Jimd0g

I-33 Infinity Sizing

Hey all,

Just bought a infinity i-33 (holds 135-150 mains). looks awesome. however i have a safire 2 149 in for a reline to go into it. But have been told by another infinity owner that infinity's are more sized for the smallest of the canopies that they are listed for, in this case a 135. just worried that my safire 2 is gonna be a prick to pack and look like its pregnant. any opinions from infinity owners?

I'd say thats more or less correct, I have an I-34 and have had a Storm 170, Pilot 150, and now a Safire 3 139 in it. The 139 looks the cleanest by far, Pilot was easy to pack, Storm was ok. The reserve tray definitely fits better with smaller canopies. My R-max 148 makes it look fugly, and my rigger had a hell of a time getting it in there.

thanks all for the replies. I'm sure it should be ok with the safire 149. just downsized to this canopy so didnt see myself downsizing for a long time and thought it would suck if i had to use excessive force to close this thing for the next few years.

I'm on my sixth infinity, all have been -44's, -43's or -33's. With an OP160 and your Safire2 149 you should be fine. You can easily go down a size but a 170 main in that rig would be pushing it. The line type can make a significant difference also, but assuming you didn't get huge Dacron lines you shouldn't have to worry about packers bitching at you any more than normal. :)

Jimd0g

Hey all,

Just bought a infinity i-33 (holds 135-150 mains). looks awesome. however i have a safire 2 149 in for a reline to go into it. But have been told by another infinity owner that infinity's are more sized for the smallest of the canopies that they are listed for, in this case a 135. just worried that my safire 2 is gonna be a prick to pack and look like its pregnant. any opinions from infinity owners?

The I-33 was designed around the Sabre 1 150 as being the biggest canopy you'd want to pack into it regularly. I don't think your Safire should be significantly different, but the differences in canopy pack volumes often aren't appreciated until the pack jobs start getting tight.

When you pack your main, make sure to pack it wide- you want to use every bit of the bag available. It should have close to the same pack job density from one side of the bag to the other. The bag and container are essentially a fabric box- if you want it to look like a box, you need to support it from the inside to provide the shape you want. It's very common to see rigs where it looks like there's a football in the main bag- the majority of the bulk in the center with the locking stows stretched 2-3" and the sides and corners of the bag empty. I believe this happens because people keep the cocoon narrow so they don't lose control of the canopy as they're putting it in the bag. This will always result in a tight rig that doesn't look good.

We've also had situations where we built a rig for a canopy that should have fit, but we had to rebuild the rig two sizes larger to reasonably fit the customer's canopy.