Shawtown939

Stiletto Inflating Too Quickly (170 w/ approx 800 jumps)

So I have a stiletto with a fast opening problem. It happens as the canopy hits line stretch. Lines are in trim, slider in spec, both myself and packers cannot slow it down. I've had 3 different packers 5 times each pack it to see if it was me. Got to the point of tucking 4 and 4 in the center nose cell with the stabs back. I'm the second person at the DZ to own this canopy with the same problem. Different PC size and type tried, different d bag and container. My rigger suggested I post to get a different opinion on the situation. I think worn out cross ports may be to blame. I can't get any bigger on deployment and my body is taking a beating, but the canopy material is still in really good shape.... Ideas?

Lines are in trim,..

With 800 jumps, the lines cannot be in trim unless it has been relined recently. This is with the assumption that the lines are Spectra.

If the canopy has been relined outside of PD by someone lacking the proper skill set and knowledge, the lines could be very well installed incorrectly.

A 600lb Technora line set would be my next suggestion if you cannot solve the issue otherwise. Simply installed and properly made, it will slow the openings down considerably.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Slider size correct?
See if you can measure it and compare it to another person's canopy

How much slack is in the brake lines before they deflect the tail of the canopy (after releasing them).

Don't think I have heard of worn cross ports before.

One small method to slow it down is to leave a quarter of the slider exposed. Explanation: When it is pro packed, and hanging and the noses are rolled/tucked, then grab the quarter of the slider that is outfacing and pull it outside the "bundle". Try it.

This tip came from the PD 'main packing' demo at PIA two symposiums ago.

I also have a Stilletto 170. (Older canopy) Same problem. about 1/4 of the openings are hard. I had it relined by PD and yes, the openings were a little bit better, but by no means did that eliminate the problem. I just jump it. I actually like firm openings, but not the hard ones. I stick with my Stilletto because it is such a great canopy. I by no means get "slammers"; just a bit harder than I'd like.

My rigger with over 40 years in the sport measured trim, re worked the brake line settings to try to help. Not sure on last reline, I believe 200 ago. Cross ports not frayed all the way. About 1/2" larger than those that are in a bit better shape. Slider measures to PD specs. He's asked me to do this whole feeler for out of the box ideas. Pocket slider perhaps? The canopy was doing this for my buddy who owned it before me. He had it relined when he bought. This is an ongoing issue.

I jumped a stiletto for awhile and while I loved the canopy the opening were super fast. I did not enjoy those. I even roll packed it, and tucked the crap out of the nose. Nothing helped. You can consider a pocket slider to slow it down. I don't think that its something that you are doing per say but rather that Stilleto's just open fast. Hope this helps. On the other hand, you can always get a Spectre :) Those are some fluffy openings.

Wow. I'm doing everything I can to speed mine up.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I use a psycho pack on mine and I have discovered that if I have the slider all the way pushed in and the slider grommets are about 7" from the trailing edge I have very nice opening. The closer the grommets are to the trailing edge the more brisk the openings become [:/]

My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.