jrodrod

Full Face 2016

Looks like it's been a while since the last full face thread so thought I'd ask for all the 2016 shoppers.

Rev2/Aero got a lot of posts here but at DZ's I visited, they've been invisible and all I see is G3's and an occasional unrecognizable, among full face helmets.

The G3 seems to leave the bottom half of the back of the head less protected. What's the design consideration there? Lighter weight?

Are the BH users still sticking with their BH's? How did you decide between Aero vs Rev2?

I asked some guys at the DZ and they didn't seem to have spent much time shopping; a common thought is "sure everyone else has one but there must be a reason they all have one."

For me, spending $400 for plastic isn't very appealing.

I went G3 because there were enough sizes among other jumpers at my DZ that I could try them on and figure out what would work before I spent $400 for an online purchase. It was the only helmet I found that my head (especially my mouth after I got braces) and has an (aftermarket) cutaway available.

I got a full face (very used and cheap Mamba) when I started tunnel flying and spit on my own face. I had to replace the Mamba when I got braces.

There's enough throughput of US and foreign jumpers in FL that if any of the BH products were as good as their (basically sponsored) reviews you think we'd be seeing tons of them. I can probably count on one hand how many I've seen during the last few years - even the Aero which appeared fairly decent.

We're just living in a G3 world...though I will say that most first time full face buyers I see these days are going with the KISS. Everything that is good about the G3 plus better ventilation and audible integration. The audible pockets on my G3 are pretty trashed.

I'll pick up a KISS when it is time to replace I think.

hillson

Everything that is good about the G3 plus better ventilation and audible integration.

Can you put the audible cover on with the audible inside? I'd rather have it covered up. How'd the G3 pocket get trashed? Just regular wear and tear?

I'm thrilled with my Bonehead Aero. Have been jumping it for a year (all belly jumps) and never had a fogging problem, even though I jump through the winter. The view out the faceshield is totally unobstructed. After adjusting the shims, the fit is great. I like the cutaway feature, although haven't had to use it.

I bought the blue model, and the only negative I've found is it seems to chip down to the primer fairly easily upon bumping the door, etc.
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

jrodrod

Can you put the audible cover on with the audible inside? I'd rather have it covered up. How'd the G3 pocket get trashed? Just regular wear and tear?

Just general use over the last 4ish years. Taking the audibles in an out etc.

I didn't baby the helmet either...just used it like a helmet and didn't think too much about it. Made it through ~1000 jumps just fine. The only reason for a new one, frankly, is that I *want* a new one eventually.

Got the Aero instead of the Rev2 because I liked the styling better, the unobstructed view, didn't need a convertible helmet, and wasn't happy with air infiltration in my original Revolve. Happy with my choice!
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

I have BH Rev2. It was my first helmet after AFF and I'm still very happy with it two years and ~350 jumps later. Aero wasn't out when I was researching which helmet to buy, but even if it was, I would still get the Rev2 because I can put it on and take it off without removing my glasses.

I put a camera on it about a month ago using BH's Swivel Mount. It's a good snag-resistant design, but does add a bit of weight to the visor. The cutaway system will release the chinstrap, but I have serious doubts that it would unlock the visor if there is any amount of tension on it. Unlike a 3-ring system, there is no force reduction on the cable, and it goes past a wide carbon fiber opening and through a nylon tape, both of which will create a lot of friction when you try to pull it. I decided that the cutaway handle was actually a bigger snag hazard and could potentially release the chinstrap at a bad time, taking the helmet and my glasses off. I got rid of the handle and rerouted the cable so that it's not exposed in any way. The chinstrap release can be operated with one finger. The same goes for the visor, which I think is a better design than having to use both hands.

In terms of safety, I think that all skydiving helmets fall into the "better than nothing" category. BH is carbon fiber, but I don't know whether that will have any significant advantage over plastic in any serious head impact.

Fogging has not been an issue. Before I had a camera, I would open the visor under the canopy, but now I leave it closed until the landing.

jrodrod

I asked some guys at the DZ and they didn't seem to have spent much time shopping; a common thought is "sure everyone else has one but there must be a reason they all have one."

Bingo! And it's not just helmets. I tried wearing the G3, Z1, and Phantom XV before settling on the Rev2. The Rev2 had better visibility and was also the only one that was comfortable for me. I needed the XXL version and the largest versions of the other helmets were still too small for me.

Is the audible completely exposed when mounted outside the Kiss? Or is there some clear protection over it?

Not sure what it's called but I've had openings in which the risers twist violently, knocking the side of my helmet. Another one gave me a blister on a finger. I can see that slaying the audible if it's uncovered.

I started wearing a BH AERO since my 8th jump. Almost 200 jumps later it still fits like new! I agree that the paint is easily chipped off when I bump the door. It's however the only helmet that fits my big head.. I wear a XL while G3's XXL is still too small for me. The AERO does protect the lower part of the backside of your head better, and its field of view is great. The built in cutaway is a plus. Between the rev2 and AERO I chose AERO because rev2 has limited camera mounting positions and AERO looks better B|

My skydiving blog: www.kiwiskydiving.com /// youtube channel: kiwiskydiving

jrodrod

Is the audible completely exposed when mounted outside the Kiss? Or is there some clear protection over it?

Not sure what it's called but I've had openings in which the risers twist violently, knocking the side of my helmet. Another one gave me a blister on a finger. I can see that slaying the audible if it's uncovered.

The audible are resecced in the helmet and secured. But not covered.
I highly doubt that you can mess it up with a riser/line twist.
Done 150+ jumps on my kiss and no issue so far.

timrf79

The audible are resecced in the helmet and secured. But not covered.
I highly doubt that you can mess it up with a riser/line twist.
Done 150+ jumps on my kiss and no issue so far.

Thanks. Sounds like it's safe from those twists. But I still sometimes take a tumble in the mud when winds get tricky. I'm guessing you can't put the audible cover back on after mounting?

I have 300+ jumps on a Rev2
None of the cookie sizes were comfortable for me (weird shape head maybe?).

I would have gone for the Aero had it been out but I like my helmet none the less. The open face is less useful and a go-pro mounted on the visor half can be a bit annoying in a small plane when the visor is fully open as it sticks past the back of your head.

However I won't jump a camera without a cutaway system and bonehead is the only full face manufacturer installing them as standard. I disagree with the other post about the Teflon cable being a snag hazard. I want the cable to be easy to grab if shit goes wrong

Bought the new KISS for a really cool price (cheaper than G3).

Pro's:

venting system
lens FOV
lens replacement mechanism
lens locking system
strapless fastening to the head
damn cool look
no fogging
outside audible pockets
comfort
thick material, helmet looks and feels sturdy
sound isolation

Con's:

-If you don't get a special deal a bit more expensive than a g3
- no top mount for the cool kids (but you can install mouth grellfab mount)

I personally cannot fit my head into a xxl G3 but the KISS will fit me XL perfectly. I have a long head from chin to the top. I think it is gonna last me for a long time and I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of this helmet with every jump I make. Compared to Cookie the build and the feel is much better.

I have the green lime variety with the black mouthpiece.

Skyhelmets D7, check out their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Skyhelmets-210211255784088/

Their product is blowing up overseas. I also own the bonehead aero and a couple g3's, and by far for a full face the D7 is my favorite of all of them. They are also in the pricier end though.

I feel like the product gives me better protection and it's also has a slightly better noise protection. Right now they have Mediums, and I think they are almost done with the Large size shells (I wear a medium D7 but a large g3)

Customer support is also SUPERB.

They are big overseas, and will continue to grow when they complete all their helmet sizes. I think they are still working on a logo even, not just a website :S

The aero is ugly but I prefer it over the g3 just cause it fits my head better and has a cutaway. I also have it vinyl wrapped so it doesn't look so bad.

I'll say this again though, if I had to pick one full face, it be the D7. Most comfortable, noise dampening, and feels like it protects my head compared to the other options I tried.

I have flown both the Aero and the KISS. I sold my KISS to buy a 2nd Aero. I got the matte black, so paint chipping is not an issue. Comfort, fit, and ease of visor manipulation are all superior in in Aero. It also features a built in cutaway, and easier to use pockets for audibles.

Edit: oh and it is made from carbon fiber, so it isn't a plastic bowl to contain my brain in case i need to use it.

Slimrn

Edit: oh and it is made from carbon fiber, so it isn't a plastic bowl to contain my brain in case i need to use it.

Call me old fashioned, but if a bowl is containing my brain I don't give a shit about its material. And it is not as if carbon fiber protects any better than any plastic shell.