tunaplanet

Who cares about the earthquake and tsunami victims.....

No comments

But you posted back, that gives him the attention he wants.

Duh! I did it too. Damn it:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Disgusting. How could they think an eye witness account would be relevant?

They are talking how Jet Li is missing as well - its a way to try to personalize the news. 22,000 dead people is hard to comprehend.

They are talking how Jet Li is missing as well - its a way to try to personalize the news. 22,000 dead people is hard to comprehend.

I can't believe it - 22,000 dead, and still counting, and our priorities are Jet Li & some guy who's been on Oprah?! Pathetic - I have seen very few funds set up for relief of those who were affected, and almost all media coverage I've heard is concerning well-known Americans who MAY have been hurt. I have an issue with this...
=========Shaun ==========

I can't believe it - 22,000 dead, and still counting, and our priorities are Jet Li & some guy who's been on Oprah?! Pathetic - I have seen very few funds set up for relief of those who were affected, and almost all media coverage I've heard is concerning well-known Americans who MAY have been hurt. I have an issue with this...

The Chicago Tribune has an article on the front page how a local is missing over there and the steps his family is trying to get him found (ie writting to Bush for help).

It's very typical for the news to try to personalize things. This happens all the time - after 9/11 they focused on the idividual to help people understand the real impact of the tragedy, and there are plenty of other examples of this in the news over the last 50 years. I don't see anyone making light of the amount of lives lost or saying one life is better than others.

CNN was talking all day about relief efforts and money being sent. Within 12 hours people from Europe were on site helping out. They also talked about how all the additional images will help generate donations.

I think by the end of the week the number will be more like 100,000.:| Behold the power of nature because we are really nothing more than ants.;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I've heard is concerning well-known Americans who MAY have been hurt. I have an issue with this...

Ok. Here's one not so well known.

I have a first cousin and her entire family who live in Jakarta, Indonesia. They are missionaries there (3 bush pilots and a nurse...plus their children) and travel alot throughout the country helping the locals.

We have not heard from them since the disaster. We're still hoping and praying.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I do... I know 3 persons that are in Thailand riht now: the vietnamese wife and daughter from the person that leads our dropzone. She wanted to visit her family.

A colleague jumper from our dropzone is in South East Asia riht now... f I am not mistaken he wanted to pass his last days at a huge party on a beach in Thailand... around Christmas.

i don't know what happened to them. However I fel sorry for all the victims and their families. Yesterday I gave an extra donation to a ngo and will do it again within 2 weeks.
-------------------------------------------------

No dive, like skydive... wanna bet on it?

this is my Uncle's business, run out of Phuket, Thailand:

http://www.ocean-rover.com/

Through a small miracle his boat and with it his and his families lifelihood got through everything unharmed. His crew and customers are fine, the same can not be said for his crew's families....

My uncle, his wife and two children were with us in Canada while all this happened and are thankfully ok.

I've heard is concerning well-known Americans who MAY have been hurt. I have an issue with this...

I have a first cousin and her entire family who live in Jakarta, Indonesia. They are missionaries there (3 bush pilots and a nurse...plus their children) and travel alot throughout the country helping the locals.

ltdiver

I hope you hear from them soon and that they are doing well...:)
Otherwise...I agree with Bo...it's common to individualize a tragedy...to bring it to a more personal level...

~R+R:|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

i lost an uncle[:/]
he will truly be missed.

atleast i know what happened to him,not knowing if the person is alive hurt or dead were the worst part for me.

In Last news i heard up to 55000should be dead at this point,but its a dk news thing i dunno if its correct.

My best whishes to all connected to this.
lets hope some of all us rich countryes will support the rebuild of the country,whith out making too much mony out of it...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The count appears to be up to 43 or 44 thousand. Of course, this is just the beginning. For those that survived, they now have to deal with disease and pestilence that ordinarily follows an event like this.

I think that these tsunamis could easily become directly responsible for the deaths of 100k people in the next two or three months.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

ltdiver

Hope things turn out ok.

I just found out today that a former boss of mine was there with his family on the island of Phuket. Things turned out ok for all of them.

Hope things turn out ok.

I just found out today that a former boss of mine was there with his family on the island of Phuket. Things turned out ok for all of them.

Phuket really was one of the least hardest hit...it just seems to be getting much of the news time due to the tourists.

i lost an uncle
he will truly be missed.

So sorry to hear this, Stefan. Family means alot to us here as well.

Still haven't heard any news of my cousin and her family. Thought I would by tonight, but no. :|

Lori

This one takes the cake though: Tsunamis shatter celebrity holidays :S

What an article like this tells us is that:

1) The place that got hit was beautiful....nice enough to attract those the 'world' feels are beautiful. It gives dimension to just HOW this dreadful tsunami has shattered a tropical paradise.

2) These places are locations that you and I would have LOVED to have traveled and vacationed. It gives the local consumer a more in depth 'feeling' of loss and perhaps now a 'need' to contribute to the restoration of life and property.

3) Lastly, those who are shallow enough to only care about celebrities just might be drawn to read an article like this and know that they are not immune to disasters. (not you WFFC, 'cause we know that you would care if all that was reported was 'bare land in a wasteland filled with pigmies was hit). An article like this speaks to those who need the added connection.

btw, we still have not heard from my cousin and her family. I've sent off another e-mail this morning... :|

ltdiver