arhiivs

Fitting into a used gear

Hi. I'm looking for my first used gear. Doing so through internet is slightly more terrifying... I can't put it on and feel if it fits. So first of all, direct example:
There's a guy selling his rig (Vector 3, size 348). The guy's dimensions are:
Height: 69.5"
Weight: 165lbs
Waist: 35.5"
Torso: 17.5"
Legpad: 33"
Inseam: 33"
Chest: 37.5"
Thigh: 24.5"

My dimensions are:
Height: 74.5"
Weight: 165lbs
Waist: 31"
Torso: 18.5"
Legpad: 31.5"
Inseam: 35.5"
Chest: 36.5"
Thigh: 21.5"

Simple question - will it fit me?

Most measurements didn't seem that different except for waist and thigh. Are these very important? I mean the waist for example could be a guy with the same body type but with a beer-belly....

Could you please give me tips on what measurements to pay attention to and how +/- from my own measurements they should be to get a well-fitting rig without getting a chance to actually put it on...

Thanks!

Artis

Ask the manufacturer.

Manufacturers each have different methods of measurement and you can look them up on their websites. A quick email or phone call and they can look up the rig measurements by serial number, compare it to your own (just make sure you have someone measure you who knows how to do so, follow that manufacturer's method, and measure everything 3x to throw out anomalies). I personally would trust the manufacturers specs over a sellers list of measurements, but that's just me.

Based on your measurement list, everything looks pretty close... as long as you both were properly measured and use the same type of torso measurement.

Like sammilieu said, normally you check your own measurements against the recommendations for the rig itself, not against the rig owner's measurements.

This is done because you may not know who the rig was originally built for, or if the owner has changed in dimension (gained or lost weight) or if the owner liked the rig to be slightly larger or smaller than recommended in a certain way.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

This is a decision I have to make as soon as possible. I already tried contacting the manufacturer. UPT are on their traditional shutdown till 11th, so they're not answering. That's why I'm here.
The measurements are the ones the rig was made for, the guy selling the rig send me a copy of the order form he used when ordering the rig.
I did my measurements with the help of another person, I read a lot about how to take measurements, not only from one manufacturer and I did them 5 times to make sure they're correct.
But please, focusing on what I asked, what would you suggest could be a reasonable offset from my body's measurements to still be considered fitting for each measurement? Like +/- 2" for Torso (as an example) and so on...

Thanks.

Why this matters? Does it influences how well the rig fits on my body?

But I would go for a 190 hybrid fabric main canopy first (manufacturer's largest suggested canopy for size 348 container), like Pulse 190 (last 10 jumps on a rented 188 Pilot, loved it). I would probably downgrade after I got through canopy course which I'm planning to do in August.

I would say +/- 1" for torso length (MLW)

You are much skinnier than he was, and so the lats are going to be long and the rig a little too loose I would think, which is a bigger deal if you are backflying or sitflying.

You can always get the MLW and lats changed, but that adds cost. I would budget for a lat change, but others may feel differently.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

arhiivs

Ok. Thanks for your input. I was wondering what could be the effect of the 'beer-belly'. :)

ahem it's called an " aerodynamic fall rate inducer" ;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I would guess the opposite. Main lift web too short for you, but the fact that your thighs and waist are smaller might make it work.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Thanks for that idea. I'll keep this possibility in mind.
But in this particular case seems like there's too many measurements not fitting. UPT wrote me back: "The 5.5” height, 4.5” waist, and 3” thigh difference tell me that the container will not fit you."