seals play with fish for food purposes . . .

Actually they eat fish for food purposes, and play with them for fun.

There's an equilibrium in nature. It would be interesting to see that maybe we, humans, altered this balance by killing off the natural predators of the white tail deer. In most cases when natures out of whack humans have played a roll.

That is often true, and it is also true that humans can play a role in restoring that equilibrium through hunting. Thus, hunting is not automatically "cruel" and "senseless". It serves a purpose in nature.

hhh, well it's nice to know that you have a heart of gold for seals, and the heart of a torturer and mass murderer for the people with whom you disagree.

Thanks for revealing your true nature. It's not a pretty picture...

It's always amusing to see how people who profess to care so much for some helpless creature, would be so willing to commit the same atrocities against human beings. What hypocrisy!

Again, as I commented earlier, I have a heart of gold for humans AND animals. I think it would be interesting for these guys to feel the pain of the seals they are killing. I ALWAYS put myself in the other persons shoes before I do something, think about how they might feel and if it's negative and I wouldn't want that act commited toward me, I don't do it.

Again, relax, take a big breath and treat people like you would want to be treated. Calling someone a mass murder isn't always the best way to have a converstaion.

What would you do to the seal hunters? Club them to death, then skin them, and throw their bodies in a pile?

As for the seal hunters......yeah probably. Deal with them in the same manner thay have dealt with seals. Maybe tie their hands behind their backs, take away their means of defense and see how they defend themselves then. All they'd be able to do is raise their heads to look up just like the seals they kill. I'd like to let them feel the anguish they inflict on these beautiful and defenseless creatures.

Ahhh, well it's nice to know that you have a heart of gold for seals, and the heart of a torturer and mass murderer for the people with whom you disagree.

Thanks for revealing your true nature. It's not a pretty picture...

You ever spent a minute on reading your own posts BEFORE pushing the post button?

Wow man, I think this is only possible in the land of the free..B|>:(

Holy Moses. That's what I call well educated.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I haven't had time to read your article.

Then why did you reply; "I would honestly need to know ALL the facts before I responded"? That implies that you did read the article, and thought it didn't present all the facts. If you didn't read it, why didn't you just ignore the question, instead of responding as if you had read it? Were you trying to mislead people?

(reply to billvon) if I were to ACTUALLY commit that horrible act, then yes, I would expect if someone did it to me that it would be right. But I'm not tha kind of human being. I act towards others the way I want to be treated..so in reality I would never actually to that to them.

And once again, you spoke something which you now retract, and claim you wouldn't really do. How are we supposed to believe anything you say when you keep making these knee-jerk responses, and then change your mind a few seconds later? You're letting your emotions overrule your objectiveness.

You're acting like John Kerry, who voted in favor of something, before he voted against it.

These things are destroying your intellectual credibility here...

You ever spent a minute on reading your own posts BEFORE pushing the post button? Holy Moses. That's what I call well educated.

I challenge you to find any post I've ever made in which I've said I would take a large group of people, tie their hands behind their backs, and execute them, simply because I disagree with them on some political or social issue.

If you can't do it, your charge is hollow. I won't hold my breath waiting for it, because you can't.

If you're implying that I'm not well-educated, you are wrong on that score too. I've probably got more education than you. But that's irrelevant anyway, so I don't know why you even brought it up.

What counts are facts and logic, not education. You've presented neither.

P.S. Have you stopped to consider your position in defending alana and her idea to torture seal hunters, in conjunction with the fact that you are also a hunter?

>You can't tell me that if someone hurt someone or something you love
>care about that you wouldn't imagine making them feel the pain they
> caused so that they understand what they did?.....that's all I was saying.

I guess I see a difference between people and animals. Americans torture and kill millions of animals a year, from mice to buffalos, for everything from makeup testing to meat. A seal is (sometimes) cuter than a cow but I don't think they have any more 'right to exist' or 'right to a merciful death' than a cow does - and we think nothing of torturing and killing them.

It's funny, I am actaully one of the people who DOES think about how a cow is killed, that is why I don't eat them (as well as thinking that they are very cute creatures..I know I'm weird like that about animals). We have tons of them around my home dz and I always think about them and how sad it is that they will be someone's dinner very soon.

>The seals play with fish for food purposes . . .

Actually they eat fish for food purposes, and play with them for fun.

Agreed

relax, take a big breath and treat people like you would want to be treated. Calling someone a mass murder isn't always the best way to have a converstaion.

I didn't call you a mass murderer. I said you appeared to the have the heart of a mass murderer. And that was based upon this statement from you:
"As for the seal hunters......yeah probably. Deal with them in the same manner thay have dealt with seals. Maybe tie their hands behind their backs, take away their means of defense and see how they defend themselves then. All they'd be able to do is raise their heads to look up just like the seals they kill. I'd like to let them feel the anguish they inflict on these beautiful and defenseless creatures."
So, you have to admit you kind of went overboard with your response there, and my comment was valid based upon your response. I acknowledge that you have since retracted this as your true desire. Perhaps you should think a bit more carefully before posting such inflammatory comments. When you do so, you deserve what you get.

I haven't had time to read your article.

Then why did you reply; "I would honestly need to know ALL the facts before I responded"? That implies that you did read the article, and thought it didn't present all the facts. If you didn't read it, why didn't you just ignore the question, instead of responding as if you had read it? Were you trying to mislead people?

I responded to respect your question and to let you know that I haven't read the article and that I would need to know all the facts before I did respond.. Would you rather me comment and not have done any research?

RELAX! THINK BEFORE YOU COMMENT. You always assume you know what a person is thinking and why they said something. If you are hear to be an instigator, there is no need for someone like you (my opinion. You don't command respect and your assumptions aren't waranted. I enjoy hearing other people's comments and beliefs bacause there aare so many idfferent ones in this world, but your actions and word are only hateful and overly critical.

(reply to billvon) if I were to ACTUALLY commit that horrible act, then yes, I would expect if someone did it to me that it would be right. But I'm not tha kind of human being. I act towards others the way I want to be treated..so in reality I would never actually to that to them.

And once again, you spoke something which you now retract, and claim you wouldn't really do. How are we supposed to believe anything you say when you keep making these knee-jerk responses, and then change your mind a few seconds later? You're letting your emotions overrule your objectiveness.

These things are destroying your intellectual credibility here...

Let people say what they want ot say. I'm not retracting anything, I'm merely explaining what I wrote. No one else seems to be condeming me for explaining myself. Why do you always want to make everyone seem like they're wrong? Wouldn't it feel better to actually agree with something someone says?...try it.

Actaully, I have no more words for you.....I'm done with you....too much energy wasted.

-------------------------------------------------------------
I challenge you to find any post I've ever made in which I've said I would take a large group of people, tie their hands behind their backs, and execute them, simply because I disagree with them on some political or social issue.

If you can't do it, your charge is hollow. I won't hold my breath waiting for it, because you can't.

If you're implying that I'm not well-educated, you are wrong on that score too. I've probably got more education than you. But that's irrelevant anyway, so I don't know why you even brought it up.

What counts are facts and logic, not education. You've presented neither.
--------------------------------------------------------------

You need to just zip it Mr. know it all! Who do you think you are? You need to unplug from dz.com and keep your agressive comments to yourself. Is it your mission to have the last word or do you get a kick out of being crude?

--------------------------------------------------
"Well, it's a big pretty white plane with a red stripe, curtains at the windows, wheels, and it just looks like a big Tylenol!"

You ever spent a minute on reading your own posts BEFORE pushing the post button? Holy Moses. That's what I call well educated.

That's not what that person is talking about.....

That is often true, and it is also true that humans can play a role in restoring that equilibrium through hunting. Thus, hunting is not automatically "cruel" and "senseless". It serves a purpose in nature.

Agreed. But if the main purpose of the hunt is to deplete the predator stock in order for humans to thrive on the prey for commercial purpose then thats BS. These fishermen knew what they are getting into, sorry but no sympathy for them. Look at Alaskan king crab fishermen, they make a shitload of cash, but chances are they will die while fishing.

That's exactly what's happeneing here. It's soooooooo sad. First they are clubbed and then skinned (wether that be alive or not) and then the carcasses are thrown into a pile along with the others. Sometimes you can see the chest moving as they continue to breath (not that I've seen this first hand). The flesh isn't used for food. Nothing else is used besides the fur!

I wish I had the means and the $$ to go up there and kick some ass! The things I would do to those bastards!

If that's the case, I don't support it and would condemn it strongly. I was really just stirring up crap earlier. It pisses me off to see animals suffer. Especially, when it can be prevented or minimized.

What if that is the case, but the ultimate goal is wildlife management? Could be for the overall health of the seal population or even so that other species can survive. (I don't know that that's the case, but I don't know that it isn't either.)

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

That's exactly what's happeneing here. It's soooooooo sad. First they are clubbed and then skinned (wether that be alive or not) and then the carcasses are thrown into a pile along with the others. Sometimes you can see the chest moving as they continue to breath (not that I've seen this first hand). The flesh isn't used for food. Nothing else is used besides the fur!

I wish I had the means and the $$ to go up there and kick some ass! The things I would do to those bastards!

If that's the case, I don't support it and would condemn it strongly. I was really just stirring up crap earlier. It pisses me off to see animals suffer. Especially, when it can be prevented or minimized.

What if that is the case, but the ultimate goal is wildlife management? Could be for the overall health of the seal population or even so that other species can survive. (I don't know that that's the case, but I don't know that it isn't either.)

-
Jim

Go to the sites I posted or google it and you'll find out more. It's not for those reasons.

Go to the sites I posted or google it and you'll find out more. It's not for those reasons.

Alana, the sites you've posted are clearly anti-hunt. They have an agenda and it's obvious. They're not telling the whole story. That's OK, but don't go touting them as the whole of the resources regarding the hunt, they simply are not.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You need to just zip it Mr. know it all! Who do you think you are? You need to unplug from dz.com and keep your agressive comments to yourself. Is it your mission to have the last word or do you get a kick out of being crude?

Oh I see. You defend someone who supports the person that said she wanted to torture seal hunters. And I'm a bad guy for saying that torturing seal hunters is wrong.

Got it.

If speaking out against torturing people who disagree with you on political issues is "crude", then I take that as a compliment.

But hey, your defense of alana here might have won you a few brownie points with her, so it's not all for nought.

No one else seems to be condeming me for explaining myself. Why do you always want to make everyone seem like they're wrong?

Suggesting torture of seal-hunters is wrong.

It's only been 55 minutes since you said it, and most people have already gone home from work where they peruse DZ.com. There may be more to come, or they may decide that I've done a thorough enough job of it, that they don't need to respond.

Wouldn't it feel better to actually agree with something someone says?...try it.

As soon as you say something I agree with, I'll agree with it. I'm not going to agree with something I disagree with, just for the sake of agreement.

if the main purpose of the hunt is to deplete the predator stock in order for humans to thrive on the prey for commercial purpose then thats BS.

So you approve of allowing wolves and mountain lions to take as many of a rancher's cattle as they want? Do you want to pay $10 for a hamburger? A balance can be struck, between extinction, and commercial interests. Hunting plays a role in that.

These fishermen knew what they are getting into, sorry but no sympathy for them. Look at Alaskan king crab fishermen, they make a shitload of cash, but chances are they will die while fishing.

That is their personal choice. They don't have to do it. You're not against people making their own decisions about money versus personal risk, are you?

Alana, the sites you've posted are clearly anti-hunt. They have an agenda and it's obvious. They're not telling the whole story. That's OK, but don't go touting them as the whole of the resources regarding the hunt, they simply are not.

Yes, she seems to think that because she read more than one thing, that she has "all" the facts. But when all you read is one biased side of the story, that's not all the facts, no matter how many articles you read.

Here's something from the other side of the story:
Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Quote:
"The Canadian seal hunt is a sustainable, economically viable activity based on sound conservation principles. Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), the federal department responsible for managing the seal hunt, introduced a three-year management plan in 2003.

"DFO sets quotas at levels that ensure the health and abundance of seal herds. Many factors are considered in establishing quotas.
"

Be sure to read the links that appear at the bottom of that statement:

* Technical Briefing on the Harp Seal Hunt in Atlantic Canada
* Canada’s Seal Hunt: Beyond the Rhetoric
* The Science Behind the Seal Hunt
* Atlantic Canada Seal Hunt Myths and Realities
* Understanding Seals & Sealing in Canada

Read all that, and then you have both sides of the story.

Facts and logic trump emotion.

Wow man, I think this is only possible in the land of the free..

What is that you are referring to? I thought the topic was seals. Just curious.

It's just Christel's weekly America-bashing post that goes unnoticed by the Mods, as Euros can America bash all they want.

Wow man, I think this is only possible in the land of the free..

What is that you are referring to? I thought the topic was seals. Just curious.

Good question. She seems to be implying that her own country of Germany isn't free. Or maybe that she wishes America wasn't free. Who knows?

Oh I see. You defend someone who supports the person that said she wanted to torture seal hunters. And I'm a bad guy for saying that torturing seal hunters is wrong.

Got it.

If speaking out against torturing people who disagree with you on political issues is "crude", then I take that as a compliment.

But hey, your defense of alana here might have won you a few brownie points with her, so it's not all for nought.

Your Forum Post activity is a bit high don't you think? and what where part of your interests "Shootin'"? I guess that must mean shootin' your mouth off to conquer your mission.

Again, you need to unplug.

--------------------------------------------------
"Well, it's a big pretty white plane with a red stripe, curtains at the windows, wheels, and it just looks like a big Tylenol!"

So you approve of allowing wolves and mountain lions to take as many of a rancher's cattle as they want?

What the reason that happens? Is it maybe because the ranchers drove away their main food source or took up too much graising ground of their natural prey. Does that give the ranchers the right to decimate an entire predatory stock and mess up the whole ecosystem. My family grew cattle in central america so some experience talking here and we had more problems to worry about than loosing a few head to local predators.

You're not against people making their own decisions about money versus personal risk, are you?

I did not imply that. Just said these Canadian fisherman are bitching about the seals decimating the cod population and not enough fish to make decent living. Chances are overfishing are the culprits not the seals. Now they want to thin the heard because we overfished.