Amad85

How to build my rig and understanding the difference between parachutes ?

I'm a new skydiver ( 50 jumps). I am 144 lbs, 5'6 and have been comfortable flying Saber 170 for the last 12 jumps ( wing load about 1). I am thinking about buying my own complete rig now. I would like to get a new one especially I'm not considering downsizing anytime soon ( my goal was main 170 and reserve 190). I tried websites like Chutingstar but I was face with many options as far as manufacturers of rigs, main canopy, reserve, AADs, etc. What's the difference between all of these types, which one is more cost-effective, what would you choose if you were me ?

Thank you all in advance.

There was an article posted on the main page about buying gear. It has some helpful hints. I don't recommend buying new gear unless you have 1-2 seasons and/or 100+ jumps but others' advice may differ.

Buy something used and resell it after a season or two. If you really want new, that's the time to buy it. You'll lose a couple of dollars per jump you put used gear.

New gear is like a new car, first jump it's depreciated a grand or so... It's also a dirt magnet. When you have a couple hundred jumps your gear will stay considerably cleaner.

-Michael

You should buy the same stuff I bought. I bought new gear and could afford the best, so what I bought is the best or I wouldn't have bought it!

Your question is kinda like asking a loyal Ford truck owner which truck mfg is the best. Many skydivers have a bias for/against certain mfgs.

If you have lots of money, go ahead and buy new, new gear is great. Support the skydiving gear industry.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/A_Guide_to_Buying_Your_First_Skydiving_Gear_873.html
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If you want to build your own rig, the best place to start is sewing your main canopy. I could mail you photo-copies of the Lone Star/Para Kit manual. Fortunately, Lone Star's methods do not require industrial sewing machines. The toughest of home/hobby sewing machines are strong enough as long as they will pull E-Thread (commercial size 69) through a #19 - 22 needle.
For example, I sewed a pair of para-kit canopies with an old, cast iron Pfaff 230. It could only sew two types of stitches: 301 and 305, but it could sew canopy fabric all day.
These days I mainly use a Sailrite zig-zag machine for canopy sewing.

Hah!
Hah!
Yes folks, I know that I drifted away from the OP, but I am a grumpy, old, grey-bearded Master Rigger who learned the meanings of words like "building" and "design."
Kind of like yesterday when young guys were playing Pokemon Go as we rode the van back to the airport. Old farts did not have the first clue what they were babbling about??????

Thank you for the advice! I read the articles about buying a used gear and I feel it's a good idea! How does the process work ? Should I buy a complete one, or match and mix ? Can I use a website or just post a request on Facebook skydiving sale page ? Should I ask a rigger to check it out ? How much does all that cost ?

Thank you again

Amad,

The best way to start this process is to talk to your instructors at your DZ. At best you get 25 opinions from a message board here and you ttry and figure out who is full of shit, who is looking after their own interests and who is genuinely trying to help out.

Having said that the first few things you need to think about is 1) what are your short term goals in the sport. 2) what are your long term goals ie: wingsuiting, freeflying etcm

I personally purchased new. I couldn't wait and by 30 jumps had brand new gear. The worst part for me was I bought a stock rig and it didn't fit perfectly sio when freeflying started the rig would slip off my shoulder a bit. Getting it custom would have saved me from purchasing a custom container later.

So many questions need to be answered before someone "should" be advising you about what gear to look for.