hyper172

lost seal press

Was it stolen by someone who would have known what it was, like at the drop zone. Or by a non-skydiving stranger out of a parking lot somewhere else? Obviously, you don't know who the thief was. But the location from which it was stolen might indicate something.

Will the FAA assign you a new seal number, so you don't have to worry about somebody faking your seal? You wouldn't want to get blamed for someone else's work with a stolen seal press...

Gosh!

While unassigned seal codes have to be kept under lock and key, there is no control over seals or presses. Anyone can have any seal code engraved on a die and out it in a press. While a stolen one makes it easier to fake a pack job it's not hard anyway.

That's why I number all of my pack jobs in my log and on the card. Even if someone figures out to add a number when they forge my signature a can show in my log and on the right card what pack job that number really belings to.

Seal presses are not provided by the FAA. The seal symbol is assigned and your on your own to buy a oress and have a die made. If the OP had one given to him that was unusual and not by the Feds.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

...Seal presses are not provided by the FAA. The seal symbol is assigned and your on your own to buy a oress and have a die made. If the OP had one given to him that was unusual and not by the Feds.

When I took my rigger course, the lead instructor/DPRE had presses and dies for the symbols he was going to assign. The students had the option of purchasing it from him, or getting one on their own (ParaGear or whoever). Since he offered it for the same price as ParaGear, everyone that I took the class with bought it from him.

It was a "convenience" thing he offered.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I had the same thing happen about 12 years ago, stolen from my car. Lost the whole deal...press, log book, certificate (was in my log book) and ALL the tools.

I informed the FAA, got a new cert card (from the FAA), got a new log book, got a new press from para-gear and moved forward. Never heard anything else about it.

I hate thieves!
my pics & stuff!

May I suggest getting a distinctive pattern engraved on the opposite jaw of your new seal press? Record the new double-sided seal in your new logbook. You might even want to send a copy of your new seal symbol to the FAA.
After that date, any pack job with your old seal is a forgery. The Feds do get upset about forged maintenance records and have imposed fines on skydivers who forged a rigger's signature while pencil-packing.

councilman24

Seal presses are not provided by the FAA. The seal symbol is assigned and your on your own to buy a press and have a die made. If the OP had one given to him that was unusual and not by the Feds.

The DPRE gave me a press during my O/P to seal the rig I was packing for the exam, then said to keep it since I'll be needing it anyways. It's one of the nicer ones too, not the roll pins but it's got the bolt and nut hinge.

I got my seal die engraved by Sealexim and it looks great, but good luck finding those guys.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

riggerrob

May I suggest getting a distinctive pattern engraved on the opposite jaw of your new seal press?

I already had my initials on the otherside. I'm sure it was a tweaker that stole my shit so the chances of seeing it on a rig are probably pretty slim.
my pics & stuff!

Sadly, most stolen skydiving gear gets discarded in dumpsters, by petty criminals, never to fly again.
If it sounds like your gear was stolen, you should still cover your (legal) butt by ordering a new seal with a different logo on the backside. Speaking of covering your backside, send a letter to the FAA explaining the theft and include ink-stamps of your new seal press.

Thanks for all of the information, everyone's responses were very helpful. Really good idea about having initials engraved on the back side and also numbering pack jobs on the data card as well as the log book.

I thought there would be some type of control on the die, guess not. My toolkit was just one of the many things stolen out of a storage shed, so I doubt the thieves would have any idea what to do with it.