darora15

Parachute Systems Volt

Hey guys, got a question. I tried searching but maybe my search fu isn't strong enough. Anyone out there jumping a Parachute Systems Volt. I currently jump a Sabre2. I was just wondering how a Volt compares to the Sabre2.
Thanks
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

I jump a Volt 185 loaded at 1 to 1.1. So far I've put 100 jumps on it. I've jumped a Sabre2 190for 50 jumps before the Volt. The flight characteristics are very similar. Toggle and riser inputs, turn rates are the same. I'd say the flare point on the Volt is a bit lower than the Sabre, but the overall flare is very strong and I stand up on no wind days no problem. A big difference I've noticed is the Volt's openings. I didn't know better at first and I didn't do anything to the nose. I kept having

My skydiving blog: www.kiwiskydiving.com /// youtube channel: kiwiskydiving

I have jumped the VOLT 135 and the VOLT 120.. both with great openings. It has a long snivel phase and it can take about
300 meters until it´s fully open. Sometimes you have closed endcells but they open quickly when you give a slight pump on the rears.

Compared to a Sabre 2 it has a lightly flatter glide and the togglepressure is olmost the same if not lighter on the Volt.
Flarepower is great on the Volt.

While we're at it, what about Ventus, Hurricane and V-max? How do they compare to better-known canopies? I'm totally interested in matching my PS container with a PS canopy, but the lack of info and demo programme is a bummer that prevents it from happening so far. I'll probably be in the market for a downsize in 50 or so jumps, and I'd really like to try out a PS canopy, but I know better than to commit to a canopy I've never flown (case in point: I demoed Pilot7, which touts "great, soft openings". I kept getting spankers and the best efforts by packers got it to "not quite painful". After 15 jumps, I'd not willingly fly it as my daily canopy for terminal openings on non-WS jumps).
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I do not jump a Ps main but a large number of my friends do.

The hurricane is very popular in SA. It's been compared to the stiletto. Snappy toggle turns, good flare, short recovery arc on fronts. I have limited jumps on this canopy but the glide ratio is definitely steeper than my pilot. It's popular for being fun to fly and having a good flare.

Not sure about the Venus. It's fairly similar to the hurricane I think. Only afew people jumping them here and I have not really asked their opinion.

Vmax, never seen one in the air. A guy I know with one says he is not current enough to jump it so sticks to his sensei.

Regarding the pilot 7, how are ws openings? I have one rig that is used for FS and ws and the regular pilot works well for that. I would be disappointed if the 7 cell could not be comfortably used for terminal jumps as I am hoping to demo one.

Thanks.

Re: Pilot7, it's definitely a dedicated WS canopy. I put 15 belly jumps on it, so it's not that you can't survive a terminal opening, but even with "pack it as slow as you possibly can" by the packers, the opening is something you brace for and dread somewhat. It should be fine for an occasional demo jump, especially if subterminal (it loves subterminal), but I wouldn't want it as a switch canopy where I regularly put on a significant number of terminal jumps.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

If anyone is interested, here are a couple of deployments on my Volt loaded at 1.3

I've only noticed the left toggle fire at 0:52 after editing the video. Canopy did not react to it at all and the last clip is the worst opening I got in 50 jumps. :ph34r:

I also had a downwinder a week ago and I ran it out without any fuss, great canopy. Love it very much. The first two deployments are in slow motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvbXkjUxfE

• Like 1