unformed

for gun aficionados .....

I need a handgun. Not for any other reason but to fulfill this kick I'm on. I'm not looking for self-defense or anything, but just shooting shit.

Now I'm also on a tight budget, which knocks out quite a few guns.

I'm considering getting an 1858 Remington black powder revolver, since I think it would just be fun to shoot and it's also very much in my budget.

But I'm wondering, should I get that, or get a modern handgun, and if I get a modern handgun, what's good in the sub-300 price range?
This ad space for sale.

Its been a long time since I did a lot of hand gun so I welcome others to voice their opinion on this suggestion.

For just under $300 MSR - shop around you'll find it cheaper
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=173&return=Y

For just over $300 MSR, but better gun - shop around you'll find it cheaper
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=174&return=Y
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Guns are like hammers, you need the right one for the job. Also condsider the cost of ammunition. Over the life of a firearm, the initial investment can pale compared to what you spend on ammo. If funds are low and you just want to "plink", I would get an inexpensive handgun in .22LR caliber. They shoot well, not too loud, minimal recoil, and, on sale, the ammo is less than 2 cents a round. Can't have a better time shooting for less money than shooting a .22.

If you want more recoil and firepower, 9mm is the next best choice. At Walmart, bulk 9mm is $11 for a box of 100, the cheapest I've found any large caliber ammunition. For versatility in a revolver, buy a .357 magnum revolver and use .38 special ammo for plinking. You'll save money and recoil, yet still have a gun that will handle higher power magnum loads should you ever want them.

If this is your first firearm, get some good instruction on safety, shooting, and cleaning. Have fun.

If funds are low and you just want to "plink", I would get an inexpensive handgun in .22LR caliber. They shoot well, not too loud, minimal recoil, and, on sale, the ammo is less than 2 cents a round. Can't have a better time shooting for less money than shooting a .22.

I second this!

You can pick up .22's CHEAP and the ammo is even cheaper, then you get to plink away to your hearts content.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get a modern gun.

Black powder is cool, but I know folks with them and the hassle of them means that they don't get used much. They get brought out really only when someone wants to see it...It is not an everyday plinker. Kinda like a Motorcycle is not the best everyday transportation in most cases.

Many have said a 22 is a good choice. I agree. They are cheap and just fun to shoot.

If I could only have one gun it would be a .357 revolver. I would shoot .38 in it, but every once ina while I could also shoot .357.

I think its close to the perfect weapon.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

See if you can try before you buy somewhere - maybe a local gun range has some examples you could use... not to try out specific pistols but just to see whether you prefer BP or cordite.

BP shooting is a whole other sport of its own... it's not about getting off hundreds of rounds in a day... but setting up each shot absolutely perfectly and communing with each and every element of your weapon and ammunition... least that's how I looked at it.

Taurus has some nice inexpensive revolvers. I would recomend a 357 so you can use 38spc too or if you want an semi-auto a rock river .45

if you want noise and muzzel flash the smith 500, fun but expensive.

Cheap to shoot get a .22

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

I'd have to agree with you. I've got an S&W Model 66, .357 mag. My wife, carries a 40 Glock. When we go target shooting I'll shoot .38 wad-cutters. when I 'carry', I keep it loaded with the magnums. As you mentioned, the .38 ammo is cheaper. The .357 is a good, all 'round pistol. They've been around, since the 1920's and have proven themselves.

Chuck

I have the Italian 1858 Remington replica.

It is a lot of fun to shoot, but there is no sight adjustment, and it is messy. The grease patch (Bore Butter) blows everywhere when fired. Fun once in a while.

If your going the black powder route, the little Remington seems to print best with around 26 grains of Pyrodex and a .454 ball.

Get a Ruger Mk. II. I have one that must have over a million rounds through it, and it still prints an inch at 25 yds. All I ever had to do was replace the main spring from normal fatigue.

A company called Volquartsen makes the target grip, and extended bolt release on mine, and the red dot optics are by Tasco, on a So Low mount.

Bill Ruger makes good stuff.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I need a handgun. Not for any other reason but to fulfill this kick I'm on. I'm not looking for self-defense or anything, but just shooting shit.

Now I'm also on a tight budget, which knocks out quite a few guns.

Try a Ruger Mk II with a heavy bull barell. It just stays parked on target. I really like mine. Paid under $300 for it years ago; don't know what current prices are although you should be able to get one used for that.

For centerfire I'd try a Makarov - under $200.

.22 is a bit over $30/1000, 9x18mm Makarov is about $120/1000, 9mm is about $130/1000, and 40 S&W $180/1000.