Kennedy

UC-Boulder Professor's Thoughts On 9/11

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=16812
***CU Professor Compares 9/11 Victims to Nazis

A University of Colorado professor who compared the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center to Nazis has ignited protests on a college campus where he's been invited to speak.

He may have worded his argument a litle strongly, but for the most part, he's saying that the antipathy directed at the US is the result of it's disasterous foreign policy decisions, and as a democratic republic, the population partly shares the blame for the government's actions.

In that, I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Or perhaps on a continuum his views are a LOT more extreme than that....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=16812
***CU Professor Compares 9/11 Victims to Nazis

A University of Colorado professor who compared the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center to Nazis has ignited protests on a college campus where he's been invited to speak.

He may have worded his argument a litle strongly, but for the most part, he's saying that the antipathy directed at the US is the result of it's disasterous foreign policy decisions, and as a democratic republic, the population partly shares the blame for the government's actions.

In that, I wholeheartedly agree with him.

--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The prof is a total:S wack job:S and is entitled to his viewpoint.

What most people in Colo. take exception to,is the fact that his 94k annual salary is paid for by Colo. taxpayers.We dont feel we should "subsidize " his assinine point of view.He might be better served by going to work for a "private" university,be less accountability for him to espouse his ridiculous themes.

He also claims to be an indigenous (Native) American,conflicting reports as to how accurate his claim is........I suspect he is a "wanna be"

The fact that he is a tenured professor makes it next to impossible to get rid of him.......but some state legislators are thinking about slashing the budget for the ethnic studies dept. at CU which would be one way to turn up the heat on the asshole Unfortunate for the rest of the faculty and students though
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

The whole purpose of tenure is to protect disparate viewpoints. Because the intellectual exercise in analyzing them and countering them is part of the educational process.

If you only tenured people who agreed with you, then nothing would ever go off in new directions. Yes, it would be comfortable for people who don't like having their paradigms and thought processes challenged, but, well, we'd be a lot more limited as a society.

He could stand to word his thoughts a little better. Too many professors I know (I'm the daughter of one) pride themselves on being "the key link" in someone's chain of thought that brought them to a critical realization. What they sometimes fail to realize is that they end up postulating ridiculous stuff just so that they can remain front and center in focus, without seeing if they're remaining there only because they like the limelight.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Accountability on what his ideas are? No.

Competence as a teacher? There should be, but as tenured faculty there isn't necessarily. Except that you still get evaluations, and you can be pressured by the university as far as funding and the like.

The idea is that the direction that knowledge goes shouldn't be directed from the outside, it should find its own direction. Timothy Leary (who was well farther outside of the norm than the guy at UC/Boulder) did lose tenure, but it took lots of public writings about illegal drug usage for that to happen.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeppir. If you can't couch your theory in a way that the people whom you want to discuss it can approach it, then your theory is useless.

If I want to talk skydiving with whuffos, I have to talk about it in terms they can relate to. If I want to talk about the space shuttle software with skydivers, I can't start in on the G3 archive. :)
Wendy W.