Jib

Liberal v Conservative on social issues?

I'm just curious how much social issues define our political leanings. So, do they matter to you politically?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I am fairly liberal on social issues. That means I believe in freedom, not the Democratic party. There's a distinct difference.

In terms of the federal government, I want them out and uninvolved. States should be the ones making those decisions. As to what I think of each issue, well, I tend to be very Libertarian on domestic issues.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

He asked you if you tend towards liberal or conservative. That is not the same as asking if you are Democrat or Republican. Any "independent thinking progressive" should know that.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

He asked you if you tend towards liberal or conservative. That is not the same as asking if you are Democrat or Republican. Any "independent thinking progressive" should know that.

There are more areas of the political spectrum then conservative/ liberal.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

There are more areas of the political spectrum then conservative/ liberal.

Oh? Elaborate...

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

***There are more areas of the political spectrum then conservative/ liberal.

Technically, Liberal and Conservative are directions on the polictical compass. Different labels such as "progressive" "autharitarian" "anarchist" fall within the liberal/progressive compass.

He's not referring to the common political, slanderous uses of liberal and conservative that people sling around as an adjective.

I think of it like Michael Badnirik said in his Constitution class.

There are four directions:

One way wants to control your money, but allow you to think for yourself, which tend to be your liberals

The opposite direction wants you to spend your own money, but they want to tell you how to think. These are your Conservatives.

A third direction wants to spend your money for you, and tell you how to think. These are the fascists, and similar type governments.

A fourth direction wants you to spend your own money and think for yourself, which is what the Libertarians claim to do.

Nothing says that a political party has to go in only one of these directions, their is area in between like walking NE.

I'll spell it out for you.

Ess Oh See Eye Ay Ell - - Eye Ess Ess You Ee Ess

SOCIAL issues.

They are distinctly different from economic policy issues, national defense/security issues, foreign policy issues, et al.
witty subliminal message
1*

SOCIAL issues.

They are distinctly different from economic policy issues, national defense/security issues, foreign policy issues, et al.

I don't think the two are seperable. We rarely get to distinguish when we vote. Besides, aren't social issues abroad a part of our foreign policy, ie. promoting democracy and human rights abroad, AIDS research? Poor economic policies cause social problems, so isn't that really a social issue? The patriot act was implemented for national security reasons, but it curtails civil liberties, so I would consider that a social issue.

I'm not seeing your distinction.

aren't social issues abroad a part of our foreign policy, ie. promoting democracy and human rights abroad, AIDS research? Poor economic policies cause social problems, so isn't that really a social issue? The patriot act was implemented for national security reasons, but it curtails civil liberties, so I would consider that a social issue.

No, no, and no.

Promoting anything abroad is foreign policy.
Economic policy can affect everything, that does not mean it is the same thing.

"Gun, God, Gays" and the like are social issues. Civil liberties. ID Checkpoints. Freedom (or lack thereof) of expression. Information sharing capabilities. Those things are social issues.
witty subliminal message
1*

I agree, but we don'y usually have the luxury of making that academic distinction in the real world. One affects the other. There's no way to get around that. It isn't a black and white world.

In terms of the federal government, I want them out and uninvolved. States should be the ones making those decisions.

Why is that? Do you think the states are better at making the decisions than central gov't or is it just better to have one less level of beaurocracy?

If complete lack of federal involvement lead to large differences in state laws couldn't that cause some, (looking for the right word), friction within the US?

I'm just thinking out loud, I've never given that sort of thing much consideration before, how do you see it?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Do you think the states are better at making the decisions than central gov't or is it just better to have one less level of beaurocracy?

Two things to think about:
50 states can try 50 different ways to do something in an effort to get it right.
State laws are tailored to a state's rather than every state's needs and goals.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'm fiscally conservative, but the really important thing is that the government (at all levels) has absolutely no business telling me or my family how to behave as long as we don't infringe on the rights of others.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm an extreme Liberal and and extreme Conservative on social issues.

I think, for example, that Christianity (or any other religion) has no real place in the establishment in this country. I also think that the government has no business regulating marriage.

But I think that "Affirmative Action" is just another name for institutionalized racism.

And I have dozens of other positions that are firmly planted at opposite ends of the typical American "Liberal-Conservative" spectrum.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For a not quite so simplified (but still, in my opinion oversimplified) political spectrum, see the 2-D map at the end of the Quiz on the Libertarian Party website.

I once had a poli sci professor who had (not kidding) a six dimensional mathematical model of political orientation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For a not quite so simplified (but still, in my opinion oversimplified) political spectrum, see the 2-D map at the end of the Quiz on the Libertarian Party website.

Good grief, according to that map I am a hardcore Libertarian...LoL...:D...

I once had a poli sci professor who had (not kidding) a six dimensional mathematical model of political orientation.

I'm just curious, is there anyway I can access that online or do you have some sort of copy that you could send me...I'm interested in seeing it...sounds weird yet fascinating...

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

GO GOVERNATOR! soon to be President of the United Statesinator!

OK, um, not a chance in hell. He'll get my vote when kallend votes for Trent Lott or another Bush.

Also not possible without an amendment to the constitution. Not so soon, afterall, eh?
witty subliminal message
1*

In a political sense, I'm pretty liberal when it comes to social issues. I disagree with a few of the stands the left wing takes (affirmative action, political correctness etc) and am ambivalent on others (unions) but in general I think people should be able to worship, love, act, and work however they want, without government interference or prejudice.