kinney29

Amway/Quixtar

Here's a question for everyone. Has anyone here ever been involved or known anyone involved in "Network Marketing" specifically Amway/Qwixtar?
I know people who have been in it for thirty some years, and I personally am not the biggest fan. And their always trying to talk to me about it.
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it.
Any horror or success stories?

Here's a question for everyone. Has anyone here ever been involved or known anyone involved in "Network Marketing" specifically Amway/Qwixtar?
I know people who have been in it for thirty some years, and I personally am not the biggest fan. And their always trying to talk to me about it.

Why don't you Google it? There's plenty of info both good and bad.

I looked at it once. It appeared to me to be a numbers game. It all hinges on how into it you are and playing the odds. The more people you pitch it to the more likely you are to find enough people to make any money. You have to be totally dedicated and willing to put in the time and money. Not a get rich quick scheme. It does require alot of work.

Some of my family members sold Amway for a while. none got any more richer than they did before. Since it is a Multi-level Marketing scheme, they were systematically flawed. Most of them do not need to sell products advertised to make money. Amway profited by charging new people start up fees and seminars. They didn't need the sell of their products to operate, but to attract new people to sell them. the only way you are making money in these companies is if you started up with them origionally or on the upper level within the first several levels. Market saturation prevents profit after that.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Any horror or success stories?[/reply

Why don't you Google it? There's plenty of info both good and bad.

I have, just seeing what everyone here thinks.
My friends who have been in for 30 years have never made any money at it but still have the drive to continue. I don't get it myself!

That stuff is a joke. The way the bigshots make their money in that racket is by selling motivational tapes and getting their co-workers to spend all of their spare time and money going to meetings and conventions.

One of my prior in-laws talked me onto going to one of the meetings...it would have been funny if it had not been so sad. I sat next to this guy who was buying into the bs. He had gone out and bought himself a brand new, imitation leather briefcase and a new suit that still had the little satin label sewn onto the sleeve. The poor guy was buying all kinds of support materials from the snake oil salesmen up front, and he could not see the forest for the trees. Total waste of time IMHO.

http://mybizmgt.com/downloads/ppl/Ebooks/Money%20Money%20Money%20Money%20Money%20John%20Milton%20Fogg1.pdf

Read this.. You may think otherwise...

Just because you can't do something or because you don't understand doesn't mean it is a waste of time nor does it mean it is a bunch of crap. Why don't you just say that you don't know or have what it takes to build, train and mentor a sales organization rather than bash the industry.

You simply don't know what you are talking about and your opinion is uneducated.

Educate yourself... Then come back with some statements of Merit..

Here are companies using a business model that you consider a waste of time;

Here are the names of just some of the prominent, international Fortune 500, NYSE and even Dow Jones corporations currently involved in Network Marketing Sales because they see its marketing and sales power - and because they know their futures depend on it.

• Gillette
• Colgate-Palmolive
• Sprint
• MCI
• AT & T
• Fuller Brush
• Amway
• Firestone
• Rexall
• Avon
• Primerica
• IBM
• GM
• Toyota
• ServiceMaster
• Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
• ... and others

Rhino

Do you know something these companies don't?

It isn't a joke.
a vague description of the idea is if you had 200 people under you that are all buying normal household products through Amway at a slight discount(think Sams Club) it would make you a certain amount of money. IF one of those people decided to be really gung ho and had 200 people under them buying all their household products through Amway it would increase the money you made. Keep multiplying it and eventually it would be serious cash. Just a numbers game and redirecting your spending.

It works or Amway wouldn't have lasted as long as it has. One of the owners of Amway owns the Orlando Magic or at least he did. (not sure if he still does.)

LOL!

Just because you can't do something or because you don't understand doesn't mean it is a waste of time nor does it mean it is a bunch of crap.

LSHIFF!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It's not rocket science, I think I have a pretty good grasp on what network marketing is and I am well educated on the subject, I have a BBA and I owned a successful business for ten years. In my opinion, Quixtar is a failed business model for the vast majority of folks who sign up and put the time in; and if you take away the motivational crap, it's an unsustainable model, IMO. Yeah, I know about the tiny percentage that actually make it big, and I know how they did it....by selling motivational junk to the people who will fall for it.

A friend of mine took me to her cousin's house (mansion) who is one of the top gurus in Amway/Quixtar and I saw his distribution setup of tapes, booklets, seminars, etc. The guru flat out admitted to me that he made something like 80% of his revenue from selling support materials and expensive tickets to feel-good, sales seminars. It's a scam, and if people want to believe the dream while getting fleeced by their mentors that's up to them. But, if someone asks my opinion, I'll tell them it's a joke and to not drink the cool-aid.

Amway is a good business model. Quixtar I don't know as well.

If Amway is being talked bad about in class ask your business professor why he is teaching business instead of running a successful one? The guys that started Amway own multiple islands, yachts and planes.. What has your professor "or whomever likes to put business they don't understand down" accomplished other than bashing things he doesn't understand?

Am I in Amway? No... Am I in Quixtar? No.. I don't like the commission structure of either business. But the business works for those that work the business... Building a network marketing organization is HARD, ALOT of work and very rewarding. Amway was hard corps.. When I did it 8 years ago I had alot of fun.. Never made any money but it was fun.. The people.. The personal development.. The whole thing was a blast..

To each his own ..

(gnome)
STEP 1: Collect underpants
STEP 3: Profit

(human)
What's step 2???

(gnome)
STEP 1: Collect underpants... :|

(human)
Yes, I know Step 1 & 3..., what's Step 2?

(gnome)
[:/]... Does anyone know whats Step 2???

(rest of the gnomes)
STEP 1: Collect Underpants

(gnome)
There ya go...

(human)
*sigh*... [:/]B|[:/]

I went to a couple of those seminars, and that's all
it sounded like to me, and what got me was the
synchronized applause... There was no way I could
take that seriously, some do... and it helps them,
it just wasn't for me.

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

One of my Ex's bought hook line and sinker into Quixtar. I tried to tell her what it was once she mentioned it and she insisted it was not Mulit-Level Marketing anything. It was simply buying products you already use everyday and geting paid to do it. :S:D Shes gone for a reason.

The only way its profitable is to be a founder. Top 4-5 tiers are where over 95% of the money is. The other 100's of tiers contain the other about 5% spread across hundreds of thousands of people. The only way to make money is to con more people into the pyramid and hope they buy things and they recruit people.

That college professor has a more stable income, benifits and probally makes more then about 99.99% of those running businesses out of Multi Level anythings. He probally even mkes more then a lot of small business owners make. He might not make more then their companies profit, but he probally sure makes more then they get to take home. I'd say thats pretty damn successful.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Multi-level marketing schemes...hmmm....sounds "kinda" ;) like what a friend of mine has gotten into (Market America) and tried (unsuccessfully) to get me into. :S
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I have a cousin in Colorado who claims to be making a great deal of money from Quixtar. Her husband was an Engineer making over $150,000 per year who quit his job to run his Quixtar business on a full time basis.

Claims?

Have you been able to actually verify that the income is the same as it was before?

I know some people do it just because they enjoy the challenge of a new business... but I've never heard of anyone actually making 100k plus unless they are top tier in those programs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Claims?

Have you been able to actually verify that the income is the same as it was before?

I know some people do it just because they enjoy the challenge of a new business... but I've never heard of anyone actually making 100k plus unless they are top tier in those programs.

Uh, yeah..... I'll just ask my cousin if I can take a look at her tax forms. :S

I do know they live in a very nice home and from all outward appearances they are doing very well. They tried to get me interested a few years ago but it wasn't my cup of tea.

It's a far more reliable way to alienate one's friends than it is to make money.

It's basically a pyramid scheme. Of course they'll tell you that it's not, but they are either lying to you, wrong, or splitting hairs.

Ultimately, it's BS.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Sorry for the long post, but I have some experience in the Amway business.

I wish people would give Amway a break. They have a sound business model and they offer one of the most level playing fields in the world. Anyone willing to do the work will make it.

If someone is trying to make it in Amway/Quixtar, be a friend and support them. You don't have to sign up, but look though the catalogs and at least consider buying some stuff. I support all my friends who start a business, regardless of what it is, That's what friends do.

People forget that Amway was investigated by the Federal Trade Commission back in the 70's. It was shown be a legitimate business and NOT a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are illegal. Do you really think companies like Coca Cola would sign a business deal with something illegal?

In a pyramid, the person who signed you up will always make more money than you. In Amway you can surpass the income of your upline. You just have to work harder that he/she does...and it happens a lot!

As someone pointed out, I did alienate my family because of the business. When I showed them what I was into, they laughed and told me i'd never make it. I thanked them for supporting my business <> and tried to move on. Imagine if your wife, husband, parents, etc told you that your job was stupid and that you were destined to fail at it. How long would you put up with it? Not very long!

At the same time I know others who relentlessly pursued family and friends. That sucks, and it helped give the business a bad name. If somenoe says no thanks, you gotta respect that. It does suck that so many people say no before they even see the business plan. But if they don't want to see it, they don't want to see it. Period. The best way to get those people involved is to go out start making some money at it...eventually some of them will come begging for you to get them started.

The business works and the plan is sound. At one point in the 90's Amway passed McDonalds as the #1 creator of new millionaires in the world. That is no small feat. I haven't been involved in Quixtar, but I assume it's the same business model...sponsor six who sponsor 4 who sponsor 2.

Success in Amway was based on your ability to follow that plan. That is a commitment that most people won't make...myself included. Make X new contacts a day, call Y people a week, show the plan to Z people a month. It was tough to find the motivation, that is where the books, tapes and seminars helped. Lots and lots of self esteem and you-can-do-it type of stuff.

The books, tapes and seminars are tricky thing. For the people who follow that system and get results...they credit it as the reason they made it big. For the people who follow it and fail, it's a rip off. I find it a little disturbing that the big distributors make that kind of money on the system. But make no mistake, they are still making big money from the Amway side of things. There are thousands of people making $150K+ a year from the Amway part of the business. The money they make from the tapes and books, is as good or better...but they earn it through speaking engagements and holding business success seminars.

I can tell you that I became a better person after reading those books and listening to those tapes. They were very inspirational. I'm not a salesperson, and it seems no amount of books will change that. When i realized that, I quit the business. I'm still a better person for the experience.

I know a few people who made it big by focusing on selling the products. The water filters, the gift program, etc. Those had 20-35% mark up on them, not bad for a sales commission. If you are have a sales type personality, you should check out the opportunity.

Years ago friends asked us over for dinner along with another couple we didn't know. I took the obligatory six-pack and looked forward to the meal. I should have known something was up when they cut me off after two beers and the other couple set up an easel.

No Amway until I get my other four beers back. Oh yeah, and our friend's husband didn't even stay for the presentation. Chicken!
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I can tell you that I became a better person after reading those books and listening to those tapes. They were very inspirational. I'm not a salesperson, and it seems no amount of books will change that. When i realized that, I quit the business. I'm still a better person for the experience.

Wow, it sounds like you copied a page from my own journal.

Thanks for sharing.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon